40kW paramotor project

Hyperious

1 mW
Hey all, long time no see.

I'm in the process of building an electric paramotor.

I started flying about 2 years ago on a 2-stroke and now have well over 200hrs of airtime. That said I've always wanted to go electric, and finally with my new job making time for and giving me the equipment to, I've started the conversion process for my old frame from gas to electric.

Right now I'm targeting 40kW max power, with 27kw continuous output. I want to make this thing into a slalom/sunset ripper. The biggest limiting factor of course is batteries, and I plan on using a 24s2p pack of 16000mah 6S packs that are rated for 25C. Total 32Ah of storage at 100v full charge.

My question is what ESC's out there would be the best for this application? I can easily source a Curtis F6 controller that will do what I need since I work for Curtis now, but the weight is high, and software is still in development for driving sensorless applications. Honnestly I'd like to just use a bigass ESC for control since it's just spinning a prop and doesn't need ultra-precise RPM control.

I'm already using a 154mm stator 20 pole outrunner wound to 40kv for power, which should give me about 20% more RPM than my 2-stroke with a ton more torque, but ESC/controller-wise I'm kind of stuck. I've seen some stuff from Flier RC that may work, but I've also seen that they top-out at 25kw based on testing done by members here.

Any advice? should I just stick with a 96v 450A curtis F6?

how about the BAC8000?

Hi, did you finish your paramotor? What motor, esc, battery did you use? I've just made my electric paramotor with the Mad M50 motor, Mad 300A esc and a li ion 32A 88v nominal 2.8kwh battery and I love it. Some details in the video of my first flight

A fantastic job. Congratulations!
Can you post how much thrust does your build produce?
Thanks.
Thank you!
The Mad M50 motor is considered to produce about 70kg thrust with the 140cm prop at 20kw, info found on the OpenPpg community forum.
With my battery I can go to about 15kw, above that the voltage drop is to high. So I have maybe 50 kg thrust. All I know is that recently I had a flight and at 10kw I had 2.7 - 3 m/s climb, more than I need. I usualy climb slowly with 0.7 - 1m/s at 5-6kw.

Back