Hall sensored setup: does it work properly?

Murfix

100 W
Hey guys,

Who is using a sensored setup and likes its performance?

I find mine disappointing. It doesn't seem to run any smoother than my regular setup. I was at least expecting for it to start from standstill in a smooth way.

Am I using bad components, or is this the case for everyone?

I've been thinking about setting one of my boards up sensored. How is it disappointing? Will it not start from a standstill? That would be my only reason for trying it.

Are you running 2 50mm motors? I'd be running 2 63mm motors if I do it.

I assume there's more to it than adding hall sensors as all of the commercial boards use custom esc's along with them. I think the esc is key to smooth starting and braking. I have this impression because after updating my alien esc I can (almost smoothly) start from a dead stop (not that I really want to) and braking is as good as I imagine it to be with commercial boards..

I'm currently building a dual sensored setup. It's not finished yet, but just about rideable.

I have ridden it with sensors on and sensors off, and so far, not noticed any difference. I'm holding judgement till the board is finished though. I have not ridden it much past about 20% throttle and only very short distance.

I understood that the sensors also add more low down torque so I'm hoping that's true at least...if not I'm screwed!! :lol:

Well the magic is definitely in the ESC since the sensors are just ... sensors.

Yes, I'm using 50mm motors (dual rear).

Maybe even more important than starting smoothly is doing a full stop much better. With Hall sensors, the brakes can be controlled much more efficiently as well.
I'm investigating if I just got a bad ESC, I'll keep you posted.

Anyway, I'm expecting more than this...

Back