Can YOU Survive Nitro Cold brew?

Dauntless

100 TW
While they're in there trying to kill each other with keyboards, we should be sending them some Nitro Cold Brew. Don't drink coffee myself, but I discovered there are cans with a device at the bottom, so I had to look into this:

Wow, when you open the can it releases nitrogen into your coffee. That's the gas they use in racing tires so they don't expand as they heat up. You inhale over 80% nitrogen, but you'd suffocate on 100%. So is it dangerous or not?

Nitro coffee as been recalled, but only individually. It's still on the market despite all the botulism. Makes it look like dark beer.

Man, if only those devices I found in those cans were worth something.

https://risebrewingco.com/blogs/notes-on-nitro/why-we-add-nitrogen-and-a-widget-to-rise-cold-brew-coffee

Nitrogen is used in the food industry as a oxygen displacement to promote freshness. It's used in the meat industry to cryovac primal cuts packed in plastic bags. The bags are flushed with nitrogen before vacuum sealing. It works great, enabling the meat to stay fresh for about 2 months. It aids in the aging process too. I always aged the meat I sold for at least 3 weeks before distributing it.
It was hell on cash flow but I could charge $.50/lb more for the well aged product. For the super expensive restaurants I aged it a month and they would open the bags and then age it ~10 more days, sometimes more.

This is only done with beef in solid form. Ground beef needs to be eaten asap after ground up. You want your steaks to look greenish brown before cooking, ground beef is best when pink. Butchers use red dye in their hamburger to fool the customer into thinking it's fresh. It's legal to do this. :confused:

Where NY steaks were invented the meat was allowed to turn blue with mold. Then the mold was scraped off and rinsed, only then was it cooked.

Back