E-TWOW: Installing other brand's motor/wheel combination

ee1337

1 µW
I'm wondering if it would be feasible to install a motor/wheel combination on an E-TWOW that I would source from another brand? Assuming same voltage capability. Are there big differences in wire configuration, signal from controllers, etc?

This is mostly because I would like a pneumatic tire for my E-TWOW front end. I know I can get a pneumatic tire for the non-drive rear-end.

How handy are you at wiring and splicing and connections and heat shrink?
Skip your fantasy and step up to the plate with your wallet and just buy a new etwow, complete and running.... please do not penny pinch. Just wait a bit and save up.

ee1337 said:
I'm wondering if it would be feasible to install a motor/wheel combination on an E-TWOW that I would source from another brand? Assuming same voltage capability. Are there big differences in wire configuration, signal from controllers, etc?

This is mostly because I would like a pneumatic tire for my E-TWOW front end. I know I can get a pneumatic tire for the non-drive rear-end.

I'm actually pretty handy. But I'm not asking about fixing an old E-twow, it's brand new.

Looking for experts advice for first approach into this project.

You like the tires with air in them, just swap things over.
You are the first to do such a thing, just do it.
Not sure why you'd fk two perfectly good, working units up swapping things over.
What happened? The one with the air tires doesnt have enough power?
Just buy one with high power with air tires, the rub would be, is there such a beast higher in power.
Swapping things over is just a matter of inspecting what you have, seeing what you need and doing it.

I'd be interested in a thread you started, posting pictures on your efforts.

ee1337 said:
I'm actually pretty handy. But I'm not asking about fixing an old E-twow, it's brand new.

Looking for experts advice for first approach into this project.

'm wondering if it would be feasible to install a motor/wheel combination on an E-TWOW that I would source from another brand? Assuming same voltage capability. Are there big differences in wire configuration, signal from controllers, etc?

ee1337 said:

A man want what a man want. Especially when it comes to his tires :wink:
Here is my answer to you questions. After you found a hub motor set up that will fit into you fork and stay in when you ride.
You will have to connect between 8 to 9 wires. Brushless motor commonly have 3 phase wire for power. And 5 or 6 wire for hall sensors and temperature sensor.
Depend on the company ever the plug looks identical the wire might still not match up. You will need to test each one of them and hope you won't short out any of the hall sensor along the way.
So the hardest part it to figure out which wire is which.
Dig around ES I am sure somewhere there is a tutorial on how to identify them.
Good luck

Just to clarify in case I wasn't clear in my OP. I have the perfect scooter (portability, < 30 lbs, speed and range) but it has solid tires (only downside for me). I want air tires for safety (increased grip) and comfort. There is no such combination on the market today. On scooters you can't just swap the solid rubber for air tires since the rims aren't designed for it. You have to change the whole wheel. That includes the motor as well. I don't have the luxury of time so I was wondering if someone else had made this type of swap.

If not that's OK and I will see what I can do... at some point.

If you ever do have the spare time to experiment:

I don't know if the motors are the same capability (power, speed (kV), etc), or what wiring either uses (sensorless, hall sensors, etc), but IIRC the Xiaomi M365 uses pneumatic tires.

Something that is fairly common on ebike hubmotors is that the "generic" DD versions use the same rotor diameter (probably using the same steel pipe size to cut the rotor rings from), so you can often swap rotors between different brands/models of motor, meaning you can then "upgrade" your bike without replacing the whole wheel, just the core. (assuming the side covers of the old rotor will hold the axle, etc, and clear the new stator, etc).

If the same is true of the scooter DD hubmotors, you may be able to just take the rotor (which includes the rim) off the M365 (or whatever) wheel and put it on your stator in place of the solid-tire version you have now.

Unfortunately the measurements you need to find this out are not typically available, so you would probalby have to buy a motor of the type you want to use and just try it.

It's likely easier just to go ahead and try the new motor as-is first, so I'd do that before swapping parts around, and hten if it doesn't perform as expected, then try the rotor swap.

Back