Another push-to-electric conversion feeler

kestrel

1 µW
All - I am looking for just some insight. I have browsed and searched most of the forum regarding the conversions. I read the Razor A5 conversion threads and realized I wanted something similar. Since I dont have any 3D printing/CAD experience I figure it might be easier to get a scooter like the A5, or the Hikole Adult Scooter since both have the 200-205mm (8in) wheelset.

I was already looking at just a hub motor, and while I have rebuilt vintage motorcycles in the past (1977 RD400) and such Im sure the project isnt over my head. Admittedly however I am not the best at UNDERSTANDING much about electronics. Wiring following a diagram is pretty straight forward, creating my own wiring harness etc. I just need to research and understand.

Both of these scooters appear to have very narrow axles front and rear. Is there a preference on which should be motorized? I figure the rear would be easier to fabricate a bit using metal parts either bolt or weld (I know they are aluminum frames for the most part).

Lastly - What I am looking for is decent range, and roughly 15-20MPH top speed, ~18 would be perfect. I only weigh 160lbs and live in south Florida where it is completely flat. I figure something in the 36-48v, 350-500W range would do the trick... Batteries, all I have read is that LiPo are great for this and can help a bit with range, and that SLA should be avoided. Having never used LiPo in the past I know some concerns are there regarding the multiple parrallel wiring/charging etc. Any suggestions for something like this? Im not sure if 20 miles is too much range, or if 30 is... I just know I would use it every weekend for both recreational and functional. Any input is helpful - starting perhaps from the two choices of scooters.

PS. I know the Xioami can be had for a little over $300 on Alibaba but I wanted to enjoy the build process as I always have a project I am working on. And currently finished up with the RD400 and a TW200. Having been driving them all around Fort Lauderdale I really wanted to build one up!

Back