World's most efficient wind turbine?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Put up or shut up. This sector is overrun with bullshit artists already.

Hillhater said:
Utter bull5hit!
Really sophisticated test proceedure !!!
Not even a mention of the generator itself ?
And a wind turbine like was used on remote properties to pump water 100 yrs ago
Not watched the video, so many make similar wild claims flying straight in the face of physics that it's never worth the effort but the seemingly primitive water pump of 100 years ago is actually quite an efficient design ideally suited to it's purpose and highly relevant to wind power today.

You don't see it used simply because it's slow turning, everything today is aimed at directly producing electricity based on older generator designs, ones that don't do a whole lot at low speeds and step up gearing is notoriously difficult with wind power (it needs to be extremely heavy to stand the peak loads and so is far too inefficient at normal loads).

The water pump impellers are designed to work at very low wind speeds and a modern hub motor can produce good power at those kind of rotational speeds, ideal for areas that have consistent steady winds and making use of lower wind speed ranges allows more consistent output so storage requirements can be cut back a lot over more conventional 2 and 3 blade impellers. That's the thing that makes wind power impractical for all but a few locations, wind inconsistency and the amount of storage needed to allow for it but using a high surface area, low speed impeller more than doubles the number of viable locations over conventional high speed turbines.

stan.distortion said:
.....the seemingly primitive water pump of 100 years ago is actually quite an efficient design ideally suited to it's purpose and highly relevant to wind power today.
You don't see it used simply because it's slow turning, everything today is aimed at directly producing electricity based on older generator designs, ones that don't do a whole lot at low speeds and step up gearing is notoriously difficult with wind power (it needs to be extremely heavy to stand the peak loads and so is far too inefficient at normal loads)
Stan, are you not aware of the Direct Drive wind turbines , in common use world wide for many years.
The operate in wind speeds down to 2-3km/h at 10-30 rpm.
https://www.energy.gov/eere/articles/advanced-wind-turbine-drivetrain-trends-and-opportunities
..and those old wind pumps ( i have seen them crudely adapted as generators also).are far from slow turning !....usually several hundred rpm !
..just watch their video !

I was hoping for comments from people, who have actually built real world windmills and have experience / understands windmills & engineering behind it. OP have shown results with prototype and I don't think it is virtual.

Chalo said:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Put up or shut up. This sector is overrun with bullshit artists already.

In video, OP shows results, are those fake?

ZeroEm said:
Ducted does capture the air flow and increase the velocity. Many draw backs, size and tracking the wind direction. Not cheap.

Surely, they aren't cheap but they can produce more energy at lower wind speeds, which in terms of output are better than not getting any energy at all. The key is to get power when when speeds are lower.

Have thought about wind turbines, here but just not enough wind. To get any it would need to be above the trees and don't think that is legal here but don't remember now. Think it was the cost of the tower and turbine and for the interment power. It would be a boon in the winter time.

Generator said:
Chalo said:

Who knows? The proof needs to come from a trustworthy party other than the one making an unlikely claim.

ZeroEm said:
Ducted does capture the air flow and increase the velocity. Many draw backs, size and tracking the wind direction. Not cheap.

Big spinner also helps..but has to be counted in capture area as well.

miilun_spinneri.jpg

Chalo said:
Generator said:
Chalo said:

Who knows? The proof needs to come from a trustworthy party other than the one making an unlikely claim.

I think the answer you're searching for is "yes".

That video shows an induction motor spinning a fan with some lightbulbs next to it being turned on by his friend. Or maybe the guy doing the video is turning the dimmer who knows. Big mysteries.

Hillhater said:
topspeed said:
Big spinner also helps..but has to be counted in capture area as well.

miilun_spinneri.jpg
I have no idea what that is a photo of.......but i am sure it is not a wind turbine ?

Six bladed wind turbine, with adjustable self regulating pitch.

Homemade design.

Since there is a question mark at the end of the thread title, technically it is not a claim but a question. At the very least its an interesting project done with whatever materials the builders had available to them.

59% is the maximum kinetic recovery from ANY wind design.

period.

Except when you do this:

I have seen some very efficient turbine designed. I have also seen them when they blow up and take out the building, throwing 100 ton pieces of metal the lengths of a football field.

