Thoughts on Paramotor parts list

Wattster

10 W
Looking to put a e-paramotor together and looking at parts and curious on others input.
The At12070 should give comparable thrust to my 80cc gas machine when powered with a 16s 95a surron battery according to their chart.

Kinda stuck on how big of a ESC I will need. One part of the listing says 250a max and another it saying 380-500a. Are they referring to phase amps?

Like the idea of going with a open ESC like the Vedder stuff but have no experience with it.

https://www.antinnotech.com/products/ant-innovation-at-12070-lightweight-brushless-dc-outrunner-motor-15kw-with-40kg-thrust-for-electric-paramotor?variant=39318033563805

https://www.freerchobby.cc/products/16s-75v-300a-vesc-waterproof-watercooled-electric-motorcycle-efoil-bldc-motor-controller

Have you seen the openppg sp140?

https://openppg.com/shop/paramotors/openppg-sp140/

They're using a little bigger motor than the 12070, something around the M40 from MAD which is ~15065.

On the esc, 250A is wishful thinking for that motor, and 380-500A is trying to take into account the wishful thinking of the esc supplier. A lot of the suppliers for the cheaper equipment inflate the ratings of their products, so comparing specs is difficult. Looking at what other people are using and what "reputable" e-paramotor vendors are selling should be helpful.

Yeah the bummer with open ppg I'd it started as a open source project but now it's a product and they will only sell you replacements if you already own their stuff.
Yes finding accurate information is hard. Thanks for the input.

For my eppg, these are the parts I choose :

ESC : VESC 75/300
Motor : T-Motor U15L
Propeller : e-props 130cm
Battery : 16s DIY li-ion

The VESC is a very good one with lots of customizable parameters, and 300A of continuous amps with good cooling. Not so expensive

But... that's still an experimental ESC, and it was known for being problematic with high pole count motor like the MAD M50 for example, leading to the destruction of the ESC !

However, this problem seems now to be somewhat corrected with the newest firmware (6.00) and some tweaking

If you want a ESC that is simple to use and powerful, I would choose an APD HV ESC.

The T-Motor U15L is somewhat similar to a MAD Component M40. It is produced in China by a reputable RC and UAV company. Available in 43kv but mine was customized with a kv of 70, to suit my 60V li-ion battery. However, I have understood that a kv around 55 is ideal for a 16s battery like you

There are also the bigger U15XL and U15XXL.
Well constructed and the communication with T-Motor was good but if I had to redo it, I would choose a high end European motor, like the Rotex REX30 : better design, higher copper mass

The AT12070 is too light (2.2kg), the reported rated power is overestimate ! Don't choose this motor it is too weak

I would recommend a motor with a good copper mass to keep the temperature as low as possible
The Rotex REX30 weight is 5.2kg

As for the propeller, that was simple : e-props !
Designed in my country, not so expensive, efficient
I would recommend to keep the max RPM below 2200, to avoid excessive noise and inefficiency
So, buy a propeller accordingly (ask for having your desired max thrust at 2200RPM)

Last edited:
A
Yeah the bummer with open ppg I'd it started as a open source project but now it's a product and they will only sell you replacements if you already own their stuff.
Yes finding accurate information is hard. Thanks for the input.
Hi, I've bought from them only the eppg frame, cnc arms and quick prop release bolt. As far as I know you can buy whatever you want from them.
I've then bought the rest of the parts from the producers in Europe, builded my battery and throttle and I'm on my fifth flight and it's great!
Did you finished your paramotor, do you have a video?
Below is my first flight and some specs:

Back