Building 4wd

theprodigyp

100 mW
Hello, it's been a very long time since I've done the research on here. I have previously built a 2wd e-mountain board back in 2014. Since then I've wanted to do more. I understand the concept of wiring 2 motors/2 escs into one receiver to be controlled together. My question now is how can I make that wiring into 4wd. I have a small kids go-kart/drift kart I have found that would be perfect for this. The only thing I need help with the electrical. The mechanics are easy & the engineering for the build is simple. I am planning on running 4x turnigy 190kv motors together with 4x ESCs. At least that's what I would think. Any tips?

If you've already setup two with common controls, etc., then four should be the same, unless there is some specific restriction with the hardware you are using that prevents that.

If you want the system to have one set independent from the other for any reason, or in any way, then you'd need to separate those specific things. (like one set powered by different battery for redundancy, or one set controlled by different throttle or brake for whatever reason, etc).

How you set it up will depend on exactly what you want it to do for you.

amberwolf said:
If you've already setup two with common controls, etc., then four should be the same, unless there is some specific restriction with the hardware you are using that prevents that.

If you want the system to have one set independent from the other for any reason, or in any way, then you'd need to separate those specific things. (like one set powered by different battery for redundancy, or one set controlled by different throttle or brake for whatever reason, etc).

How you set it up will depend on exactly what you want it to do for you.

From my setup the way my wiring was /is I had 2 twin motors, each on their own ESC and each of those ran off a separate battery. So my system was 2 motors, 2 ESC, ran to one receiver on the same channel. I used a Y-type connection to run both ESC into one channel, but I don't know how to run 4. That would require at least from my knowledge using another channel, which would mean I think I'd run 2 motors off one channel (the trigger) than the other 2 would have to be run on another channel (using the steering) from the remote. Or is that wrong and I can wire all 4 up to 2 channels and still use the trigger. I plan on running each together & not on 2 separate circuits. I want to be able to pull the trigger much like a Drone (quad copter) system. I will rewire the remote to the chassis of the vehicle so when I push a leaver down it goes forward, middle is stop, and reverse is pulling up.

Back