Coffee Before or After breakfast ?

Do you drink coffee before, during, or after breakfast ?

• Before

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • During

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • After

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • All of the above

Votes: 46 43.4%
  • I don't drink coffee

Votes: 12 11.3%

• Total voters
I have an espresso machine, so I often take a latte with me to work. Or have a decaf latte when I come home.

Voted both "before & during", 'hope that's cool?

For whatever reason 'just never feel much like coffee after breakfast.

You have to be an old fart like me to understand the essential function of coffee is to wake up the bowels. My morning ritual is coffee, then a visit to the porcelain altar for morning homage and prayers to the gods of the deep that they deliver a great sacred turd to the waters below. Happy, I remain for the day and pray the gods are not too beneficent in their granting of their favors to this poor servant.

Coffee anytime as long as it's not contaminated with milk-cream, sugar, other stuff.

Coffee went away with the alcohol and tobacco when the first daughter was born 35+ years back. Never had a a cup of coffee without a cigarette so they just went at the same time. Yup coffee and cigarettes for breakfast I remember it well. Addictions are dwindling, over the years, but not to worry I still have a couple I hold dear. Nice that are so many here I can share them with. :D

I've been trying to create a new daily routine, and find a " work at home diet " , that i like, and is decent...

For the last, few months, i've been having a big glass of water when i get up, followed by a Yop drinkable yogurt, until i paid attention and realized a Yop has 24 grams of sugar....

So now i'm having an Apple or 2 in the morning ( usually around 9 am ) .. with my water..

Then coffee, i always kept off the coffee before eating, this morning, i googled it and found a bunch of into about the subject........

I love coffee, black, no cream, no milk, no sugar... a quad espresso is even better... but i do not have a quality espresso machine yet.

Yeah, my coffee comes from a Keurig machine, K cups, Midnight Magic is my preference.. very dark roast.

When i eat breakfast from restaurants, i always get coffee before my meal, but at home i have thge choice..

Looks like i should eat , then have coffee..

I want to get myself one of these Presso machined

http://www.outbackcrossing.com.au/Cooking/Presso_Coffee_Maker_Revisited.shtml

I have seen other travel expresso machines but they often need coffee pods or similar.

This can be used with any ground coffee

Straight after my first smoke.

I lied. I don't do either.

Many people with bad joint's have 6+ cups a day. So I quit. My joints got better. I have to drink tea though. It's was a real sacrifice at first, but years on it's been worth it.

I am trying to cut my coffee down. I am now taking a day or 2 off a week, and the other days I try to have less then before.
I read if you drink 1-3 cups a day you are ~30% less likely for colon cancer of the worst time and 6 cups you are 60% less likely.
I also read If you drink more then 4 cups a day and you are less then 55 years old you have a chance of a shorter life....
I try for 1-2 cups a day and a day or two off a week. I also need to have it in the morning because it helps me go #2 and I have not found anything else that can do that for me.

I also found I love Serious Coffee a local coffee franchise here on the island and I love their mochas but a large is 4 shots of espresso and they say there is more caffeine in a shot then a cup of coffee and the last time I had a large was after a day off from coffee and a good sleep this proceeded to kick my ass. I found by lunch time my jugular in my neck felt like it was pumping at 200psi and I was so wired I barely slept that night. So.... No more 4 shot larges.... lol
Be careful to much is not good but chances are you are drinking weak coffee if you are having lots of cups. :)

I have a Cuisinart semi-auto espresso machine. I was going to get a nicer one with an open basket, but you know what?

The ONLY thing that matters in regards to the quality of the espresso, is the temperature, pressure, rate and duration of extraction. Semi-auto's take the latter 2 out of the equation. And any machine nowadays has the right temp/pressure... Ours has been great for use several times a week, 2.5 years.

I have had various of those types of machines in the past, but they never last so long. Hard water area and the need to de-scale them all the time..boilers nearly always give up, or the steam / water pipes clog.
That is why I like the look of the little presso Wild machine.

http://www.amazon.com/Handpresso-Wild-Hybrid-Coffee-Machine/dp/B007KG5IYK/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1381041338&sr=1-3&keywords=handpresso

You heat the water separately, fill the chamber, and add either a coffee pod, or your own coffee, pump up to the line on the gauge and press the go button.
A little bit of a fiddle I agree, but no battery or electric so i take it with me walking/ hiking/ car journeys etc...even to hotels..then you jsut have to boil some water and you are ready to go.

Bigger but simpler and less to go wrong:

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/coffee-unplugged-presso-espresso-maker

For ultimate show but total inconvenience how about this one:

[youtube]YfHp2I1m_wg[/youtube]

I started roasting beans with a friend about a year ago... still have my volcano roaster to finish making... somewhere about 5 months ago, started getting some pretty disruptive heart rhythms. Wife finally got me to go to the cardiologist. He asked how much coffee I was drinking. I answered with about 8 16 oz tumblers, and he laughed with "Are you crazy? No, no absolutely too much!"

