E-MTB with dual 5065 motor???

Pedrohlt

10 mW
I'm thinking about making a E-MTB with:

-2x 5065 270kV sensored motors (https://goo.gl/G0ZmFk)

-2x FVT 80A 6S sensored ESC (https://goo.gl/PSk2oW)

-3x 6S 5000mAh LiPO for 22.2v 15Ah

-Gearing for 25mph

My idea is to run at about 1200W max on each motor, to avoid overheating. With the 80A esc, the max cont power would be about 1800W. Can I limit the max power by programming the esc?

This setup will be very cheap (USD 182 for motors and esc) and light (435g each motor), but my concern is about overheating.

What do you guys think? Can those 5065 motors handle 1200W continuous?

As this is a MTB, with huge wheels and off-road capability, the power draw on hard acceleration will be huge.
If I were you I would most definitely go with a very minimum of the 120A FVT, better still the 150A version.
As far as I know there is no program to limit the max power of the FVT controller to a certain level.
I appreciate you are trying to keep it a light as possible but, depending of course on how you intend to use it, you are asking a lot from 50mm motors.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, a MTB would draw much more power than a regular longboard. But my idea it to limit the motor current at 60A, so it would run at about 1300W on each motor. My concern is how to limit the current on those FVT ESCs and if a 5065 can handle 1300W of continuous.

Hey - is there any follow up on this one? I also plan to use (ponder the idea) about using 5065 motors.. ? So how bad are they?

I plan to use the 200kv version but there is also 149kv available.. the wheel size is only 6inches, so I hope not to over burden them.. it should be a light commuter board not an offroad beast :)

Thanks for the answer.. Im asking because there is a really good price for 5065.. The 63'' ones I can get in Eu, cost about 30usd more each. Sorry for being on a budget :D

My two sensored 5065 motors arrived last week. Didn't test it yet, but it looks really nice. I notice that it's much harder to turn it by hand than my other 5065 motor (from hobbyking). You can really feel the magnets when turning it, I don't know if it has stronger magnets or smaller airgap, but the difference is huge. I think this means more torque, so it's good. Next week I'll post some pictures of the motors.

Cool. In which thread / topic will you post the ''results''?

By the way - did you get them from Banggood? They are super cheap there now.. and there's 149kv and 200kv versions available for the 5065 size.. they come sensored and even has some sort of gear in the kit already.

Back