Inverter with my Solar system make a noise! why?

Hi guys, I bought a PowerBright ML2300-24 inverter, I tested it and when I plug a devices the inverter make a inside noise. Is it normal? this noise is not good to ear!

I plug a PC computer on it and the power supply on this PC make a noise to.

What is the problem?

Thanks.

Inverters often make some noise. This particular unit is putting out a "modified sine wave" which is actually a square wave with three states - low, zero and high. This causes the AC supply in the load to make noise. The square wave is not a nice clean 60hz sine wave that is the normal for AC power, it has harmonics across the audio spectrum that you can hear.

Alan B said:
Inverters often make some noise. This particular unit is putting out a "modified sine wave" which is actually a square wave with three states - low, zero and high. This causes the AC supply in the load to make noise. The square wave is not a nice clean 60hz sine wave that is the normal for AC power, it has harmonics across the audio spectrum that you can hear.

This is bad for the devices plugged on it? like I said, I use a computer and I ears a noise from the Power Supply. I not ear that when it plugged to home wall AC or APC UPS.

General_Lee said:
Alan B said:

This is bad for the devices plugged on it? like I said, I use a computer and I ears a noise from the Power Supply. I not ear that when it plugged to home wall AC or APC UPS.

If you do some searching on "modified vs pure sine wave" you can find articles and videos answering this question in more detail. In some cases it works fine even though it might make noise. In other cases it makes the power supply warmer than usual. In yet other cases it does not work or even causes damage. It depends on how the load reacts to this waveform.

General_Lee said:
This is bad for the devices plugged on it?
For some devices, yes. It depends on how they are designed. It's very bad for any motor based appliance (refrigerators, pumps.)

billvon said:
General_Lee said:
This is bad for the devices plugged on it?
For some devices, yes. It depends on how they are designed. It's very bad for any motor based appliance (refrigerators, pumps.)

Thanks, Having known, I have not checked this before :oops: . My mistake, I know now the best is Pure sine wave.

I had to chuckle at this. I work in utility PV and some of those 800-1800kW central inverter’s really can make some seriously loud, annoying noise at high gating intensities.

SMA is a very popular inverter and we’ve joked that it stands for Sound Making Apparatus.

Here is the shortest clip I have that demonstrates the sound. I occasionally make these how-to videos for new hires & such where I work. This is just part of a longer video explaining how to perform one specific aspect a larger routine maintenance task. I’m essentially having to shout over the noise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WKCxFDtfpTvnjzC68

That’s weird. Let me try again
https://photos.app.goo.gl/T2d1VchwvJHXS1p26

I guess I could put it on YouTube but I don’t think I’m ready to take “Robby’s PV TV” live yet :lol:

Back