Help required!! First build - Trampa E mountain board

Greenvlx

1 mW
I've just ordered a Trampa Holypro 35 degree Mountain board with Ultimate trucks, superstar hubs with road tyres. My plans so far are along the lines of E-Toxx mounts with chain drive, twin 6374 168KV or 192KV SK3 (or APS 6390 at 170KV) modified GT2B controller from DIY
The ESC and battery is where I get a bit stuck.
I already have 30 x 18650 cells (INR18650-30Q) which I can use but I am unsure if they will provide the discharge I require. I was hoping to run 10S or 12S 4P and would buy the extra cells that I require but as far as I can see they have a constant discharge of 15A and so would only give me 60A in 4P if I have worked it correctly? What discharge would I require to run these motors at full potential?
Also I didn't really want to use a VESC as I have read a lot of stories regarding mountain boards and fried VESC so the next best thing I could find would be an Alien Power Systems ESC such as the evolution series with either 2 singles or a double ESC? Does anyone have any experience with these and do they last? How will this go with braking also?
Was thinking gearing would be around 12 or 13 motor to 60 wheel in order to get a top speed of around 40Km/hour
The other option is to do lower voltage and more cells in parrallel in order to increase the discharge to use these cells but from what I can see higher voltage is better?
Would highly appreciate any advice on which way to go.
Thanks

Another option is 8s with turnigy trackstar 200A or hobbywing ez-run 6 160A what are peoples experience with these?
Thanks
Shane

Nice.. More trampa builds.. Mine is sitting waiting :( You can checkout out our 12S TorqueBoards 120A ESC which is pretty durable and can handle more amps than the VESC. Less features, configurations and frills but it's reliable and works great. It's what I'll probably use on my Trampa build whenever it get's built.

Many people in the past have had issues with APS's ESCS.

Greenvlx said:
I've just ordered a Trampa Holypro 35 degree Mountain board with Ultimate trucks, superstar hubs with road tyres. My plans so far are along the lines of E-Toxx mounts with chain drive, twin 6374 168KV or 192KV SK3 (or APS 6390 at 170KV) modified GT2B controller from DIY
The ESC and battery is where I get a bit stuck.
I already have 30 x 18650 cells (INR18650-30Q) which I can use but I am unsure if they will provide the discharge I require. I was hoping to run 10S or 12S 4P and would buy the extra cells that I require but as far as I can see they have a constant discharge of 15A and so would only give me 60A in 4P if I have worked it correctly? What discharge would I require to run these motors at full potential?
Also I didn't really want to use a VESC as I have read a lot of stories regarding mountain boards and fried VESC so the next best thing I could find would be an Alien Power Systems ESC such as the evolution series with either 2 singles or a double ESC? Does anyone have any experience with these and do they last? How will this go with braking also?
Was thinking gearing would be around 12 or 13 motor to 60 wheel in order to get a top speed of around 40Km/hour
The other option is to do lower voltage and more cells in parrallel in order to increase the discharge to use these cells but from what I can see higher voltage is better?
Would highly appreciate any advice on which way to go.
Thanks
I built a dual drive mountain board three years ago & its been ridden very hard & still works perfectly....The reason it's lasted so long is that I used quality components. Save yourself the trouble and $ get two Mamba XL's. They're easy to program and wont burn up like the rest of the Chinese garbage. A Vesc is better in certain applications but for off road, sand & dirt you need the MAMBA. It's made to take a beating, 8s max which is still very fast .

Not sure when vescs got a bad rap for mountain boards. I've driven single drive trampa mountain board without any issues. Granted i doubled down on aluminum heatsinks

I vote for the Hobbywing MAX6 ESC.
Waterproof, no heat issues and really smooth and powerfull.

I use them in 2 EMTB Builds (-;

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im just tossing up between an 8s setup with the escs mentioned or 10s torqueboards esc. I have a little thinking and number crunching to do!
Just another question, if i were to use power tool batterys in 5s2p with there own bms could i just series 2 batterys and then parrallel them for more p and still use the stock bms and then charge them seperately or would i have to install a new bms for the whole thing?
Thanks
Shane

Greenvlx said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im just tossing up between an 8s setup with the escs mentioned or 10s torqueboards esc. I have a little thinking and number crunching to do!
Just another question, if i were to use power tool batterys in 5s2p with there own bms could i just series 2 batterys and then parrallel them for more p and still use the stock bms and then charge them seperately or would i have to install a new bms for the whole thing?
Thanks
Shane
I have no experience with power tool batteries but I assume they are just 18650 cells molded into a pack. Using a separate bms for the whole thing would be the best/safest option IMO, because they'll be pushed beyond they're intended purpose. How would you eliminate the bms in the battery packs without having a problem recharging them?

Back