TEE_COZY'S Brushless Longboard

TEE_COZY

100 mW
Hello All,

I thought i should introduce myself first, am quite new to this forum and to electric forms of transport. However i have been doing RC for about 6/7years among many electrical and mechanical projects, i am definitely not a pro but somewhat of a hacker. This right here is an early new year resolution for me as i am awful at documenting anything i make or do ..... this will then be my first ever build thread after many years of hacking and making slightly mad projects :twisted:

Since this is my first e-Longboard build i will stick to parts that i can buy rather than make myself.

Now onto the good stuff, my plan is to create a board that has plenty of torque to hammer up hills and cruse about but also be edging on the slightly crazy. I will start by creating a solid single motor board then maybe add another motor in the future. Now for the parts, so far i have...

- Vault Smart Bomb Deck
- Caliber 44 Trucks
- Seismic Speedline Wheels
- Mini Logo Bearings
- Alien Drive Systems Single Motor Mount

Coming in the post...

- Hobbyking Kforce 120A https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...orce_120A_HV_OPTO_V2_5_12S_Brushless_ESC.html
- Hobbyking SK3 http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbykin...SK3_6374_192kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

Some pictures ....
IMG_20141030_182112_zpshflktcdf.jpg

The Vault Deck was meant to be a scratch and dent item RRP was £105 ish and the price i paid was £42 delivered.
IMG_20141030_182403_zpsoxlrcvev.jpg

Caliber 44 Trucks for a bit more stability at speed.
IMG_20141030_182614_zpsnqj5zejk.jpg

Loving the Pully :)

Gearing:

I used a RC calculation's page to work out my top speed http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html. So my gearing is a 36T sprocket and a 12T spur with 77mm wheels, that gives me a rollout of 3.17:1 and a max speed on 12s Lifepo4 of 24.93 mph on max voltage ... or 22.86 mph on Lifepo4 nominal voltage. This will be a good starting point, i can get a bigger/smaller pinion at a later date depending on my temps and current draw.

Next steps...I will now have a go at making my own shock absorbing bushings out of 10mm thick industrial rubber sheet this should also allow enough clearance for the 63mm motor can, I will post later with some more pictures. Then i will assemble the board without any motor mounts or electronics and give it shakedown to see how the board itself handles, i normally only ride drop decks so this is my first ever topmount.

WATCH THIS SPACE ;)

Awesome ESC choice.. love it however be warned it does not have a brake, so you'll be footbraking or sliding to a halt unless you add an external band/disk brake
cool setup... it will fly on 12s... :D

I agree,
you should understand that this ESC does not have a brake.
One of the eboard's best options is the brake in my opinion.
Is you intention indeed a 'non-brake' skate?

I may make some band brakes, the ESC does say it has a programmable brake....however this is probably designed to lower lightweight heli rotors by a couple of rpm's. I shall test it none the less...
PL_HV_Para-e.jpg

Homebrew Shock absorbing risers...
IMG_20141030_193748_zpsg7iqvvb5.jpg

10mm industrial rubber sheet about £5 on ebay :lol:
IMG_20141030_193912_zps56qfmdjp.jpg

IMG_20141030_194409_zpsqigxfjdn.jpg

sharp stanley knife works a treat.
IMG_20141030_200313_zpsldav8qn4.jpg

pilot the holes
IMG_20141030_210536_zpsx256itms.jpg

Then i ran a bigger drill bit through it
IMG_20141030_210721_zpslracn3rx.jpg

1.5" saber hardware
IMG_20141030_211044_zpswager9wo.jpg

IMG_20141030_213412_zps35vbe04v.jpg

IMG_20141030_214541_zpszpjjk3yh.jpg

IMG_20141030_214635_zpshasxy1fa.jpg

Trucks and wheels fitted for a little test ride...

