New Razor EcoSmart SUP, upgrade recommendations?

AWDDude

1 mW
Just purchased a new Razor Ecosmart SUP electric scooter. This is a newish model from razor similar to their older ecosmart metro, but with a hub motor and no seat. Its a pretty awesome ride with giant 16inch wheels and wide deck. I purchased it knowing i would want to modify it for more power/speed and longer range. At 36 volts, the motor produces negligible heat even while going up hill, so I want to over drive it to 60v. From what I can tell a 60v 20ah battery should fit with plenty of room to spare in the battery compartment.

The worst thing about the scooter and the first thing I will be replacing is the brake system. The factory belt/drum brake is horrible, its got plenty of stopping power but its veryyy grabby and will lockup the rear wheel. I have tried adjusting it with little to no success. The rear part of the frame has holes that look like they are specifically designed for disc brake calipers but I will have to fabricate something to mount the disc to the wheel.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cost effective 60volt brushless controller? I also would like some recommendations for 60volt 20ah batteries.

it all depends from how many Amps you are able to put on your motor. Are you sure it can run @ 60V ?

I think it will be able to handle it but, if it becomes a problem I have some ideas for cooling the motor, it that is not enough then I will look into rewinding or even a new motor.

So far I have upgraded the throttle, the stock twist throttle was a PITA, I went to a thumb throttle, but I'm not sure how much i like it yet. I also put some better MTB style lock on grips on the handle bars. And I was able to upgrade the brake to mechanical disc, but again I don't know how much better it is, I think hydraulic brakes will be much better.

I'm still looking for a good 60v battery, and brushless controller. Please feel free to offer any suggestions for either.

Skippo said:
How did you mount the disk to the hub motor?

Actually I found a part on Amazon that works perfectly. It replaces the stock drum and allows you to bolt a disc on. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XTM3S7W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

60v conversion completed

So I just finished upgrade if my scooter from 36v to 60v. I used one of the higher rated Chinese 60v 20ah lithium battery packs from unit pack power:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CDLJQS3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_EXXH46KVTG5XR3Z78AMD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
For the controller I opted for a Kelly Kls-7212n
The surprising part is how well the battery fits in the chassis. The height and width are a perfect for the cassis. Even the controller fits perfectly:
20A151AB-2ABF-46B9-BA24-53DB210A9C34.jpeg

The stock motor on 60v absolutely rips. The phase wires are probably a little on the thin side for the allot of amps I’m pushing now. I’ll take a look at replacing them this weekend with thicker gauge wiring.

I found out that my problem I was having with the brakes was caused by a delayed regen braking that the stock controller was doing when I hit the brakes. It would start regen about half a second after I pulled the brake lever which would often lead to locking up the rear wheel.

Skippo said:

I was trying to do that. But having a hell of a time getting the drum off. Spraying penetrating oil, heating, hose clamp with hammer, even added a long angle iron still couldn't get it off. Any tips

Attachments

• 16430641532041014575776367924904.jpg
    16430641532041014575776367924904.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,610
Skippo said:
Skippo said:

I was trying to do that. But having a hell of a time getting the drum off. Spraying penetrating oil, heating, hose clamp with hammer, even added a long angle iron still couldn't get it off. Any tips

Something like a slide hammer hooked into the holes on the drum would work. I don’t have a slide hammer so I took a piece of scrap angle iron and ground a hook into one of the corners and hit it with a 3lb sledgehammer, while the wheel was clamped onto a table.

Skippo said:
I added front brake to my e200. About to do the same for the ecosmart metro.

Yeah i thought about adding a brake like that but now that I figured out the issue with the delayed regen breaking I’m much happier with just the rear brake. Plus I feel like I’m more likely to go over the handle bars on a standup scooter during a panic brake. I do however want to upgrade to a good hydraulic rear brake.

Check out this video.
Maybe a bigger disc is better way to go.
Or do both hydraulic and bigger disc.
https://youtu.be/FJe99BjV8bM

I want to try out one of these dual pull brake lever.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Alloy-Dual-Brake-Lever/dp/B00L2PS3I8
Maybe I can get it to pull rear to front brake in order

Yes for raw breaking performance bigger rotors are the way to go. But for me it’s less about breaking power, the crappy mech brakes I have can lock up the rear wheel, and more about brake feel. A good hydraulic brake system just has a better feel, is more controllable, and not all that much more expensive.

Ic. Do share your though after the up grade. My metro don't have the bracket ready for the caliper so I will have to get one weld on. I will have to look for one too.
Can you share a picture of how you dropout look like from the caliper side.

I love the upgrades. It has enough power to get me up any hill here in my town, and the range is quite impressive. I took it on a 16 mile ride this weekend and my estimates are that it was about 1/3 drained. I wasn’t full throttle, but I stayed at 15-20 mph the entire time. Max speed seems to be about 25mph.

As requested here are some pics of the rear brake.

Attachments

• C63D2272-3C8A-4C07-97BF-541C4CA4188C.jpeg
    C63D2272-3C8A-4C07-97BF-541C4CA4188C.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,521
  • 54DD21C5-545A-4FEA-B70A-2DBB731B5050.jpeg
    54DD21C5-545A-4FEA-B70A-2DBB731B5050.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,521
Hi, Love your mod. You mention you had a 5 sec delay in re-gen braking with the stock controller. I did not think the original controller has re-gen braking as a feature but I don't really know. Do you get the regen braking feature using your new controller?

WOW! I really can't believe how well the battery fits. Did you specify a size with the vendor when you bought it? I see there is a picture< in the amazon link, that you can request a custom size. I'm looking at lithium batteries to upgrade my scooter too!

I love the upgrades. It has enough power to get me up any hill here in my town, and the range is quite impressive. I took it on a 16 mile ride this weekend and my estimates are that it was about 1/3 drained. I wasn’t full throttle, but I stayed at 15-20 mph the entire time. Max speed seems to be about 25mph.

As requested here are some pics of the rear brake.
Hello Awd. I have been reading your thread about the razor ecosmart and thanks to you i will soon have disk brakes on my ecosmart. What size rotors did you use.

Last edited:
Hello Awd. I have been reading your thread about the razor ecosmart and thanks to you i will soon have disk brakes on my ecosmart. What size rotors did you use.
I used some extra rotor I had lying around from a bike I built a few years ago, I believe it is 160mm. For the most part 160mm was fine but the mechanical caliper was less than desirable, it would flex under high pressure and was pretty susceptible to brake fade. I recently upgraded to a nice shimano br-mt520 hydraulic 4 piston caliper with sintered pads and wow what a difference! Brake fade is non existent, and the lever requires much less effort, while still being much more controllable and consistent, I can’t recommend it enough.

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpeg
    IMG_1842.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1840.jpeg
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1841.jpeg
    IMG_1841.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
Hi, Love your mod. You mention you had a 5 sec delay in re-gen braking with the stock controller. I did not think the original controller has re-gen braking as a feature but I don't really know. Do you get the regen braking feature using your new controller?
Yes my new controller is a Kelly kls-n which supports regenerative braking, I have it disabled atm since I have sooo much battery capacity, I don’t really need it, and my disc brake system is very effective.

WOW! I really can't believe how well the battery fits. Did you specify a size with the vendor when you bought it? I see there is a picture< in the amazon link, that you can request a custom size. I'm looking at lithium batteries to upgrade my scooter too!
Believe it or not, that is the default size of the 60v 20ah battery from unit pack power. It just happened to fit perfectly.

Back