dirtsurfer + speedboard + roobster?

nate55123

10 µW
Recently, it looks like there has been kind of a demand for 2 wheel boards, with the speedboard and the roobster making some traction. I like the concepts, but there are some things that I would do differently. For one, I prefer the size of the dirtsurfer's wheels over the speedboard. Larger wheels would hopefully reduce amp draw on softer terrain.

Also, the speedboard and the roobster sit at almost axle height. I'd hope that lowering and widening the deck would decrease the need to mongo push, but we'll see. I think it'd be great to be able to push the board up to speed to save some battery.

Interestingly, all boards have different caster angles. The roobster has a positive caster angle, the speedboard has a neutral one with a virtual pivot point, and the dirtsurfer negative. The DIY version that I saw on here had a positive caster angle as well. I designed this one with a positive caster because it incorporates itself into the design better and has some benefits for high speed and cornering.

I also added suspension. Who doesn't like suspension? I'm planning on having about 4 inches of clearance with 1.5 inches travel. Should be plenty for most things.

And lastly, I'd add disc brakes with a wired throttle. I'm just not a fan of the idea that I could end up at the bottom of a hill to just realize that my remote lost connection, and then T-bone a bus. I do understand the appeal of a wireless remote, but it's just not for me.

The deck rails are 1 inch aluminum square tubing. This gives me just enough space to use 21700s for a 13s4p battery. Plus it's cheap.

Unfortunately, I will have to find a service to machine some of the hinges for me, which may be waaay out of my budget. All I have is a hand drill and an angle grinder. I'm by no means a mechanical engineer, so I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about the design.

Other proposed stats:
Wheelbase: about 52 inches
Deck length: 33 inches
Hub motor: 750w geared hub motor
Tires: 16x4 (actual diameter 19")
Suspension: cheap 100mm scooter shocks
Deck material: probably aluminum, carbon fiber is not in my budget
Hinge material: 1018 steel

Attachments

• bottom.png
    bottom.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,989
  • top.png
    top.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,988
  • iso.png
    iso.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,991
  • side.png
    side.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,988
  • Top steer.png
    Top steer.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,989
nate55123 said:
Also, the speedboard and the roobster sit at almost axle height. I'd hope that lowering and widening the deck would decrease the need to mongo push, but we'll see.
<snip>
I also added suspension. Who doesn't like suspension?
How much travel does the suspension have?

Is this close to or in excess of the deck height?

The lower your deck height, the more likely it is some road imperfection will either damage the board or you, by suddenly slowing the board down without cancelling your own inertia. ;)

I would have to experiment with that. The mounting points for the shocks can be moved depending on how high I want the board to sit. There's this fine line between going lower for stability and going higher for cushy suspension. Ive ridden drop through decks that are less than an inch off the ground and those can definitely be inconvenient at times, but the stability is really nice. I'd also have to play around with spring strength.

For comparison, the Baja Board G4X has a ground clearance of 3.5 inches and a travel of 55 mm (2.16"). I'd like to configure this board around those specs.

Built the board

I simplified the steering and allowed for adjustment to the caster and offset. Really glad I did that because it definitely needed the ability to be tuned.

Overall I love how it rides. It's unstable under walking speed and the turn radius is quite large, but that was expected. I've had no issues with ground clearance so far either and passed the speed bump test. It also does surprisingly well on grass and loose dirt when compared to a onewheel.

Pavement test ride:
https://youtu.be/zRRaXljawSQ

cheapcookie said:
super cool!, why is the throttle wired?

Because it's a geared hub motor, it freewheels and isn't able to regen, so the brake must be mechanical and wired. Because of that, there really wasn't any advantages to going wireless if I have to hold a wired brake anyway. Although in the future I could make an ankle brake similar to what the dirtsurfer used, which would free up that option.

Here's a picture of the board

Attachments

• 20210712_193248.jpg
    20210712_193248.jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 988
  • Screenshot_20210712-210123_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210712-210123_Gallery.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 985
Back