10 insane -- but very real -- flying machines

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
Some of these have been posted before, however this is the first time I've seen a compilation, and it is hard to pass up this serendipitous compare and contrast.

MSNBC today - 10 insane -- but very real -- flying machines

My votes…
  • Giant paper airplane: Fail. Come on… it was an 800-lb paper airplane. The key here is in the missing video (just lift and release) AND a review of the facts: 6 second flight that achieves a top speed of 98 mph. Granted they launched from outside Tucson… if released from a height of 4,000 ft, subtract 2,389 ft as the base elevation of the City = 1,611 foot instant nosedive! :p
  • Back to the Future flying DeLorean: Oh please, where is the FF button! Ah, found the Stop instead. <yawn>.
  • Hoverbike: We want it! Why is the Government stalling?
  • Tacocopter: Interesting, but what about the noise? Will my taco still be hot?
  • Remote-controlled flying shark: Great fun for chasing seagulls. Good design execution. Why can’t airline manufacturers make something like that? Flying that is both fun and predatory! :twisted:
  • e-volo multicopter: Again a good idea that is advancing on a concept.
  • Breakthrough Quadrocopter: Very clever and useful.
  • Flyboard jetpack: Phooey; worn-out watching it after the first minute. The problem here is obvious: Cut the Gordian knot!
  • RC superheroes: Win! By far the most entertaining 8)
  • Terrafugia Flying Car: Clunky. Might be useful for those distant archipelagos and millionaire islands. If I won the Lotto, the money would be spent elsewhere.

How would you vote?
~KF

How many times have I seen this type of machines? More than I care to remember.

The only thing I can be certain about is that the company is trying to raise more cash.

Druine D.31 Turbulent, single seat, open cockpit, VW engine, fixed landing gear, tail-dragger
http://www.angelfire.com/space/eaa524/sale01.htm

Volksplane...same as the above, but...made from WOOD.
http://www.evansair.com/
VP-IIOpenerWEB.jpg

Back