Jesus Christ this is a quick board, those mini logo's are very quick bearings...they are the same as the bones reds but with friction less seals and packed full of speed cream those risers also soak up so much vibrations from the road. One slight issue was the bushings way too soft for my weight, since i am 120KG i have ordered some riptide fatcone and barrels in the hardest duro they make... i think its about 97a ish ? I should still get lots of carv outta these since im a heavy lump :D

You've got an enviable setup there, motorized or not. Love the deck and shape, and the concave is really aggro. Awesome choice for wheels too. Looking forward to seeing your final version.

Still waiting for stuff in the post, hopefully i will get it tomorrow.

Need some ideas on enclosures for the batteries and electronics, i was thinking of electronic project boxes....a small one for electronics and a larger one that i can pad out for dampening the batteries. Any other ideas?

sweet board. You can build a mold in wood, and then thermoform a A4 sheet of kydex in an homemade vaccum themoformer. This will be OK, but far from a 3D printed box :)

really depends on your quality expectations.

TEE_COZY said:
Still waiting for stuff in the post, hopefully i will get it tomorrow.

Need some ideas on enclosures for the batteries and electronics, i was thinking of electronic project boxes....a small one for electronics and a larger one that i can pad out for dampening the batteries. Any other ideas?
looking nice..yes the Seismic wheels are fast wheel combined with the logo bearings..
I also sell ABS covers for the ESC and batteries in various sizes and finishes,,:) FYI..

I will post some later in the days. I have ordered a twin kit @AlienDriveSystems aswell with ABS covers. I am also waiting for the electronics from APS, and hopefully from the nunchuck + receiver at DIYElectronics if it manages to reach the sender post soon.

What I can say is that either Bruno (APS) or Richard (ADS) are great guys to communicate with. Their latemotiv is not only selling their products but also providing a top notch customer experience.

I will keep you posted!

I had taken a quick look at your boxes they do look good, im trying to come up with a way to mount the box on stand-offs then use an RC body clip to hold the cover on so i can get quick access to the batteries. Eventually i want to have the batteries hard wired and just charge them in the assembled board but for testing i may try and find a quick solution.

Beetblocks, which abs enclosure would you recommend for fitting 24 a123 system cells in? with some room for damping the packs from the road vibration.

TEE_COZY said:
I had taken a quick look at your boxes they do look good, im trying to come up with a way to mount the box on stand-offs then use an RC body clip to hold the cover on so i can get quick access to the batteries. Eventually i want to have the batteries hard wired and just charge them in the assembled board but for testing i may try and find a quick solution.

Beetblocks, which abs enclosure would you recommend for fitting 24 a123 system cells in? with some room for damping the packs from the road vibration.
what size is the pack ?

TEE_COZY said:
I had taken a quick look at your boxes they do look good, im trying to come up with a way to mount the box on stand-offs then use an RC body clip to hold the cover on so i can get quick access to the batteries.

i'm sure you could use the body clips on my covers in place of the self tapping screws i use ..on the outer flanges of the covers.
I looked at trying body clips initially but to be honest the time it takes to unscrew 4 short self tap screws is very little and it a lot more secure with the screws... and TBH if you fit a charging port or a BMS systems ..you never need to get to the batteries any way..
my single 50mm with BMS fitted
20141004_125700_zpsa4fc4541.jpg

That looks really clean, your builds are really impressive bud, is that the "7s 6300mah dual esc with bms enclosure" ? not sure which to buy. I was going to add a charging port rather than a bms, i could not seem to find a bms with a high enough discharge current... the only one i found was this http://eclipsebikes.com/lifepo4-432v-cell-60a150a-p-1062.html but i cannot justify that cost. 60A is probably too low as well when i may run 2 motors at some point. What BMS are you using?

TEE_COZY said:
That looks really clean, your builds are really impressive bud, is that the "7s 6300mah dual esc with bms enclosure" ? not sure which to buy. I was going to add a charging port rather than a bms, i could not seem to find a bms with a high enough discharge current... the only one i found was this http://eclipsebikes.com/lifepo4-432v-cell-60a150a-p-1062.html but i cannot justify that cost. 60A is probably too low as well when i may run 2 motors at some point. What BMS are you using?

