48V Battery Configuration Using liFePo4 Batteries / Need Help

aztecsurf

100 µW
I have three liFePo4 batteries that I would like to use in my Goped electric scooter. The scooter originally came with 4 12v lead acid batteries in a 24V configuration.

I would like to run a 48V configuration by getting one more matching liFePo4 battery to make a total of 4.

I plan on connecting these to a VESC controller and a brushless motor. Probably a 6374 or higher Flipsky.

I am wondering if I could connect 4 of them in series and if possible charge them daily using only one charger.

I know that a lot of companies that sell these say you have to charge them separately. Is this true, or could I get a compatible lithium charger that allow me to charge all 4 running 48V at once?

I attached a photo of the three batteries I have right now. If you guys have any suggestions I would love to hear it.

I do have experience with the VESC controller and also building electric skateboards, but they are just a one battery configuration.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• PXL_20210209_020921408.jpg
    PXL_20210209_020921408.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 502
Those batteries are rated for only 20A continuous discharge, which may not be enough to power your scooter. Find out whether that will do it.

If your controller demands more than 20A but less than 40A, then using those 12V batteries in 2S2P configuration would run your scooter, but only at 24V.

Back