making a generator

goatman

10 MW
trying to make up my mind on how to progress with my conversion
twin screw?
twin outboard?
one breaks down you still have another propulsion system but you need twice the battery$$$$$

the da85-6 kit from east gem
i could just couple that to a small 2hp gas motor and use the regen to charge the batteries that way i have a spare motor and controller and generator on board and the ability to charge in a tiny package like a honda 2200

anybody do something like this?

Since no one responded, I would say go with the gas motor, reliable gas :thumb:

goatman said:
trying to make up my mind on how to progress with my conversion
twin screw?
twin outboard?
one breaks down you still have another propulsion system but you need twice the battery$$$$$

the da85-6 kit from east gem
i could just couple that to a small 2hp gas motor and use the regen to charge the batteries that way i have a spare motor and controller and generator on board and the ability to charge in a tiny package like a honda 2200

anybody do something like this?

Interesting problems. I know you don't have a sail to help out on your trips. Always like backups and that depends on the space you have. Don't most have a small back up motor or have someone you can call (if phone reception) to help out. dual use backup motor generator would be great.

Just the generator, Honda's are the best in my book for consumers. Think the little Hondas like the 2200 are compact but would go a size larger. They put out more watts for almost the same price. Onan's is what I used while working (oil field), they are heavy, burn diesel, would last for years.

Wish you good luck on your build, wish I had better advise or any advise.

i dont know formulas or efficiency
but a 2hp honda would be 1.5kw

if you set regen at 20amps with 60v nom youll average 1200 watts

to buy a 2000watt gen up here its atleast $1000
id need 2 chargers to get that at atleast $600

another motor/controller $800
used 3.5hp honda motor from a gen or waterpump i can get for $200 or less and might give me 2.5kw for charging but if you run half throttle, be back to 1250 watts and it would be quieter and less vibration
its all variable, crank it up or turn it down
there was $100 bucker on cl last night but i missed it

I'm not a sailor (Sounds like a good hobby) so don't know how much power is needed to fight the wind, currents to move the boat at a min speed. I would get a motor that would do that and have enough power left to charge the batteries at an acceptable rate.

We are addicted to fossil fuels and it cost money to get away form it. I'm wanting back up power and it's the same dilemma.

I've looked into a series-hybrid approach for my electric boat build.

Here's what looks like a decent DC Generator that can be fueled by propane (LPG):

https://dcautogen.com/product/v5-autogen-48v-dc-generator-charger/

Propane creates much less pollution than gasoline or diesel, and can be stored more easily and for longer. No leaking, evaporation, going stale.

Then you could still have twin inboard electric motors. You don't need twice the batteries: you're still sending the same amount of power/energy to the props, just splitting it between them instead of all to one prop.

So size your motor(s) to the power needs of the boat, then size the batteries to the motors, times expected 'battery-only' cruising time. Then program the DC Generator (voltage, current) to be able to recharge the batteries at a decent rate. The referenced generator can turn on/off as needed (programmable voltage thresholds).

nice gentleman at the marina gave me a small honda generator, said the gas tank needs a good cleaning
the boat has a 10 amp charger, not sure if it will work and its not enough wattage for hybrid but its small and light

IMG_20220619_153740.jpg

but today i got a really good deal on a generator that was used one time during a power outage 2 years ago and now wont start

has enough horsepower to do 3000 watts continuous

IMG_20220619_153635.jpg

IMG_20220619_153655.jpg

time to strip it down and see what kind of wires are coming out of the generator

We ran an diesel engine in my childhood home and sold power back to the grid. It was just an AC synchronous motor ( turned to an RPM that make 60Hz, 240v, rated power, based on pole configuration and RPM for the RMS voltage) run off the engine. Made 240v AC. Went to the load center panel. Powered the house.

An inverter is an inverter. It takes DC and makes AC. Pretty sure a Phaserunner is an inverter bridge inside.

The way I was thinking. I don't need a sensor start because that's the gas motor spinning and I'm just taking the 3 phase and going to DC with the Regen through the phaserunner.
I guess hook up a pr and battery to the generator and see if the PR can auto tune it

Back