Can melatonin stop midnight hunger? But it can raise fasting glucose -post 3

Interesting video on how melatonin turns off insulin production https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zXks8iePes
When i was in my 40's i had trouble sleeping and found melatonin helps. I'd wake up several times but did not feel hungry. Recently some web Dr's said not to use it, so i was using it much less. BUT sometimes i'd wake up really hungry, and i'd blame this on my vegan diet. BUT it seems to be the low melatonin levels as when i take some i'm not hungry. :bigthumb:
It is not a drug, just a hormone.

I occasionally take some melatonin when I need a good night's sleep for an important event the next day, or if hard work will be required (*once every two weeks?).
Concerning any supplement, I'd recommend starting with a low dose and slowly raise it to find the minimum dose to get the desired effect.

I don't like taking larger tablets and then sometimes breaking them in half, so I prefer using low dose tablets and taking multiples to control the dosage. Even for over-the-counter supplements, there can be inter-reactions with medications or other supplements, so determining a precise low dose that works is my goal.

For melatonin, I found 5mg tablets, and one helps, two on occasion didn't cause any problems. I've never tried three. I hadn't heard about the insulin thing, useful info...

Study shows it raises fasting glucose https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/310321
So if i took it the night before my blood test to get a good sleep, that could explain my elevated 116 level.
i think the Ha1c is a better test. mine was 5.1
More from Dr Patrick https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/melatonin-insulin-response

I never had midnight hunger since i went keto. Midnight hunger happens when your body cannot switch to a ketogenic state and burn your body fat for fuel because you've trained it that carbohydrates are the fuel that goes in the tank. And carbohydrates are a very short lasting fuel, so your body can run out during sleep quite easily.

One note of caution is that if you perpetually take melatonin in high doses ( i'm not sure what the threshold is here; guessing we're talking about 5-10+ mg every night? ), you can develop a physiological addiction as your body's innate production will temporarily stop. If this happens, then you will go through many days of horror movie grade insomnia until your body relearns that it needs to produce melatonin.

Beware that you are playing with a powerful hormone here and use the lowest dose you can get away with as infrequently as possible.

I have some in my medicine cabinet and determined my effective dose is 2mg. I use it to bail me out if i've accidentally overconsumed caffiene and cannot get to sleep.

Years ago, i had no idea that high fat diets cause heart disease. And i had no idea why i could only cut grass for 8 minutes a day. :shock: i weighed 133 and there seemed to be no heart disease in my family, so i thought.
Well i didn't even know what heart disease was :lol: Glad i found out in time.
nep
i recall you said you were on a vegan diet for years, but were hungry all the time, and gave it up.
is dying years earlier from heart disease worth it? Not me. i'll just grab a snack or at night take some melatonin :bigthumb:

I've already told you that my lifelong heart issues ended within months once i switched to keto in my early 30's, and i no longer seek medical attention for them.
My results are the opposite of what you imagine, going on 9 years.

I won't entertain the argument.. and didn't intend to start one.

My cousin traded in his Toyota. He said it had a knock. I asked him what was knocking, and he did not know, he just figured the engine was bad.
Numerous causes of a knock. My friend bought a knocking car cheap, tightened the loose torque converter bolts, and was very happy.
Similar with the many types of heart disease, i've learned that slow healing is a form of heart disease. Funny story (now, not then) i had terrible knee cap pain at age 36. I was so worried about dying on the operating table, i moved to Philadelphia, center city, to get the best Dr. to operate. I was doing post-op exercises to speed recovery and slowly i got better so no operation. Here is the double surprise, i did not have a car in the city and some food was hard to come by. I ate a lot less ice cream :lol: having no idea that fat causes, at least in me, slow healing, or no healing. It took 30 years for me to make the connection :roll:
So i never had any operations for anything ever.
I'm no Dr. so anything i suggest should be verified by a Dr. I've read over and over that a marker for heart disease is cholesterol OVER 150. As to what problems that might lead to, ... seems to be dozens, i don't know, i'm no Dr. Mine was 196 :shock: now it is 135 8)
Nep,
i've said before, you found a solution that works for you, and a different one works for me. I don't have any problem with that. No argument here.

Back