VESC suitable for a heavy person

TEE_COZY

100 mW
Hello all.

I built this at the end of 2014 https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=64407 I used it for about a year but disassembled it due to other commitments and not really finding the time for it.

Back then i used a 120A 12s hele esc that had no break function.

I want to use a v4.12 VESC but i am worried about the current spec being to low. Board specs would be...
- 36/12 gearing
- 77mm wheels
- 192kg 6373 sk3 motor
- 12s lifepo4 packs at 38.4v nominal

I currently weigh about 131kg or 290lbs, yes im heavy AF (Weight training !) :lol:

Am i likely to burn out a VESC ? anyone have any experience with similar setups ?

thanks !

I don't think you would damage the VESC as long as you set up the current and temperature limits.

I use a VESC 4.12 on my vector ebike. I use a 12s lipo battery and I limit battery current to 60A, phase current to 110A. Since my VESC is installed inside my frame, I have a small PC fan pointed at it to help with cooling. I have been using this setup for 9 months now and about 2000km and it is still working totally fine.

I don't know if the VESC 4.12 will give you enough power before going into thermal limiting, but it at least won't break itself.

Addy said:
I don't think you would damage the VESC as long as you set up the current and temperature limits.

I use a VESC 4.12 on my vector ebike. I use a 12s lipo battery and I limit battery current to 60A, phase current to 110A. Since my VESC is installed inside my frame, I have a small PC fan pointed at it to help with cooling. I have been using this setup for 9 months now and about 2000km and it is still working totally fine.

I don't know if the VESC 4.12 will give you enough power before going into thermal limiting, but it at least won't break itself.

Thanks Addy,

I have been doing a bit more research and came to the same conclusion. I have picked up a spare Hammond aluminium enclosure that was going at work, it should be big enough for the VESC and some small 25mm fans to push some airflow through the inside. I will probably mill the inside of the box flat and then sinc the fets to the milled surface. I should get some descent thermal dissipation with that setup.

Why not go with a focbox or FLIPSKY FSESC 6.6?
The 6.6 should hold up much better, especially with FOC @ 12S and the kind of currents you are intending to run it at.

If I were you I would definetely go for a VESC 6. Pushing your weight up a small hill will bring the VESC4 to it's heat limits quite fast.
I don't know how you ride but on my board with single 63 motor the VESC is the weakest part of the power chain. Take the bigger one and you got a good temperature and power reserve :flame:

Back