I replied with, "Are you saying I have to cut it all out?" He said, "No, one reasonable sized cup is OK."

So my solution was:
bigCoffeeCup.jpg

Too funny, BM. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 3 or so mugs a day is what we usually do. Then, plenty of lemonade, orange juice, etc., whatever fruit is available. Water as needed, depending on how much sweat is produced.

In the morning, before getting out of bed,I get about 140 beats per minute, until I take notice, then they subside to normal. BP runs 120/70 +/- a couple of points.

Interesting results.

What got me started with this....

Since i've been home from my old 8am to 4pm mon-fri job, i've started getting my diet, mind, and life in order.... for the last 16 years i've been running like a chicken with it's head cut off.. taking sleep aids and drinking to get to sleep, force myself up in the morning and go to a job that i hated, eat like crap during 15 minute breaks with fat and salt snack foods.. etc etc etc......

Nowadays i go to bed when i'm tired, i get up when i'm awake, when i feel like it, eat when i'm hungry and have started put together an exercise routine...... going off topic,

I've been making a habit of drinking a big glass of water first thing in the morning, then have some fruit ( an apple, grapes, yogurt, etc. ) .. and then get into the coffee... i LOVE COFFEE.....

As others have posted above, it gets the bowels moving, a good thing, so after pressing " power On " on the keurig, i hit up google and asked the question of this poll... turns out.. we should be eating food in the morning Before drinking coffee for various reasons.

Yet, anytime i go to a restaurant for breakfast, the first thing one does is start with a coffee while waiting for food..

Hnmm.

My wife just bought one of those Kuerig machines. I was kind of opposed to it, since my french press is more than sufficient, but I have to say I have been on a binge for weeks now. I have to go decaf or something...It's a little out of control.

NeilP said:
I have had various of those types of machines in the past, but they never last so long. Hard water area and the need to de-scale them all the time..boilers nearly always give up, or the steam / water pipes clog.

I always use bottled water with a ph above 7. I actually drink from a spring below the reservoir. Similar ph but the finer particles form more of a sludge that washes away, than a shale that sets solid. I have looked at the analysis of both, and they are about the same. Mine is slow filtered picking up natural deposits though, . The tap water carries more surface contaminates and has nasty additives. Some just to steralise the pond water, some for mass medication.

You can buy 2l of table water for 17p in the big supermarkets on the mainland. That is thought to be tap water run through an r.o filter then sorted out with some appropriate salts for taste. Unless you go to sainsburys as they appear to be selling the waste from the r.o machine, not the product.
Avoid water with a ph below 7. It would be illegal from your tap, but comes in bottles. It is acidic water than leaches from it's suroundings, giving all bottled water a bad name. Water is one of our few alkaline intakes, and if I drink acidic water for a couple of days I know about it. Urine Ph drops and I get a bad head as my blood ph gets silly. Thus I won't drink water sourced from soft areas such as scotland or the west country. Even washing in that can cause skin conditions such as exma(even my spell check can't resolve that one) to flare up.

If your water is very hard, your brew simply is not right. You can forget the rest, just think about your brew. If your going out of your way to make a nice drink, you want water that can be used as a solvent. Hard water is pretty used up, and carries impurities. Ph neutral water is often thought to taste sweet compared to acidic or alkaline water. Good water is nice and will let your coffee beans release the flavour they should do.

If I want to drink yorkshire tea and have it taste like yorkshire tea, I have to buy the hard water variety made to target areas like mine. If I want my washing as clean, I must use 50% more detergent. It is 100 miles away and we both think our water is right. We are both wrong and can't produce a coffee that tastes like it was intended, without using the same water as it is the main ingredient. Not the coffee.

Lots of people use table top filter jugs. They don't lower salt content. They have carbon to lock up some stuff, but also some white granular stuff for ion exchange. They make water taste better, but it is not that much cleaner. It won't make a proper brew. It will reduce the taste of chlorine products in the water for a few days though. If you can actually taste them. Which is unlikely if you drink tap water all day long, It will just seem normal. Most people only notice it occasionally when there mains are flushed following works. If you stop drinking it, even having a shower can be unpleasant. Water additives stink. Once on bottled water you could never go back. People just don't realise what they are being fed.

Just far too long.... far far too long. But no time to trim it.... 'post'

Coffee before and during breakfast, wine for lunch and dinner. LOL
8)
Although, I did have a cup of coffee last night, which is extremely rare for me as I find that coffee really upsets my sleep patterns if I consume before bed....

Over the last year I have replaced either no breakfast or something not so good for me with a bottle of ensure as my first meal.
This helps keep me from being hungry come lunch time and also get my body used to something in the morning.
Adding that to my routine has been one of the best things I have done in years. Also takes seconds to eat breakfast which is also
nice :)

So yea i selected all hte above.. whenever I can get my hands on some coffee.

Back