How to cook black beans to make their own gravy

I'm no chef, this is for somebody that maybe never cooked dried beans, or didn't like them.
I've been eating them for years, but the last 2# from Publix were crappy, so i decided to experiment to find out why.
1st step is to soak overnight.
I mix several beans to make a tasty dish. You combine what you like, so mine is just the dish de jour.
1/2 cup dried black
1/2 c split peas
1/4 kidney
collards or broccoli rabe
1/2 t salt, 1/2 t stew mix
after this simmers 2-3 hours i add 1/4 c barley or rice for 1/2 hour, then whatever is in the fridge, like corn?
then onions for 7 minutes, let stand 30 min, add maybe a can of mushrooms and 3 oz tomato paste.
I start this in the morning and eat it for dinner PLUS 3 more equal portions put in the fridge for 3 more days; it tastes great every day.
The problem with the Publix beans was that they were still crunchy after 2 hrs, and needed 3 hours to make the gravy and lose the crunch.
Years ago i'd add 4 oz of cooked meat, but, once i found out that meat has no benefits(unless trying to gain weight), i don't bother anymore. Same for oil NO OIL- oil is not healthy (clogs capilaries, blood vessles, causes heart disease)
Uruguay rice from Dollar Tree. 2# $1. Research shows low arsenic content, much better than southern US rice. once grew cotton and killed insects with arsenic. Now they grow rice in same fields :roll: so South America much better

Back