What did you cook today??

StudEbiker

100 kW
Inspired by the "What did you do to your bike today" thread and DeeJay's various food threads. I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated place to post photos of your various culinary creations. But please no Burritos made for a man okay? :mrgreen:

I'll start off with a few recent things I've done.

This was the meal for Valentine's Day. Texas chili and waffles. My waffle had ham in it too. It was an odd combination but tasted really good.

View attachment 2

Last night I decided to try out a wok I picked up for free at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago. It worked great. Fantastic dinner last night and a good lunch with leftovers today!

wok2.jpg

Today I baked up a loaf of banana bread.

bread.jpg

It's been more than a couple weeks, and the stew is long gone in my tummy, but this is what I fixed for beef-veggie stew:

I already ate what I fixed today, and I'm not up to swallowing the camera to get a pic of it now. ;)

I may end up making more chili for the rest of this week, and I'll try to get pics of that if I do.

Last nights dinner was a king-size bag of Doritos. Ended up puking them up around 4am this morning, and I was glad I did. That stuff is awful, I just didn't want to quit my project long enough to find other food, and it was next to me and would stop my growling stomach.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner saturday was cookies. Yes, cookies and just cookies.

This helped me to realize I need to split my personal efforts between 99% doing amazing things 1% doing normal things (eating food, showers, making it to the bed rather than falling asleep with the soldering iron etc.)

So, I made decent people food tonight, and even ate off a plate. It felt a little foreign, but I think my body is thankful.

Asparagus, shataki mushies, and squash sauteed and mixed up in scrambled eggs with cheese, and an orange.

20120219_204028.jpg

No pics of it, I'm a carnivore so I smoked a pork shoulder saturday. The dogs think I'm some kind of God.

Last friday I made my killer pizza :D we once had an intern from Puglia (the heel of
the boot that is Italy) and she gave me her families pizza recipe. I am proud to say I've
never bought a pizza in the 10 yrs since.. Same goes for lasagna.
Saturday I made my favorite US junkfood, General Tso's spicy chicken. I tried a new
recipe but found it a bit too chemical tasting...
Today I baked oatmeal cinnamon cookies with chocolate chips...

Surprised nobody's posted "My controller" yet.

I just cooked bacon and eggs, one of life's simple pleasures.

I cooked Meatloaf with bacon wrapped using my BBQ smoker and Tri-tip steak in BBQ smoker too. YUMMMMY

Attachments

• meatloaf-withbaconwrapped.jpg
    meatloaf-withbaconwrapped.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 8,329
Nah, I can use the leftover meatloaf sandwich for lunch or snack. 8)

I got recipe from

[youtube]t1IiUAtoNBk[/youtube]

Lebowski said:
that's edible ? :shock:

Nothing yet today but I think it's time for another bucket of chili.
I usually cook once a week and then reheat the leftovers. There's about four different dishes I do like that.
Some days I only snack on cheese and fruit or buy a prepared pasta dish.

Here's a couple images of earlier culinary endeavors.
peasoup.jpg
stew1.jpg
stew2.jpg

Just finished cooking the BBQ chicken. YUMMMMMMY!

Attachments

• Roasted Chicken.jpg
    Roasted Chicken.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 2,398
I'm seeing some nice dishes up in here! :shock:

Sopas!

No no, not that piracy bill, it's Chicken Macaroni Soup :lol:
SOPA.jpg
Diced chicken dark meat or white or combo
carrot diced or julien
elbo macaroni
minced garlic
sliced oinion
water
chicken bulion
edit: a little milk
salt and pepper
fishsauce

cook garlic
add and stirfry onions and carrots
add and stirfry chicken
add water and a bulion and macaroni, some salt and pepper to taste
edit:add milk and simmer till macaroni is slighly over cooked
done.

some fishsauce to adjust saltiness at the table. Personally like it super peppery.

You cannot go wrong with this easy and tasty dish. great comfort food for harsh winter that's been kickin my ass..made a big pot over the weekend and it's sold out as of today

:burp:

I used to work in several different kitchens, cooking was easier when I had two hands to work with. Tonight I will post what I did.I nuked a fowl, and a dew, or two. 8)
Dinner221.jpg

Brian L.

