Onda Longa electric long board build

kfong

100 kW
I've been wanting to do a long board, kept looking at various designs. The one that seemed promising was the Onda long board. The original plastic structure was a turn off though. This year they came out with a woodie. The $50 off sale was a no brainer. I'm impressed with the new design and see no faults with it. I wanted larger than normal skateboard wheels, since cruising on small wheels can be dangerous on bad roads when going 15-20mph. I have the motor, but need to design the mounts.

Board arrived with wheels removed. They supply a tool to attach them, be sure not to overtighten. The wood looks great, they put a clear grip surface on the top. The board is actually bigger than I imagined, but I'm quite happy with the size. Trucks are aluminum, and they supply you with a bag of torsion shocks to set your preference. The flex on the wood board is noticeable, but not overly soft. There looks to be plenty of room behind the trucks to place the batteries, due to the hieght of the wheels. The motor will be mounted towards the front of the trucks, I think I will try just one motor first and see how I like it.

I will be designing the mounts to be belt driven, since it will be quieter than a #25 chain. Off the shelf parts will be from this source http://www.electricscooterparts.com/drivebelts.html, seems like they have a good selection to work from.

Motor is an old Turnigy sk6374, something I had laying around from previous projects. Hopefully the kv works out. Need to run the numbers. I will be installing one of my smart switches to protect the batteries and tell me how much capacity is left. Version 2 should be ready this spring. The throttle control will be wireless, I will either spin my own or use an RC setup. I really want to use an ebike motor controller with variable regen. This will require hall sensors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 6,825
Merry Xmas everyone. As you can see this is my Xmas toy :mrgreen:

This is roughly how the motor mount will be

13 Tooth D-Bore Drive Belt Cog for 5M-15 Belts (10mm Bore)
72 Tooth Drive Belt Cog for 5M-15 Belts, this has a freewheel that needs to be removed. Limited selection on pulleys.
Gear ratio is a concern, need to verify the numbers. Does anyone have a better source for pulleys. I can machine them, but it would take more work than I want to put in. From my calculations I have to go to 12s just to get 15mph. Wheels are 7" in diam. Shooting for a top speed of 20-25mph.

I just did the numbers again, with 12S it looks like this setup is good for 26mph. I should be good to go.

okp said:
great top speed, what about the miles range ?

That still needs to be determined.

chains work nicely...
have a 14 tooth #25 chain 8mm bore sprocket on the motor..
a 65 tooth on the wheel.. and can go 65 kph at 75 amps on 12s
check the destroyer build..

beto_pty said:
chains work nicely...
have a 14 tooth #25 chain 8mm bore sprocket on the motor..
a 65 tooth on the wheel.. and can go 65 kph at 75 amps on 12s
check the destroyer build..

I know they do, but they are a bit noisy and I'm not interested in going that fast. Thanks for the link though. You have a great place to ride. Interesting insight on the front wheel drive, I was planning on rear but may have to change it. Your band brakes looked interesting as well. I would prefer disk brakes.

Updated mount to match the angle of the trucks and provide some belt tensioning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 6,643
Played around with some renderings, pulleys are roughly represented and belt isn't shown.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 6,590
Can't wait to see how this works out. After seeing Sune Pedersen's Onda board on here I ordered one of the last ABS bodied boards I could find, I plan on belt driving it with home 3d printed parts. Hurry up so I can steal any good ideas you come up with first :wink:

lowrizzle said:
Hurry up so I can steal any good ideas you come up with first :wink:
I would be surprised if you did not see other onda board built to "steal idea from" if you joined in 2010...
anyway, welcome with your first message :)
bear in mind the Onda Longa is quite different compared to the Onda core or Onda Vibe,
...and don't be shy : open your own topic

KFong, nice that you got this one - that would be the second E-Onda Longa I am aware of
(one was made by Sergio Lando from Onda Motion & myself when he got in touch with me along my built)

may I ask for a close up picture of those aluminium truck ? I see you model them with a square section?

I also would be interested in some close up pictures of the aluminum onda truck. I made my own aluminum versions because I really like the way those trucks ride, but it would be cool to compare.

Hi,

great idea! I actually have both Ondas and love the both :) The trucks from the Onda Longa seem to me that they are build with e-skate in mind.
The The trucks are nicely square even with a line ther adjust atachements, the wheels have holes where a belt drive should be easily attachable.

I was actually told that alloy wheels are much noisier that the normal ones. I only got the normal ones though and am happy with these.

here is a short video of ym 1st ride:
https://vimeo.com/112952910
where you should also a get a good idea of the tracks,...

I will certainly follow this kfong :)
I ca nicely imagine how to attach the motor, but where would you place the batteries?

One great thing about the Longa is that you can actually take of the the track an put them at your own deck. So I guess I would go for buzilding an extra deck for the e-version. But I like the original deck very much.

