Electronics enclosures

kentsfreeman

100 mW
I am looking for a good place to get enclosures for the ESC and batteries.

I know there are some enclosures from Alien but I live in the USA and wondering if there is a source in the states.

Just wondering what other people have used. Would like something simple and sleek.

Thanks!

PracticalProjects made an awesome DIY enclosure - Should look at that one.

I've been using a molded ABS enclosure similar to Alien but not as pretty. I also velcro straped it to the board versus bolting it onto the board.

Testing an aluminum enclosure now - wish it was easier to open though.

I've been playing with an offset sheet of aluminum to preserve the flex of the board (see the picture) and act as a skid plate. The electronics are to be velcro-ed to the aluminum between the board and the aluminum plate.

I've yet to test it, but it feels promising when stood on.

Attachments

• 2015-03-22 18.00.12.jpg
    2015-03-22 18.00.12.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 3,125
I know a lot of you guys use velcro to fasten your electronics to your board....

In my experience, even some "Heavy duty" or "Industrial" velcro is on the weaker side of strong.

A couple years ago I was looking for ways to make my own gopro mounts/fixtures and found this stuff..

PowerGrip Pedal Tape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-2ezJHQXpw

It takes some muscle to get something off once its attached, but your gopro will NEVER come off your motorcycle helmet unless you want it to.

I plan to your it to affix my shielding/electronics to the underside of the board.

It's truly amazing how much a 1" x 1" square of this stuff can hold.

Try the blue hobbyking adhesive velcro. Sticks great to be honest. Don't think I need anything else that would stick anymore. It even pulls off my laminate design on the board which is bad lol.

I'll buy meters of the blue hobbyking adhesive. It works wonders!

torqueboards said:
..It even pulls off my laminate design on the board which is bad lol..!

LMAO! Ok, maybe the powergrip pedal tape would be over kill...

At the same time, its so strong you could probably attach your trucks to the board with it...(which im crazy enough to try!)

As far as the enclosure itself, couldn't you re-purpose the bottom of a plastic toy boat? Or similarly shaped item?

I think something like that coupled with some thin packaging foam would be simple and effective.

If waterproofing is important to you, then adding a gasket around the outer lip of a a removable enclosure is a good idea. Likewise, with a more permanent fixture...I'd recommend going as far as a bead of caulk or similar protection.

In the same interest, any holes coming out of your enclosure (for wires or switches) should also have a rubber grommit or gasket to make sure moisture doesn't enter.

If you notice the OCCASIONAL residual moisture after a ride, maybe a lazy fix is to put a couple of those "Packaging freshness packets" (for lack of a better word) in your electronics box. Just tape one or two to the lid so they suck up any moisture while the board is ridden

Thanks for the all the suggestions!

I am really looking for something more cohesive looking. Along the lines of Boosted or the Yuneec Ego.

If there was a company or business that could make a custom case based on my dimensions that would be great as well.

kentsfreeman said:
Thanks for the all the suggestions!

I am really looking for something more cohesive looking. Along the lines of Boosted or the Yuneec Ego.

If there was a company or business that could make a custom case based on my dimensions that would be great as well.

I wish there was something similar. The closest we can get without costing a lot would be an extruded aluminum enclosure.

Something like Boosted or Yuneec Ego would be an injection molded mold and would have to pay quite a bit and would only be worth it if you are making 500-1000 pcs at least. At least 200 pcs.

Some other options would be 3d printed, ABS vacuum formed and/or SLS printing.

Ya not to hip on the injection molded so looking for someplace that can do a customized one off or small batch run.

I would be up for 3d printing but the 3d printed stuff I have seen doesn't look very good.

Anyone know of a place that does ABS or SLS customization?

I know this is the direction that you want to steer away from ...

I may end up go with something like this just to get prototyping. They boast shock absorbing walls, and padded interior.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...n-Uvmb92JE9unaRoCI7zw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Or this:
http://www.bgmicro.com/ACS1541.aspx

Or an even cheaper alternative:
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/leftoversPlastic?productId=10036777

Edit: These cases are intended to hold 2x 5s5Ah Lipo's, a receiver and potentially an ESC. I think a LCD voltmeter would also fit, like this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=68568

Also look into Sugru for moldable plastic and perhaps Instamorph.

Ka1sLQ1.png
ENpiebc.png

I'm sure there's a ton of other different composites you could make enclosures with.

Sugru looks like an amazing tool, they definitely know how to market it. It does look like a great fix-it-all but it has a "sell by" and "use by" date sooooooo

Also after a little research, it looks like its only caulk mixed with corn starch 50/50 + coloring (corn starch helps it set, and not be as sticky to the touch)

InstaMorph would be a great way to customize your enclosure!! My biggest fear would be the heat sensitivity. But if your mold deforms/breaks you can always patch/recast it.

I wonder if it bonds well to most surfaces like wood/glass/metal/plastic

Or would it be something you'd have to otherwise attach onto components?

Now that i have my board built.
I'm in the process of designing my enclosure. I'm actually designing it around the board itself. rather than use a cover plate or universal pre made metal/plastic box. Im going to build the box out of either High Impact Styrene Sheet or a uv treated ABS Sheet, vacuum formed to a pre made mold. it will be very light and strong. With the appropriate openings for wires, air flow, Voltage LCD, power switch, and anything else i think of. just have to get the mold right. i can even make air channels so the ESC heatsink isn't exposed. its still behind plastic but the air is routing through a passage to it.

torqueboards said:
Also look into Sugru for moldable plastic and perhaps Instamorph.

Ka1sLQ1.png
ENpiebc.png

I'm sure there's a ton of other different composites you could make enclosures with.

a remote controller hack from a GT2B in sugru !!!!

come on guys, who is gonna do it first ! my pack of sugru are to be delivered today :twisted:

This morning I decided to go to Walmart, Target, Home Depot and Lowes for some enclosure ideas.

Aside from the afore-mentioned Tupperware style alternatives I came up with some other ridiculous ideas!

The most visually appealing idea came from the doorbell isle at Home Depot. Doorbell covers range from pretty to plain and might be an option.
There will need to be modifications made to fix it to the underside of a board/weatherproof it.

A couple isles down was the lighting department, there were some interesting low profile ceiling fixtures that could also be implemented. The plus here being there is already a hole in the fixture for wires.

The Lowes by me also had some "Project Boxes". They are mostly the same plain thing, but some have a flanged lip, ideal for securing to the board.

Walmart and Target had some interesting containers, none of which really had everything that I was looking for in an enclosure. But I did see a locking pencil box that could work: http://www.walmart.com/ip/36124229?...69836792&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81462309152&veh=sem

I'm a big fan of tackle boxes. You can find them in tons of shapes and sizes, and most are waterproof with excellent clamps. Price is right too.

Good call. Can you link something that you've used in the past?

I found some good cases by Plano

You could also look into metal food or surgery plates. A butter plate might hold ESC and rx, but they will be open on the top, which could be covered by the deck. Check your local metal recyclers. For a MTB, i used a lockbox with great success, but might be too heavy for a longboard (but can be waterproofed and locked).

For modeling, I think sugru stays flexible? Look at fimo, can be molded by Hand, is cheap and nontoxic, comes in many colors and stays flexible unless baked in the oven at 100°C.

Also: there should already be a thread about enclusures around here somewhere.

For tackle boxes, I have a Plano. 11 bucks. Had to do some modifications, but nothing that required more than a Dremel and patience.

Height was the biggest concern. I just took a battery with me to The hardware store and eyeballed it.

Back