Build my own winch for watersport. Broke my controller?

Gtech

1 µW
Hi all,

I build my own first winch for some fun on the water, here you can see it in action:

https://youtu.be/MrMor7LJufQ

Picture:

https://imgur.com/gallery/9qiXco9

I'm now using a HS3540 on lipo 18S 10ah with a lyen controller 18 fet sensorless controller.

The problem is that I am struggling with enough power. When doing a wakeboard waterstart it draws 80a for a few seconds before turning to 5a/6a. But for proper waterstart think I need 125a/150a for 4/5 seconds.

Guess I also sort of killed the lyen controller today, it still runs when there is no load but when you put it to load it totally stalls after less then a second to zero rpm.

After each run I checked the temperature of the battery, motor and controller and all was not above 25 degree Celcius.

Do I need a heavier controller or did I just got unlucky with this second hand one?

On 18S speed is OK, just need more starting power.

I will try to find the printscreen of the settings I used I believe is was something like 80a cont / 200a peak

Hope you guys can help me out.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Hey Marcel,

Pretty cool project! We have always had great succes using 150a motorcontrollers for waterstarts with a similar setup. I would look into using something along those lines.

My experience comes from building these machines professionally.

Best of luck getting her running!

Get 24fet controller from alieexpress. Greentime brand. You will be fine. And you can replace the broken mosfets in the 18fet controller too

stijnhofstee said:
Hey Marcel,

Pretty cool project! We have always had great succes using 150a motorcontrollers for waterstarts with a similar setup. I would look into using something along those lines.

My experience comes from building these machines professionally.

Best of luck getting her running!

Can you give me a link or brand name of maybe you can sell me a controller?

Bazaki said:
Get 24fet controller from alieexpress. Greentime brand. You will be fine. And you can replace the broken mosfets in the 18fet controller too

Greentime 24fet 3000W is 80A max? I really need 150A for 5-10 sec max to do a proper waterstart.

In the meantime I bought this beast, 120A cont and 240A max

https://www.kellycontrollers.eu/kbs72221e

But it seems to be that this controller will not run sensorless so I think I screwed up :oops:

I ran 80a battery current with an 18 fet at 18s lipo
The 24 fet can run 150a If you ask them. They can program it.

A 36 fet greentime is even stronger. That would be overkill.

Those controllers can run with hall sensors and also sensorless

Bazaki-
Did you ever post pictures of your winch? I can only make out that you have a hub motor in a box with the fairlead on the outside of the box using an 18s battery. How did you mount the hub to the plastic box? Need some tips for doing my own build. I have too many options and want to narrow down what is easiest and works best. Got a ton of extra motors and controllers.

Back