May Purchase of KBO - Stealth Hurricane

JR-Namida

1 µW
Stealth Urban Electric Bike KBO Hurricane purchased after reading an review on youtube of a person weighing 220 pounds road bicycle 32 mile in highest level of power 3/3 ranges. I was also considering the Ride1up Roadster V2, but range was not 32 miles with the smaller stealth battery.

I used the link on the review, to make the $1,045 purchase - https://kbobike.com/products/road-electric-bike

The shipping was quick, less than a week via FedEx. Bicycle was packed solid better/more secure than any bicycle I have ever received.

This was my first adventure into owning an eBike, and there were no companies that had this or another type of ebike available for a test ride that I could find in 200 miles. At first thought I could rent one to properly test but that turned out not to be the case. My budget was limited so after reading a number of reviews I decided on a belt driven single speed alloy bicycle, with a small motor. Website lists the Hurricane bicycle at 36 pounds, unpacked assembled without pedals, or a water bottle it weight 37.7 pounds on my scale.

The next day with the downtube located 9.73 Ah battery freshly charged I went for an early morning ride of 32 miles, I road 5 miles without any motor assist and 27 miles with mostly level 1/3 power levels and was pleased with the performance. This is a ride I often do on several different road bicycles and I enjoyed the power assist, but have no other electric bicycle experience to compare to this ride.

On my ride the 700x32 tire pressure was at limit of the odd brand road bike style tires 65 psi. I weight 216 pounds, stand 6' 4" tall and the bicycle fit well after raising the saddle to the minimum seatpost insertion line. I stopped and showed off the bicycle several times, ate with friends that day. I tracked the ride with my Lezyne Super GPS posted the results on "Mapmyride" https://www.mapmyride.com/workout/5786774131

I have since replaced a few bits with carbon fiber: fork, flat bar to drop bar, heavy saddle and seat post, MT style brake levers to track levers, with Trip Wire. I must carry the bicycle up and down flights of stairs, the bicycle now tips the scale at 35 pounds after these replacement modifications. Much easier to carry bicycle up the stairs now the front end has become a little bit lighter...

Performance is nice on flat level pavement, but trying to climb is not very easy. My road bikes are all under 20 pounds, and climbing with no motor assistance I find difficult with a 35 pound bicycle. Climbing a short hill my cadence slows, and the bicycle thinks I want to ride slower, that becomes a never ending story That I lose. I have struggle up several hills with an overweight bicycle that depends on fast cadence to believe you need some assistance.

I understand I purchased a single speed bicycle with a 250 watt motor, but did not know I needed a Torque Sensor to get motor assist when climbing long inclines and short hills that slow my cadence. I have adjusted my ride routes to eliminate hills and inclines where my cadences becomes slow, and am now feeling better about my Stealth Urban Electric Bike KBO Hurricane purchase.

Will update when the temperatures cool off at Sunrise, in another 60 days maybe we will start enjoying cooler night temperatures and i can ride this eBike some more...2021-05-23-00.jpg

Back