VESC Fault DRV8302

Hey guys!

Recently I got a fantastic VESC from DIY/Torqueboards and got it working wonderfully on 4S.

Last night I decided to bump it up to 8S with another 4S lipo, the first time plugging it in, using 4S settings, it worked fabulously, albeit I was being dumb and did not hook it up to the tool to check for any errors, although there were no red lights.

I decided to unplug the batteries to charge them for a bit. After coming back and plugging the two lipos in, I also connected the VESC to the computer. Upon pulling the throttle I get hit with a quick spin and fault code DRV8302.
Releasing the throttle brings the fault code back to none, after that the motor did not move at all, and all farther inputs causes the DRV8302 fault code. Using the left/right arrow keys give me a ABS_Over_Current, while up/down gives me a DRV8302.

Considering this just worked flawlessly 15 minutes ago, I'm completely stumped on what occurred. There was no smoke, flash, pop, or burning either.
I have not tried to change anything in fear of farther damage.

My settings:
http://imgur.com/a/I9icW

Thank you for your help!

Hey, sorry to tell you but you've probably burned the DRV. Test it out a bit but if you get the fault constantly its usually a burned DRV and they are a pain to replace.

This mainly happens when running FOC at high switching frequency but it can happen in other situations.

i've not used FOC yet, but have successfully killed a couple DRV chips.

This happens either from some issue (my repeatable method to kill is bench testing hard start/stops too fast/frequently - don't recommend this), or simple failure. They are complex chips - and MTBF applies (a bell curve of failure). Sometimes you are just unlucky and one fails for no real reason.

I don't know if they are a "pain" to replace. The replacement chip from Mouser is about $6. I recommend getting a few spares. If you know how to reflow and have a decent hot-air setup, it's probably 5-10min effort. I've had help swapping my last 2, and have one dead VESC now with DRV chips on the way. So i'm looking to get comfortable replacing the DRV chip myself. Great peace of mind to be capable of doing it myself. I have 4 or 5 VESC's now (4.7-4.11 versions), and should have 5 or 6 spare DRV chips for the future. All it takes is practice... (but hopefully they will sit in a drawer and not be needed!)

Thank you for the help guys!

I'm probably just going to order the chip as you said (I believe DRV8302DCA?) and find somebody to do it for me.

I'm a terrible at soldering and do not have an adequate setup to solder SMD chips.

Would you guys also happen to know anyone I could ship it to in order to get it replaced, as it seems like that is the best option.

undercoverpenguin said:
Thank you for the help guys!

I'm probably just going to order the chip as you said (I believe DRV8302DCA?) and find somebody to do it for me.

I'm a terrible at soldering and do not have an adequate setup to solder SMD chips.

Would you guys also happen to know anyone I could ship it to in order to get it replaced, as it seems like that is the best option.

Ben can do it (Vedder), but he's also probably one of the more difficult people to get time to help (even w/ some $).
Chaka will repair any he sold - might be worth PM'ing him if not (just in case he might be willing)
Enertion's http://vesc.net.au/support/ - $60 to repair a VESC
esk8.de has a link to here:
http://www.lp-electronic.com/vesc/
We are your competent and fast service when it comes to questions and problems about the VESC speed controller.

For example we’re offering the following services:

diagnosis and cost estimation after the mail-in of a VESC
STM32 controller replacement
replacement of faulty or poor soldered DRV8302 MOSFET drivers
MOSFET replacement
manifacturing of cable harnesses
implementation of VESC software enhancements (e.g. controlling the VESC through a different input or controller)

We are happy to help you with these or other problems around the VESC. If you are interested please write an Email or call us.

Phone (usually Mo-Fr, 10AM – 5PM CEST): 0049 231-58694581

Email: service@lp-electronic.com

Hope it helps and GL!

sl33py said:

Thank you so much sl33py for your time and help, I really appreciate it!

One of my friends is well versed in SMD soldering, so I'm going to ask for his help in replacing the chip.

I just ordered 3 DRV8302DCA from Mouser, hopefully I can figure out what went wrong before I blow up another chip!

