GalWiii - software/hardware for controlling e-boards

galp

100 W
Hello,
my name is Gal and I'm from Slovenia, EU.

Recently I started developing software/hardware for controlling all kinds of e-boards that use any kind of RC ESC. Here is a simple diagram how software works and what it does:
block%20diagram.png

GalWii is arm based so it has a lot of processing power allowing many possibilities to extend it's usage and compatibility.

For now GalWii can:
-process throttle signal and send it to ESCs,
-display data on LCD.

In the future GalWii could:
-log all data from sensors,
-log gps data,
-have advanced control of each motor (ESP, ABS, etc.),
-be programmable from PC,
-be programmable and controlled from android device,
-etc.

What feature would you also like to see in future GalWii?

This is how PCB boards looks like:

IMG_5547.jpg

It is really simple to connect everything.
IMG_5548.jpg

And this is the first prototype of housing. 3D printed. LCD is protected with 3mm thick "bulletproof" glass. 8)
IMG_5550.jpg

Thats it for now. Stay tuned for more in the future. :D

a shunt or hall sensor for current measurement would be awsome!

this would mean you could implement current control or power control (way better than speed control IMO)

it that would also mean you could also log current, voltage, power down the road (like a cycle analyst)

Hi Galp

Looks like a very cool idea. look forward to progress on this.

Have you tested your programner with various ESCs say alien, hobbyking, hobbywing, turnigy, flier, castle... etc? There seems to be differences in how these react to different controllers, you might want to take a look at the hurdles Austin has had to overcome with his wiimote as I believe you will be confronted with problems along the same lines.

We are a great test group because we all have different setups... we are a very difficult test group because we all have different setups.

Good luck and keep us updated.

That's an interesting project. It seems like you're planning on reading the PPM signal from an RC receiver, and sending it out to ESCs, so this unit would be attached between the RC receiver and ESC... is that right? Where do you mount this on the board? Is it a data logger, or used for info while riding?

nieles said:
a shunt or hall sensor for current measurement would be awsome!

this would mean you could implement current control or power control (way better than speed control IMO)

it that would also mean you could also log current, voltage, power down the road (like a cycle analyst)

That is a great idea, looking forward to add the amp meter. :D

beto_pty said:
Hi Galp

Looks like a very cool idea. look forward to progress on this.

Have you tested your programner with various ESCs say alien, hobbyking, hobbywing, turnigy, flier, castle... etc? There seems to be differences in how these react to different controllers, you might want to take a look at the hurdles Austin has had to overcome with his wiimote as I believe you will be confronted with problems along the same lines.

We are a great test group because we all have different setups... we are a very difficult test group because we all have different setups.

Good luck and keep us updated.

I did a bit of research and found out all RC ESCs need 50Hz pwm signal (width from 1ms to 2ms). It is a really simple thing. This picture explains it:
using_rc_motor_speed.jpg

austindavid said:
That's an interesting project. It seems like you're planning on reading the PPM signal from an RC receiver, and sending it out to ESCs, so this unit would be attached between the RC receiver and ESC... is that right? Where do you mount this on the board? Is it a data logger, or used for info while riding?

That is one option, to keep RC transmitter/receiver.
The second option is to have a wire remote for riders who have V-brakes installed. See my video here: http://youtu.be/h1wiu7wGSHU
I used thumb throttle that came with e-bike motor controller(my old project). Its a simple idea because if you are using V brakes (picture: http://goo.gl/xiEqWo) you need a wire, so why not add another for throttle and keep things simple.
The third option is a Bluetooth remote. Again not that hard to build.

Thanks guys for support and ideas. :D

Looks good! Any idea on the cost of one of these? I would like to see this being a $35-$50 product. For the LCD, you can put the percentage of battery life left and the calculated mileage that the board can go with the remaining energy.

Maybe you can have a basic version and an advanced version. I know I don't need to have a GPS and hall sensor on mine; I just want something so that I can connect my wii nunchuck to (like torqueboard's receiver).

Carbon said:
Looks good! Any idea on the cost of one of these? I would like to see this being a $35-$50 product. For the LCD, you can put the percentage of battery life left and the calculated mileage that the board can go with the remaining energy.

Maybe you can have a basic version and an advanced version. I know I don't need to have a GPS and hall sensor on mine; I just want something so that I can connect my wii nunchuck to (like torqueboard's receiver).

Well gps could be like an extension or extra module. Yes, lcd will have the battery percantage, since there will be a current meter it will be really easy to compute if you know the capacity of the battery.

I'm calculating costs. I think it will be in the range you specified. :D

austindavid said:
You mention it could "be programmable and controlled from android device;" can you give details on this?

I could connect Bluetooth module on serial port. I don't have any experience with android apps. Maybe someone could do that. Processor could send important data to your android phone, where you could view your riding statistics (distance, top speed, battery status, amperage, etc.). You could also program GalWii, to set a speed limit or acceleration power or stuff like that.

I'm also going to make this opensource. :D

Dude, go for it!

This would be really welcome for European ES'ers since shipping costs are still a pain for small packages over the seas.

If you need help testing/sourcing/programming, I'd be happy to. I just got me an Arduino Uno and finished the 15 starter projects :D Trying to get into µcontrollers and electronics that way.

If you can pull it off, I will finally get rid of the big hobbyking gun! ^^

Murfix said:
Dude, go for it!

This would be really welcome for European ES'ers since shipping costs are still a pain for small packages over the seas.

If you need help testing/sourcing/programming, I'd be happy to. I just got me an Arduino Uno and finished the 15 starter projects :D Trying to get into µcontrollers and electronics that way.

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. I think i should also develop one really small wireless remote that fits in hand nicely. :)

I had time today to solder the very first prototype of GalWii. This is how it looks:
IMG_5551.jpg

Bottom white wires are connected to LCD.

I want one already, great work! Things I would like:

- support for Wii nunchuck control
- programmable fuel gauge, for say: percentage left, km left or something alike.

Android communication would be really great, could just completely take off the lcd then! Guess it just depends on what is simpler/smaller/cheaper, a screen or a bt module and app.

Keep it up!

Edit: Oh, and an integrated solution for small lighting systems would be great! Guess either 5v or 12v would do. I have no clue how to do that tho, so might be utopic.

galp said:
Murfix said:
Dude, go for it!

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. I think i should also develop one really small wireless remote that fits in hand nicely. :)

I had time today to solder the very first prototype of GalWii. This is how it looks:
IMG_5551.jpg

Bottom white wires are connected to LCD.

Very very nice! Have you considered buying the I²C version of the LCD, thay way, you only need like 3 wires from the pcb to the LCD.

Hey, you guys seem to know all about remote controls ... I am currently in search of a remote control for my electric skateboard as it was missing when I bought it second hand . Do you know how I can find out what type of controller I need?
It has a motor with two wires out
3 batteries 12v 9ah
Sensory pad
And the controller box with three seperate plugs out
Trying to find a chip but it's all enclosed?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Love the idea of all of this, especially the potential to link up to my samsung galaxy. Ideally I'd rather not mount the LCD screen to the board, but it would be awesome to have all of that info available on an ap.

Back