Ariel Rider Kepler very FAST

Dorosko

1 mW
I just opened up my new bike yesterday. The shape is a little wonky. The head tub seems really high but it's comfortable enough. The seat was reasonably nice. The hydraulic disc brakes didn't work very well but maybe they'll work better once I put some miles on it or with new pads. I had a Velowave before which seemed to be built a little better. What this bike does have is a 52v 20ah battery that pushes it about 33mph on throttle alone and I hit 38 mph peddling. I really like that the throttle isn't limited. The throttle is also proportional. Interestingly enough it works more like the throttle on a tractor which is a speed governor than a traditional throttle. So the twist position of the throttle is associated with a desired speed. I may have been able to get more but with the wind and turns in the road, that's what I got. So the bike has plenty of speed. The advertisement for it claims up to 75 mile range. Not sure where they came up with that but it seemed to be eating through the battery riding around in the mid 30s. I may add a battery in parallel to gain some range and maybe some amps depending on the capabilities of the controller and BMS. Once interesting thing I noticed was that the battery only charges to 85%. The bike shows it to be 100%. I'm not sure if this is designed into the charger or BMS but the manufacturer has limited the charge state in an attempt to get more longevity out of the battery. I typically only charge to 85 anyways but I'm going to look for a way around this for the occasion I'd like to get more speed.
It comes with a headlight, taillight, brake lights and turn signal. Those are all nice but the turn signals are worthless. It has plastic fenders, a cheap little bell, the rear cassette looks cheap and it has a huge rear rack that looks very stable. Overall I'm very happy with it.

You can check the charger output with a voltmeter. Before now, I had never heard of a manufacturer of e-bikes restricting the SOC.

I did. The voltage was 58.8. I usually charge my batteries with a power supply and typically through a charger protection board (XH-M604). I haven't set that up here yet since I haven't yet gotten a charging plug for this battery to add to my charge protector. The BMS seems smart. I measured the voltage going out of the battery at 50.4v while it was charging. The voltage jumped up to 56.4 when I removed the battery charger so the BMS is in there making decisions.

I made a mistake with the voltage. It does go to 58.8. The display only displays percentages, not voltage, and it's wildly off. I have an extra 18ah battery I put in parrallel so I can get some legitimate range. Great bike but need a little refinement.

Be careful "mixing" batteries. You might be better off using each separately.

Back