Hi Sl33py, is the voltage spike what killed d your VESC? Overcurrent should fry the FETS and also cause nice blow.

So for the switching being too fast with big changes like big acceleration and big braking this comes down to voltage spikes killing the DRV right?

Hi there

There is a post in Vedders forum about someone offering repairs, maybe this will be helpful:
http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=186

Hope you get it sorted.

--EDIT--
Dooh, sorry - same link as previously posted, I should have looked closer. :oops:

Vanarian said:
Hi Sl33py, is the voltage spike what killed d your VESC? Overcurrent should fry the FETS and also cause nice blow.

So for the switching being too fast with big changes like big acceleration and big braking this comes down to voltage spikes killing the DRV right?

I would guess so. My lesson learned was not to do it twice... Repeatable - check! Stupid to do again - C H E C K ! ! !

Hey guys!

Just got back my newly soldered VESC and it very well with 4S! I tired 8S but I got a quick spin and "ABS_Over_Current", leading me to stop messing with 8S until I can figure out a solid configuration.

I didn't want to clutter up the forums with a new thread so I'll just ask it here.

What can I do to limit the chances of frying my components when I am configuring?

Based of sl33py's comment, I take it that if we can't do it consecutively, we should stop testing and revert to last known working configuration?

Thank you so much for the help!

Update: Took single 4S lipo to charge, went back to plug it into the VESC, now getting short bursts and ABS_Over_Current :(

@undercoverpenguin - What's your current setup? I've been using these VESCs on 10S on hub motors and they work flawlessly. Change settings from BLDC/FOC no issues. I ran them with inefficient motor parameters and they didn't get destroyed either which was surprising.

torqueboards said:
@undercoverpenguin - What's your current setup? I've been using these VESCs on 10S on hub motors and they work flawlessly. Change settings from BLDC/FOC no issues. I ran them with inefficient motor parameters and they didn't get destroyed either which was surprising.

Hey Torque, I'm running a Turnigy 5000mah 25C 4S with a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-192kv, along with your mechanicals (14/36T).

Settings:http://imgur.com/a/I9icW

I'm also quite stumped as well on why the VESC is giving me so much trouble haha.

Hey undercoverpenguin, where did you send the VESC to repair? and how much it cost to repair?

I'm having the same DRV8302 problem - VESC boots up, connects, read configuration, but as soon as I try to run motor detection it stops responding and the red blinking light keeps lit from bootup and even after stops responding on BLDC tool.

My other VESC is working fine, so it's probably just a failure on some chip not a config problem.

Ryuudan said:
Hey undercoverpenguin, where did you send the VESC to repair? and how much it cost to repair?

I'm having the same DRV8302 problem - VESC boots up, connects, read configuration, but as soon as I try to run motor detection it stops responding and the red blinking light keeps lit from bootup and even after stops responding on BLDC tool.

My other VESC is working fine, so it's probably just a failure on some chip not a config problem.

Hey Ryuudan,

That was the exact same situation I was in.

I ordered a few DRV8302 chips on Mouser ($6 each) and had a family friend replace them for me, so I do not know a place where you could send your VESC in.

But, it seems the other fourms member do! I suggest checking out their links and contacting those people. Where did you get your VESC from? Your supplier might be able to do a free warrenty fix on it.

I hope I was able to help you out by sharing how I fixed my board, please let me know if you need anymore information!

thx a lot.
I bought mine from Ollin, but he charged me 45 dollars just for the shipping. if I have to send it back to him to get fixed it's going to get almost as expensive as a new one.
living in Japan has its downsides.

Ryuudan said:
thx a lot.
I bought mine from Ollin, but he charged me 45 dollars just for the shipping. if I have to send it back to him to get fixed it's going to get almost as expensive as a new one.
living in Japan has its downsides.

I might put out a shout on local craigslist for SMD repair services needed. I know there's gotta be a local tech who could use a few bucks to swap the chips. It's a 15-30min swap if you have the tools and skill. I keep procrastinating trying to repair the one i have now, by myself, that's broken...

Back