Hmm, maybe I'm going to start taking pictures.

Last night made some wild rice and ('made') frozen vegetables in my one pot (it's a sweet enamel dutch oven). Would be nice to have fresh vegetables but never know when I'll really get to use them, unless I buy on the weekend. Only half eat at my apartment, half on campus.

As for LFPs Dorito dinner, that's every time I am late on a compsci project and eat from the vending machines outside of the computer lab. Far too notorious of a position to be in (everyone has done that at some point, so much that the vending machine is known for depressing dinners).

New York steak on the bone. (the way I like it) Seasoned and BBQ'd until seared on the outside, and rare in the center.

20120220_192616.jpg

20120220_195519.jpg

liveforphysics said:
New York steak on the bone. (the way I like it) Seasoned and BBQ'd until seared on the outside, and rare in the center.

20120220_192616.jpg

20120220_195519.jpg

Benihana flash back! :shock:

Ok, you kids and your cookie talk made me hungry for them the other night, so I had to make some. They are:
2cups oatmeal
2cups wheat flour
1/4cup brown sugar (I ran out)
1 cup white sugar
1/2cup dark chocolate chips
1tbsp almond-roca flavoring liquid (I forget where this was saved from)
1/4cup coconut milk
3 whole eggs
pinch of salt
pinch of baking powder
pinch of cinnamon
1/3cup margarine (can't afford butter, but have almost 50lbs of margarine)

preheat oven to 350F (i use a toaster oven so I can also use it to heat the rooms I'm in while doing it, instead of the kitchen...plus my RC LiPo is in the oven for safe-keeping :lol:)

mix all dry stuff together
beat everything else together separate from dry stuff; I do it all by hand in the bowl I use to mix all the ingredients into to prevent waste of anything.
Add dry to non-dry, mixing as you go

Spoon onto recycled al pie tin as tbsp sized globs at most, and bake on bottom rack at 350F for about 15-20 minutes, until edges brown and rest changes kinda golden brown, depending on your preference for crunchy or soft.

Each tin in toaster oven only holds maybe 5 cookies, so it takes a while to cook them all. Much faster in a regular oven where you can do a couple dozen at once. If you don't mind "sheets" of cookie you can just cover the bottom of the tin with cookie dough instead, and it'll take less than half the time total, but about 5 minutes mroe to bake each group.

These would definitely taste better with butter instead of margarine, but they're still really good. :)

DSC06107.JPG

DSC06109.JPG

Then tonite another batch of chili. It's still cooking right now, and my tummy is nibbling on my kidneys while it waits, cuz it smells nummy.

This batch is as usual different from the previous ones, as the ingredients I have available are different:
1/2 bag of pinto beans (~8oz)
1/2 bag of kidney beans ""
2 yellow onions, diced
1 whole garlic, peeled and diced
1/2 bag of frozen mixed veggies (~16oz, of carrots, lima beans, green beans, peas, corn) cuz I don't have any other veggies ATM.
1/4 can (restaurant sized, about 6lbs total of which I used about 1.5lbs) of tomatoes in their own juices.
2lbs or so of hamburger (in this case, pre-made pattys originally intended for Wendy's, broken up into little bits to cook more evenly in the chili).
Flavor packets from 2 packs of Maruchan Picante Chicken style
4 packets of Pizza Hut crushed dried chili pepper flakes leftover from other people at work ordering pizza for lunch
1tsp Mccormick "5-pepper blend" found on deep clearance some while back (so I got all they had)
1tsp paprika
1/2tsp black pepper

pre-soak beans with 1/2 tsp baking soda and a few cups of water for several hours. I do this with it on lowest heat setting to speed things up a little, while I'm home, then shut it off when I leave for work.

Rinse beans and refill with 3 cups water

add onions, veggies, spices, garlic, boil for an hour or so.

add everything else and stir as you add it in. turn down to medium or lower, adding water as needed to keep it soupy for now.

Turn down to low plus one or so after it's all stirred up, and cover. cook like this for a few hours more. Longer you cook it at lower settings the better it'll be. :)

Sometiems I can't wait and I'll cook it faster than I should, so it isn't as good. But if you recook it slowly later it can improve!