Lol.

Basics of Wind Energy:

Kinetic Energy of wind is: 1/2 * mass * velocity * velocity
momentum in the wind = mass x velocity
Power per unit area = KE * momentum --> MV2 *MV
So Power that can be extracted from the wind goes as velocity cubed (V3)
27 times more power is in a wind blowing at 60 mph than one blowing at 20 mph

For average atmospheric conditions of density and moisture contant:

Power per sq. meter = .0006 V3

velocity measured in meters per second
Power then measured in KILOwatts
1 meter per second is approximately 2 mph
20 mph wind =10 m/s --> Power generated equals

.0006 * 103 = .0006 * 1000 = .6 KILO watts per square meter
which is 600 watts per square meter
this is identical to average solar power per square meter

Windmills can not operate at 100% efficiency because the structure itself impedes the flow of the wind

Theoretical maximum efficiency is 59%
Picaresque Dutch Windmill (4=arms) = 16%
Rotary, multiblade = 30%
High speed propeller (vertical) = 42%

Clearly, wind power is a highly variable source and hence energy storage is crucial.

Rotary type windmills have high torque and are useful for pumping water

High speed propeller types have low torque and are most efficient at high rotational velocities --> useful for generation of electricity

DogDipstick said:
59% is the maximum kinetic recovery from ANY wind design.

period.

Except when you do this:

I have seen some very efficient turbine designed. I have also seen them when they blow up and take out the building, throwing 100 ton pieces of metal the lengths of a football field.

Lol.

Basics of Wind Energy:

Kinetic Energy of wind is: 1/2 * mass * velocity * velocity
momentum in the wind = mass x velocity
Power per unit area = KE * momentum --> MV2 *MV
So Power that can be extracted from the wind goes as velocity cubed (V3)
27 times more power is in a wind blowing at 60 mph than one blowing at 20 mph

For average atmospheric conditions of density and moisture contant:

Power per sq. meter = .0006 V3

velocity measured in meters per second
Power then measured in KILOwatts
1 meter per second is approximately 2 mph
20 mph wind =10 m/s --> Power generated equals

.0006 * 103 = .0006 * 1000 = .6 KILO watts per square meter
which is 600 watts per square meter
this is identical to average solar power per square meter

Windmills can not operate at 100% efficiency because the structure itself impedes the flow of the wind

Theoretical maximum efficiency is 59%
Picaresque Dutch Windmill (4=arms) = 16%
Rotary, multiblade = 30%
High speed propeller (vertical) = 42%

Clearly, wind power is a highly variable source and hence energy storage is crucial.

Rotary type windmills have high torque and are useful for pumping water

High speed propeller types have low torque and are most efficient at high rotational velocities --> useful for generation of electricity

Then there is ANEW which claims 74% efficiency: https://www.energy-xprt.com/products/anew-model-b1-vertical-axis-wind-turbine-669009

topspeed said:
Then there is ANEW which claims 74% efficiency:

Try to distinguish between claims, credible claims, and facts. Everything in the alternative energy sector makes much more sense when you do.

Chalo said:
topspeed said:

Try to distinguish between claims, credible claims, and facts. Everything in the alternative energy sector makes much more sense when you do.

I am just wondering how a company that has operated since 1989 can advertise 74% efficiency...if it is not true.

topspeed said:
Chalo said:
topspeed said:

I am just wondering how a company that has operated since 1989 can advertise 74% efficiency...if it is not true.

Maybe you should wonder why everybody isn't using their tech.

Looks a well balanced machine capable of powering a few bulbs so he harvesting 500w or so from a huge jalopy thats more area than 2 solar panels but with less output than them, let me ask what efficency is solar again ?

Its shit its not even using lift its a windmill nothing more.

If space is an issue then a kite system seems to be the best solution for megawatt ground power further up to the jets you go stronger the wind force less kite area needed for same power output force.

I seen one guy make a rotating kite frim bike wheels deploy in bad wind and get 700w for free all in a back pack feom 3 bike wheels and a hub motor.

I can only find an early version here
[youtube]22WS_UCa42o[/youtube]

Im sure he has developed it into a small rucksack version deployable for extreme weather campers etc i could see it working in a motor home etc too.

Back