I bit the bullet - Grid Tie Backup Solar Coming Soon

Sunder

10 MW
I've just ordered a 5.5kw Solar install for my house.

16 x 345W LG Neon 2 Panels,
16 Panel Optimisers (I live in a very green area, so lots of trees)
Solar Edge 5kw Backup Inverter (Built in Battery Charger/Inverter)

I will probably put 2-3kwh of batteries under the house, to store excess energy for overnight use. Apparently not all power supply companies here support true "net metering", as in they don't consider you to have put in 25kwh during the day, and took out 25kwh during the night for a balance of zero. They will give you 10c per kwh for $2.50 during the day, then charge you $7.50 for taking out 25kwh during the night.

Fun times!

So that calls for a high voltage battery then? It makes it harder to add more capacity later I guess.

Sales person said it can take any voltage battery up to 1000v, but current is limited to 17A.

I'm thinking maybe a 150V battery, like my motorcycle. That's 2.5kw, that should be enough for running night time stuff. Our air conditioners are 600W each, gas oven, gas hot water. Couldn't use anything else while the Dishwasher was running, but would probably run that during that day anyway.

Every now and again you get factory LTO batteries, usually around 20Ah, for $5USD + $10USD shipping. (These are the lowest of the low in the 66160 batteries. As I understand, most deliver 40Ah (About 40USD each), but there's a grade 2 with zero problems between 30 and 35Ah (Usually 25-30 USD each), then there are the "no promises on what we're sending you 20Ah" batteries.)

If I can batch them together with a bulk buy and get a full pallet, I might be able to get that shipping down, making them very attractive for low performance applications.

Hay, are you still looking for a decent HV battery for this setup?
I started an iMiEV battery upgrade with some 60 Ah prismatic NMC cells, but the owner of the car needed to sell it before I got too far along. She also needs to sell the battery cells - so if you're interested let me know.
I have 90 of them, but 16 have already been built into two 8s modules.
$6000 + shipping is still a loss for her, but not as bad.

Back