Unconventional throttle wiring assistance

jeancks

1 mW
So, I have a 1000w brushed dc motor. I have a 1000w brushed controller. Now I read somewhere that you can wire a brushless throttle to a brushed controller. My throttle has the key switch wires/2, a red, black, green, blue and yellow. Where as my controller throttle has 3 wires, there is a key switch port, indicator port, motor, 2 brake ports, a sport port, brake lights, and charging port. I am uncertain as to how to properly wire this together to make it work correctly. I will gladly provide pictures of the controller and throttle if needed. And of course, I could just be out of my mind and have accidentally jumbled up my throttle knowledge. Thanks for any assistance provided.

Maybe get photos of the wires/connectors on both and whatever other details can be found (labels/markings on the controller for example). Depending on its age and obscurity your DC controller may be designed for a potentiometer throttle, hopefully not and trying it out shouldn't do any harm. The red and black wires on the throttle are usually the hall sensors power inputs (5vdc and earth) and one of the coloured wires its output, often all three together on one plug but not always.

With photos someone can probably identify the throttle type immediately but I'd suggest taking it apart and checking the connections to be certain. Three of the wires should go to a small transistor-like thing (search "hall sensor") that sits close to a magnet built into the twistgrip and that sensor should have tiny model number markings. If it's just red, black and a colour then you're almost good to go but if they're random colours you'll have to check which is which by searching for a datasheet using the model number and I'd suggest doing that anyway to double check the input voltage, it's pretty much always 5v but it's not impossible you could have something weird expecting a different voltage.

Next check the controller, test the voltage between the red and black on it's throttle connector to verify it's 5v (within about 0.5v) and you should be good to go, red to red, black to black and whatever colour the signal wire was to the last one. If it's expecting a potentiometer throttle then it might run slowly but not stop when the throttle is released or it might not run at all if it's expecting zero throttle input at startup but fingers crossed the throttle will be ok. It could also expect a pair of wires to be connected before starting, that should be the other wires an your throttle and one is usually main battery voltage, not sure how that fits in with your controller though.

The controller is new. I purchased it from Amazon. The brand is L-Faster. Their diagrams are normal. However I cannot find a diagram that shows a brush controller with brushless throttle. Yet, I read about t in forums and such as being a thing.

No. I wired it up the way I thought it should be and the motor does not engage. I think it might be something to do with the key switch not responding; however I haven't had time this week to mess with it.

Screenshot_20210928-124552.pngScreenshot_20210928-124507.png

These are the throttle and controller. I thought it would be straight forward. The colors match up. I didn't think it was a throttle with hall sensors and such. However, a buddy of mine told me otherwise when he was trying to help me.

Screenshot_20210928-125620.png

I also have this throttle; that I know is brushless. The white and black wires are hall sensors. I believe it has 5 other wires. I figured black to black and red to red. Green to green. And I thought the blue and yellow would be the ones to connect to the battery.

I believe the solution to your wiring is as follows...

Using the twist throttle with key (and purhaps LED voltage display), and with the actual controller wiring colors and labels matching the wiring diagram you provided.

THROTTLE......................................CONTROLLER

YELLOW wire to----------------- RED wire of POWER LOCKS CONNECTOR. (Also labeled SWITCH)
BLUE wire to--------------------- BLUE wire of POWER LOCKS CONNECTOR.
RED wire to---------------------- RED wire of THROTTLE CONNECTOR.
BLACK wire to------------------- BLACK wire of THROTTLE CONNECTOR.
GREEN wire to ------------------ GREEN wire of THROTTLE CONNECTOR.

Full battery power is switched thru the throttle key switch to provide full battery power to the controller's ignition or key switch circuit. This energizes the electronic circuitry of the controller and allows operation. This circuit is high voltage, but low current.
Verify that 5vdc becomes available between the RED and BLACK wiring of the throttle only AFTER the key switch is turned to the "ON" position. Should be good to go.

Regards,
T.C.

Is there anything in the key switch itself that could be faulty? Something that may make the scooter acknowledge power but not allow it to switch to engage the motor?

jeancks said:
Is there anything in the key switch itself that could be faulty? Something that may make the scooter acknowledge power but not allow it to switch to engage the motor?

The key switch is just an on/off contact switch actuated by turning your key.

Things to check when the key is turned to the "ON" position...
That your LED voltage display comes on and displays the correct voltage .
That full battery power is present on the BLUE wire from the throttle, with good connection going to the controller
5vdc is present between the throttle's RED and BLACK wires.

If you pass these tests...
Disconnect any connections to your BRAKE controller connectors and test. (Must not be shorted or wired closed)
Take a voltage reading on the throttle signal wire (voltage between GREEN and BLACK throttle wires) should be ~.8vdc closed, to ~3.6vdc at WOT. Back probing with it connected up.

Looking forward to your testing results.

Back