CA3+PAS with VESC

nomo81

1 mW
Hello inspering people,
excuse me, but I couldn't find anything on the topic here.
I'm looking for someone who connected a PAS sensor to Cycle Analyst 3 and then connected the CA3 to a VESC 4.12 using PPM.
Some Links (if ok) to some equipment and the matching configurations would be perfect.
Thanks for any answer in advance
Kind regards

what specifically do you need to know?

are you having a specific problem with such a system that you are building?

if so, what is that specific problem?

amberwolf said:
what specifically do you need to know?

are you having a specific problem with such a system that you are building?

if so, what is that specific problem?

Slightly off topic, but maybe connected, and an opportunity to learn a little more about the CA...It looks like the CA can output either an analog voltage from its throttle output, or a PWM signal (not sure if that's what's being described), but not a PPM signal. I've read elsewhere that the VESC doesn't really take a PPM signal, but actually takes a PWM signal, or at least in this application. It would seem that the output of the CA should interface with the throttle input of the VESC. Anyway, it will be interesting to hear how it all really works.

The below describes the signal fed via the CA connector, but I'm assuming that the throttle signal from the standalone unit would provide a similar signal and options?

"3.4 Throttle OUT
The Cycle Analyst sends the Throttle OUT signal (ThO) to the motor controller via the CA-DP connector. It can be set up as either a variable voltage signal for ebike controllers or as a digital 1-2mS pulse for RC controllers. The min to max output range should be adjusted to correspond to the throttle input range of the controller to ensure the controller is driven to max at full operator throttle and is completely OFF when the operator throttle is closed. You can also use the extensive ramping options to achieve smooth power engagement and remove the aggressive edge from powerful motor systems."

Thanks for the fast answers and i think E-HP nailed it ;)

So it seems the with a little bit of config the CA 3 will work with an VESC 4.12, so i will give it a try.
I think all CA3 variants will be fine

@amberwolf
I was looking for someone who maybe has this combination (PAS+CA3/2+VESC) in practical use on an ebike/pedelec
and if i where able to specifi the communication specs between these parts in depth i presumably will be able to answer my own questions :)

To round it up maybe my last question:
Is there an PAS which works with an CA 3 out of the box?
Doesn´t matter if an bottom bracket unit (messuring step up power) or just such an hall sensor magnet field attachment "thing" (just on/off when magents are passing by)

Have a great day
nomo

nomo81 said:
I was looking for someone who maybe has this combination (PAS+CA3/2+VESC) in practical use on an ebike/pedelec
and if i where able to specifi the communication specs between these parts in depth i presumably will be able to answer my own questions :)
there are no communication specs, becuase the ca3 does not communicate with anything.

all it does is take various sensor inputs (ebrake, battery voltage, current shunt, throttle, pas, temperature, etc) and process them all based on settings you choose in the various menus to then calculate a throttle voltage (or pulse width) to send to whatever controller you connect that throttle output to.

i don't know if anyone has used multiple vescs and controlled their throttle inputs from a ca3. it might take some forum searching on posts with vesc in them (of which there are a lot) to find out. :/ probably a lot of reading, if you haven't already done it. :( don't know if it is worth the time or not.

do you already have parts you are trying to get to work together?
if so, then to get help with them you must post--
-- what they are
--how you are connecting them
--what *actually* happens when you try to use them
--what you *want* to happen that is different from that
--etc
and then we can help you figure out what to do to make that happen. :)

Is there an PAS which works with an CA 3 out of the box?
Doesn´t matter if an bottom bracket unit (messuring step up power) or just such an hall sensor magnet field attachment "thing" (just on/off when magents are passing by)
yes. basically all of them. ;)

see the ebikes.ca info page for the ca3 for details.

any pulse-based pedal cadence "pas" sensor with 24 magnets at most will direclty work with the ca3, just by setting the ca3 pas sensor menu settings to whatever matches it.

most if not all of the torque sensors can also be used, as long as you setup the ca3 menus for it appropriatley to it's specs, and calibrate it on your bike. several are already preset, just pick from menu.

there are various interacting settings in the ca3, some of them in rather complex ways, so before you even start setting one up, you should go to the ebikes.ca info page for the ca3 and read everything, including hte linked manuals and setup guides, and then go step by step thru te instructions, not skipping *any* steps, to be sure that you set every single setting to something compatible with the way you want it to work.

if you instead choose to just pick some things to setup and ingnore others, evne if you think you're not using htem, the system may not behave as you expect.

fwiw, i'm using the ca to read just the cadence sensor part of a torque sensing tdcm bb right now, to control two motors via independent controllers on the sb cruiser trike's rear wheels. i culd just use any old pas cadence sensor to do it too. there is also a regular throttle for startups, since the trike is too heavy for me to always get started on pedals alone, but the pas controls everything after i startup from a stop. then there is an ebrake input to the ca to shutoff output when i brake and to cause the controllers to engage regen braking. the throttle signal out from the ca goes to both controllers in parallel, so they get the same signal to do the same thing with each motor.

Many thanks, in addition to the CA3 ill take a "look" at the tdcm bb at ebikes.ca
Hopefully i could take the time to study the hole CA3 Universe
Have a good day

Back