trigger/finger throttle replacement question

drewbob

100 µW
I have a 36 volt Ecolo Cycle (Chinese clone?) scooter with a 6-pin throttle I need to replace. When it comes to these throttles, there’s several that look very similar, and I don’t know what one will work for my scooter. The manufacturer hasn’t replied. It turns on with a 60v throttle borrowed from a Mototec Thor, but that gives an e10 error. Does anyone know what throttle would work? Wondering if any 6-pin QS-S4 36v throttle will work.

photo of the throttle attached
product url: https://www.ecolo-cycle.com/product-page/copy-of-lithium?lang=en
useful site about this throttle style: https://electric-scooter.guide/guides/qs-s4-lcd-throttle/

--
I run a small scooter repair shop from my home. I currently need to learn way more about rewiring controllers on dual motor scooters and I’m willing to pay someone to act as my consultant on those issues!
1660097822-571164-20220809-124433.jpg

1660097823-194411-20220809-124441.jpg

Hi,
Reading your posts about various 'throttle' replacements, I have no specialized knowlege beyond swapping out my own.
Consider applying your electronic trouble shooting techniques to this situation you encounter regularly.
Testing voltage and continity then function.
This time you've written that you've powered up, so have you discovered 2 of 6 wires for power?
I know one wire will be a 5V signal, one a gound, can you proceed this way testing the 'throttle' and the skoot?
Perhaps using a 5V voltage source test the throttle, you know it could be a bad ground.
Good Luck

Hey there! I can't help much because of inexperience, but I have a couple of these throttles (labelled SL-100) that I could snag pictures of it if you needed- one 36v and the other 36/48.
I've heard of none that are 60v and your error on the Thor is likely due to too little voltage causing some kind of voltage cutoff.

It might be necessary to verify the wiring and make sure the colors match. Some manufacturers rearrange their pins so only their throttle is plug-and-play compatible. It is best to buy the controller + throttle combos. I hope this helps.

Some manufacturers rearrange their pins so only their throttle is plug-and-play compatible. It is best to buy the controller + throttle combos. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the last bit there. It's hard to tell when they use the waterproof connectors, but otherwise I'll be checking for that.
I did run into one (mototec thor) where the wires changed colors at the waterproof connector.
I know one wire will be a 5V signal, one a gound, can you proceed this way testing the 'throttle' and the skoot?
So 2 for power, 1 5v signal, I think 2 for data, and I'm not sure what pin 6 would be. Any idea of color standards?
black/red = power
green or white = 5v
I could snag pictures of it if you needed-
Thanks for the offer. For some reason this site isn't notifying me of forum replies.

So 2 for power, 1 5v signal, I think 2 for data, and I'm not sure what pin 6 would be. Any idea of color standards?
black/red = power
green or white = 5v

Hi drewbob,

I found this whist doing a bit of research. May get you in the ballpark as far as what you're looking for.

jp-36v-60v-lcd-display-throttle-6pin.jpg

As found here... J&P 36V-60V LCD display Throttle 6pin

I look at things a bit differently here... With me thinking that the throttle is a hall sensor finger throttle that is incorporated into a LCD Display. Being that the two can be troubleshot independently if desired.

It is best to buy the controller + throttle combos. I hope this helps.
Agree 100% as manufacturers can program the firmware for the display any way they want. With the functions and features that their controllers are capable of.

If the problem is just with the throttle output. It may be possible to just address this part of the display.
I've even seen some mods that replace the display's integrated finger throttle with a remote half twist handlebar throttle wired back into the display. Because it reduces stress on the finger positioning and is more comfortable.

For detailed information on checking hall throttle output, see this thread...

Guide to Hall Sensor Throttle operation, testing, and modification.

As far as the communication issue with the temporary display. It could also be...

Different display firmware programming as mentioned above.
Lack of main battery voltage getting to controller on the "Ignition" circuit not allowing the controller to power up.
Or bad wire or mis-wired harness preventing the TX information from the controller to reach the displays RX terminal.

A thorough wire tracing from controller PCB landing spots thru connectors to displays PCB landing spots may uncover inconsistencies.

What is the exact nature of the problem of the original Display/throttle?

Regards,
T.C.

Back