At first I was only interested in the wheels and trucks, but the overall low cost of the setup and sale price sold me. Now that I have the board in my hands, I find the board well designed and has a nice flex to it. I will not need to redesign it. The batteries will be split, a pack behind each truck. This will leave the center section to flex and avoid any rubbing. There seems adequate space in those areas. I will either do a composite shell or vacuum formed abs to protect the packs. The motors will stick out the front of the board. I have extended the motor mount to act as a bash guard. If I get too concerned I will just make it a rear wheel drive. Current plans is a single motor. That might change once I ride it, but from what I gather it works quite well. There is room to put a disk brake controlled by a servo. It really depends on if I have enough stopping power using regen. The controller I have my eye on is currently created by Vedder, one of the forum member who has made his design open source. Very impressive work he has done.

The Onda board trucks are unusual in that they twist and create a torsional force on the elastomers. This is what allows the trucks to turn and not pivot like the traditional skateboard trucks. Very simple design, but functional. As you can see the trucks have a nice flat area to work with. If they only squared it off, it would be ideal. They nicely provided mounting holes in the wheels to attach a brake system I would presume, but we can easily take advantage of this. The extra metal you see between each polymer are hard stops for the turn radius and I would imagine preventing the elastomers from shearing. The trucks are aluminum! The red tire compound is probably one of the softer wheel compounds if you where to compare it to skate wheels. I can easily deform it with my fingernail. This gives the Onda board a very cushy ride.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 6,427
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 6,427
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 6,427
kfong said:
Very simple design, but functional. As you can see the trucks have a nice flat area to work with. If they only squared it off, it would be ideal. They nicely provided mounting holes in the wheels to attach a brake system I would presume, but we can easily take advantage of this.

Thxs, that's a very nice piece, looks more "serious" than the polymer truck -
maybe you could machine it to square it off... :idea:

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
kfong said:
Very simple design, but functional. As you can see the trucks have a nice flat area to work with. If they only squared it off, it would be ideal. They nicely provided mounting holes in the wheels to attach a brake system I would presume, but we can easily take advantage of this.

Thxs, that's a very nice piece, looks more "serious" than the polymer truck -
maybe you could machine it to square it off... :idea:

Yeah, so glad they are aluminum. Would of been disappointed if they were a polymer surrounding a metal rod.

That's the current plan, I might go through the effort of matching the angles on the motor mounts. Have to see what's the easiest approach, since I need to make a set for a friend as well.

Took the board on a longer land-paddle the other day. I didn't notice the holes in the wheels until you pointed them out. I think this will make an excellent eboard. Great choice sir! It turns really easy with the blue elastomers; may have to go with the harder ones for 1WD to work acceptably. I still want 2 small motors on mine so I don't have to worry about torque steer because my skateboarding skillz suck. Can we get a hookup on the nunchuck control system? looks pretty sweet - I was thinking of the rectangular controller when you mentioned it previously. Happy 2015 to all!

Hey Wayne, welcome to ES. I would talk to some of the ES members who are actually riding e-longboards. 95% of the boards, or more are just single wheeled. I don't hear torque steer mentioned much. I'm not really qualified to ask, since I haven't ridden an eboard myself, but I do believe it's a non issue due to your weight in steering.

I have read you can have sync issues due to using two esc as well as differences in motor winds due to poor quality control. The setup would be more complex to build. As far a hills, from what I've read the motor I picked out has no problem climbing them and isn't prone to heat issues. There are also very few dual controllers out there dedicated to eboards.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55266
Ask made_in_the_alps_legacy, he went from two to one motor.

kfong said:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55266
Ask made_in_the_alps_legacy, he went from two to one motor.

Well... reasons I went for 1WD on my first e-board was mostly weight and costs.
I know torque steer exists but never took part of the topic(s) related to it since I know only 1WD, 1 simple countermeasure against torque steer for 1WD is within the ESC parameters, like a reduced "punch" or whatever that's called
The one I work on at the moment is 2WD.

Hi kfong,

Just ordered myself an Onda Longa for conversion. Seems like a great board for the job. Very interested in knowing how the finished truck bracket will look. If you're getting it custom built, might consider going in halves for 2?

Cheers
Chris

ukalltheway said:
Hi kfong,

Just ordered myself an Onda Longa for conversion. Seems like a great board for the job. Very interested in knowing how the finished truck bracket will look. If you're getting it custom built, might consider going in halves for 2?

Cheers
Chris

Chris,

I have my own CNC machine. Info in sig. On my website.

Found a belt pulley that should workout well. All aluminum $25 from http://www.scooterparts4less.com
65 tooth electric 5M belt sprocket [2028]
Item# S04-012
You might have to call since I don't see it on there site when I tried to get the link.
All I need to do is locate the 5 holes, drill out the pulley to attach it to the wheel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 5,949
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 5,949
Man those belt pulleys are not cheap! Diameter looks good though. Do you think the holes will match up OK or are the 3 that are already there going to cause interference issues?

Back