Mudguards for inverted forks ?

lukas999

10 W
Hey guys
any solutions how to mount Mudguards for inverted forks on stairs covers ( DNM ) ?
I would like to hear Your opinion
Thanks

lukas999 said:
Hey guys
any solutions how to mount Mudguards for inverted forks on stairs covers ( DNM ) ?
I would like to hear Your opinion
Thanks

Mount it to the underside of the fork crown like a real MX bike? That's not much protection, but then you did choose an MX fork.

this is how I mount fenders in the front.
My fenders do not move with fork, they are mounted under arch of suspension fork NOT under crown .
This way my front fenders really better protect from splash.
Same on my winter ebike.
after thousends of kilometers this way of mounting proofed to be rock reliable.

Attachments

• BIRIA EPLUS 011.JPG
    BIRIA EPLUS 011.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 2,736
so off the shelf Bafang on close to USD5000 EBIKE?
they better test those Bafangs really good before mounting them on USD 4500 ebikes.

miro13car said:
this is how I mount fenders in the front.
My fenders do not move with fork, they are mounted under arch of suspension fork NOT under crown .
This way my front fenders really better protect from splash.
Same on my winter ebike.
after thousends of kilometers this way of mounting proofed to be rock reliable.

Awesome, where did you buy those?

miro13car said:
those are Planet Bike brand fenders, bought from
Mountain Equipment Coop in Calgary, Canada.

Will they work on inverted forks though? It appears they would end up attaching to the stanchion tubes and limiting travel on inverts, unless I'm mistaken.

miro13car said:
As you can see yellow fender is so close to tire.
No affecting travel .

I see that, but it appears to me that the picture above shows a regular fork, not inverted. The fender appears to attach via clamps to the exterior fork sliders in that pic, or am I mis-seeing that? If so, that would be smack dab in the middle of the inner stanchion tubes on an inverted fork, which would very much hinder travel.

s1600_3.jpg

Get a small tube -- or is it called a pipe? -- about 1 cm (1/2"-ish) outer diameter, 1 or 2mm wall thickness.
Bend the tube to make it fit over your tire.
Measure required length (desired mudguard height) and cut the tube to size.
Drill holes to mount the mudguard at the top and for the caliper mount on the bottom.

Paint, assemble, enjoy.

My DNM USD-8S fork has double brake caliper mounts, one on each side, but no doubt this can be squeezed under a "in-use" brake mount as well.
Please dont mind the giant washers on top, those got changed later.

And NO, you cannot just cut and upside-down U from a 1mm sheet metal... Trust me I tried, it bends. Also the tube is faaaar less work...

IMG_20200715_075621_HDR.jpg

EDIT: Mods, please, if possible move this thread to "technical" section

Back