DSC06110.JPG

DSC06111.JPG

There will be pics of it completed after a while, when it's cooked more and I go snag a bowl. :)

I am making a Pepper Pot Stew:

We still have this lingering cold at night and I can feel it creeping along the floor. Don’t likes that, so I am making a special heater of a stew. No pics – just use your imagination.

Started last night with 1.84 pounds of smoked pork shank; the bit that is typically used to make homemade pork n’ beans. Combined with 2.25 pounds of pork neck together into a stock pot and filled it 2/3’s full of water and boiled for 2-3 hours for deboning. This morning I completed the deboning part and pulled out the cartilage and loose fatty bits. Added more water and placed it into the fridge so the remaining fat will rise and congeal. I like some fat for flavor but too much is too rich.

Also started last night was the soak of about ½ pound of black-eyed peas. I will probably cook these separate before adding to the stock. Starting a few years ago, beans of any sort just hit me hard. I’ve read that cooking them in acidic concoctions inhibits the reasons for cooking which is to break down the complex starches into simpler forms that the body can digest. I’ve not tried cooking beans separate before but it sounds reasonable considering what I aim to do with the pot.

With the meat nearly ready to go, the rest of the bill will go like this:

• Peppers – Green Bell (sweet, 2x), Anaheim (mild round heat, 1x), Serrano (spicy Tex-Mex heat, 1x). Also augmenting is Fresh Black Pepper (whole and cracked) and Red Chili flakes. Lots of heat of various types to warm my bones.
  • Squash – Yellow crooked neck and Zucchini, 1 each.
  • Carrots
  • White Walla Walla Onion, 1x
  • Parsley bunch
  • Broccoli head
  • Fresh garlic cloves
  • Option: Stewed tomatoes, 2 large cans

Years ago I tried to make a pork-stewed tomatoes-pepper pot with beans in a crock-pot, but it didn’t turn out at all and seamed instead bent on fermenting. Now that I know a bit more what acid does to beans I am not surprised.

So if I add the stewed tomatoes, it will be at the end when the beans go in. It’s been a while since I cooked with Serrano, though never a Serrano and Anaheim pepper at the same time before; however I enjoy one by itself in a pot.

Looking forward to kettling-up this rib-sticker grub. Hmmm, now I’m thinking I should bake some cornbread to go with it! :)
~KF

Kingfish said:
I’ve read that cooking them in acidic concoctions inhibits the reasons for cooking which is to break down the complex starches into simpler forms that the body can digest.
Supposedly that's also what some baking soda added to them when cooking will help do, too. It does appear to make at least a difference in softening the shells of various beans, making them cook better (especially pinto and black beans). The longer I cook them on lower heat, the better it seems to work.

amberwolf said:
Kingfish said:
I’ve read that cooking them in acidic concoctions inhibits the reasons for cooking which is to break down the complex starches into simpler forms that the body can digest.
Supposedly that's also what some baking soda added to them when cooking will help do, too. It does appear to make at least a difference in softening the shells of various beans, making them cook better (especially pinto and black beans). The longer I cook them on lower heat, the better it seems to work.
My chili beans are cooked in lots of tomato so it takes around six hours and then is even better the next day.
I'll freeze about half of it so having the beans not get too mushy works better.

Today I finally got around to shopping for chili.
Today's batch is two lbs. of meat and two lbs. of beans. That makes about eight hearty servings.
I've a few friends who happily eat my chili.

Brown the local, grass fed, non-medicated, lean ground beast with the onions in olive oil.
Add it to the pot of washed beans and water, spices and one can each of low sodium, diced, crushed and strained tomatoes.
Put in the Bell peppers, celery and cilantro.
Spices not shown in the pic: cayenne, chili powder, cumin, cardamom, fennel, whole black pepper.

Cook it covered until the beans don't crunch.
Then chop half of head of garlic and the can of chilpotle peppers.
Mix them in and leave it all slowly simmering on low heat, uncovered, stirring frequently to drive off the excess water.
chli1.jpg

Back