Aerobic Cruiser Hybrid Cycle

Looks like this thread died, just like the Aerobic Cruiser. I never got a chance to ride one (I live in Memphis but wasn't willing to pay the substantial sum required for a test ride) but I really like the design.

Why did it fail?

Timing is one reason: It would have had a better chance today because LOT'S of bike lanes have been added to the streets of Memphis. Memphis has some horrible patched up roads but many main arteries that have been completely repaved, now include bike lanes. In fact, Memphis is now at the bronze level of bike-friendly cities in the USA. Before the GreenLine, Memphis was rated as one of the worse cities to cycle in. We've come a long way!

Reason number two: The Aerobic Cruiser shop, although located very close to the GreenLine, didn't have anything to offer the average cyclist. In other words, it was a showroom for the Cruiser, NOT a typical bike shop that could service regular bikes. This was a seriously missed opportunity to build community business.

Reason number 3: Gotta have three, right? Memphis is EXTREMELY hot and humid in the summer months. The market this bike would appeal to (transportation over recreation) will not ride in the summer unless they are acclimated to it first. Memphis summers are so hot that you will break out in a sweat just stepping outside.

When riding an eBike in Memphis summers, you only sweat up your clothes while at a complete stop. That's why we eBikers time the traffic lights so we don't HAVE to come to a complete stop. Newbies don't know this. They just say, "I don't want to arrive at work sweaty, besides, where am I going to store the bike while I'm at work?"

Reason #4: "Where will I store this thing when I'm at work?" This is a valid point as the Cruiser weighs around 100 pounds. People who work at a business with a parking garage would have to lobby for secure bike racks. In fact, only a few businesses have added bike racks, even though a bike lane is right in front of their shop. These issues are being addressed, but very slowly.

I hope the Aerobic Cruiser makes a comeback. As an eBike guy and bicycle mechanic living in Memphis, I'd like to be directly involved with the comeback. All the components are off the shelf. These things would be easy to repair, modify, and up-grade. And that design, that design just looks right for a serious commuter bike for the average person. Especially older commuters that want to live a healthier, greener lifestyle.

I am glad to see some activity on this thread. I thought it had died also. I got mine July 2013 from Blair in Cordova and posted some info. on ES earlier. Your reasoning is correct on the failure of the AC. General Manager, Blair Hawkins said that it was the most over engineered EB ever introduced, which is a good thing!. I think this caused them to be originally priced at nearly 5K. So, pricing (and distribution network) would have contributed greatly to the marketing failure, along with your reasons on the local market. I got mine for less than half that at closeout which included an extra battery. Wish I had purchased more along with some components, like controllers, etc. Anyway, that said, I know that someone from NC or SC purchased the remaining number of them, probably at a great price reduction. I have not seen them on the market and suspect they may be being used as concession bikes for some local trail there. I also know someone who purchased quite a few of the remaining components. Mine has been super, although I don't ride that much since trikes are more comfortable for me due to age, etc. I keep both batteries maintained monthly but have only cycled mine about 8-10 times. It will probably outlast me if I don't sell it first. The only problem I see with the AC is trying to get away from folks asking about it. Thanks for your post, I hope you get notice of this but I'm not sure how these forums work. Bob

Hey, Bob! I haven't been on here in quite a while. Getting ready to offer up my eBike collection to the public. Making a move soon and need to convert product-to-cash, for the move. Cheers! Don

Reviving the thread. I just bought one of the original demo units. Its a bit of a basket case but hopefully it won't take much to resurrect it. Anybody know what I connections I need to program the ASI controller, My controller says its a BAC 80? I hope my enthusiasm outweighs my ignorance.

Back