Can I use my 36v motor with a 48v battery and controller?

Ehtlam

1 µW
Hi all.
Im new at this (as my question might show)

I have a e-scooter with a 36v system and I want to connect a 48v battery and controller to the 36v motor (the motor is new,and i cant find a motor the same size, so that is a problem)
So is there any way I can make the 36v motor work with the 48v controller and battery?
Maby a converter/inverter??

Thanks.

Ehtlam said:
Hi all.
Im new at this (as my question might show)

I have a e-scooter with a 36v system and I want to connect a 48v battery and controller to the 36v motor (the motor is new,and i cant find a motor the same size, so that is a problem)
So is there any way I can make the 36v motor work with the 48v controller and battery?

Thanks.

Yes, should be no problem.
What motor is it?

Also if you have a DC/DC converter for the 12V system (the lights, the dashboard, etc), you should make sure it can take 48V too. There should be a sticker on it, mentioning the voltage range.

Motors are rated for watts, not voltage.

With that said, connecting a 13S battery with a controller that requests significantly higher amperage will result in sending significantly higher current to that poor motor which may not be able to handle it. Small increases in net wattage should be fine, but I would guess that 48V battery/controller will be pushing double the wattage to your original motor, hence giving it a short service life.

Many thanks :)
So, if the battery and controller are 500w 48v.
It will run the motor witch have run on 500w 36v?
Sorry for the bad questions, but im not that good at electrics.. still learning :wink:

Back