That's the single ( ESC) 7S 6300mah BMS .
I used a test BMS from Bruno at Alien Power systems..he should be getting his new stock very soon..6S ,7S ,10S -100a..complete with power supplies.
this is is the BMS circuit board- but Bruno's will have plugs attached for easy fitment
IMG_2323_zps6e1e68fd.jpg

IMG_2317_zps90804311.jpg

or the other method is to fit a balance lead extension and deans plug in the side of the enclosure and charge through that..
20141103_164725_zpsclpgw1uj.jpg

TEE_COZY said:
I may make some band brakes, the ESC does say it has a programmable brake....however this is probably designed to lower lightweight heli rotors by a couple of rpm's. I shall test it none the less...
PL_HV_Para-e.jpg

Of course you'll test them... we all do. :D
You get dynamic braking... it brakes (furiously) as soon as you lay off the throttle.
Dont worry.. youll understand what we are talking about soon enough..just maybe wear a helmet when you test... :lol:

Oh dear......you mean crazy drag brake? will it not coast without any throttle ?

Got some stuff today :)
IMG_20141104_173740_zpsdalaiv7s.jpg

IMG_20141104_173756_zpsszcwtzjd.jpg

Some deans battery bars so i can assemble my packs.
IMG_20141104_173806_zpszlrpxcwj.jpg

Some 6s balance extension leads, these were really cheap on ebay .... and cheaper to buy the extensions rather that the cables themselves.

And i got a box :twisted: It is quite heavy.....will show off what is inside later.
IMG_20141104_175635_zpslrcabd4s.jpg

great ! christmas is coming !

I am going to replace my original bushings ... just wondering which one to go for ? I was about to pull the trigger on some medium ones, like Venom Medium Standart (http://www.surf3.es/bushing-venom-standart) - Any advices ?

okp said:
great ! christmas is coming !

I am going to replace my original bushings ... just wondering which one to go for ? I was about to pull the trigger on some medium ones, like Venom Medium Standart (http://www.surf3.es/bushing-venom-standart) - Any advices ?

It depends what do you weigh ? there are many guides out there and weight charts for the bushings you want

I could not wait any longer so here goes:) ....

IMG_20141104_180833_zpsootomz7x.jpg

Heat shrink - This stuff said 100mm on HK but its more like 165mm lol...i guess the 100mm is what it can shrink down too.
IMG_20141104_181052_zpspcrfmtht.jpg

10 Gauge wire.
IMG_20141104_181127_zpszy62gul3.jpg

IMG_20141104_181222_zpsvwlwoimg.jpg

IMG_20141104_181303_zpstvxayvkd.jpg

IMG_20141104_181454_zpscjymvomc.jpg

Damn this motor is big...even in my mitts.

Then everything went pear shaped :( the motor mount wont fit the 63mm motor can...
IMG_20141104_181815_zpsykrd4a7d.jpg

IMG_20141104_181840_zpsp4xxn4ee.jpg

Max distance on the plate is roughly 36mm.
IMG_20141104_181855_zpskkcida7x.jpg

And the motor holes are 44mm apart.

I guess i have to buy one of these http://www.aliendrivesystems.com/store/p49/Precision_Motor_Plate.html But will it definitely fit the sk3? Maybe Richard at alien drive systems will take the old mount back and give me a discount or a bigger plate....I can only hope.

@TEE_COZY for the most part. The Car ESC's are the ESCs that we need. The one you mentioned is most likely for an airplane or heli and they brake differently. You will need to purchase a 6S 150Amp Car ESC.

That motor is a 44mm bolt spacing? I thought they were about 31mm. That's a 6374 270kv right?

torqueboards said:
@TEE_COZY for the most part. The Car ESC's are the ESCs that we need. The one you mentioned is most likely for an airplane or heli and they brake differently. You will need to purchase a 6S 150Amp Car ESC.

That motor is a 44mm bolt spacing? I thought they were about 31mm. That's a 6374 270kv right?

The main reason i have not purchased a 150a car esc is i want to run 12s Lifepo4 for better efficiency, i actuly have a ezrun 150a pro in my truggy so i may try it out one day.

The motor is the 6374 192KV

Back