Milk Alternatives

markz

100 TW
I like Almond chocolate milk and Soy chocolate milk, but then sometimes I buy the regular Almond/Soy stuff that is unsweetened and mix that in as well. Sometimes it gives a weird taste, but it depends on the ratio.

I figured out that it takes about 1 pound of almonds to make 1/2 gallon. Making it yourself from 'live' almonds is supposed to retain some of the nutrients that get killed during pasteurization, but makes for a short storage time in the fridge.

My sister used to have an a_mond orchard, but switched to olives because of the drought. They call them a_monds because when harvesting they shake the "L" out of them by a machine that grabs the tree trunk and vibrates the whole tree causing the nuts to fall to the ground where they are sucked up by a large vacuum. A very noisy and dusty process.
For me almond milk and soy milk are ok once in a while if consumed ice cold, but I prefer the the taste of the organic whole milk sold in stores today. It 's flavor is similar to the regular milk of 50 years ago, but nothing tastes as good as the Golden Guernsey milk we had delivered to our door by the milkman when we were kids. :D
http://usguernsey.com/golden-guernsey-dairy-products/

and nature did not intend humans to nurse milk from a cow :roll:
and not over age 2

Matt Gruber said:
and nature did not intend humans to nurse milk from a cow :roll:
and not over age 2

The fact that human beings have been thriving on it for thousands of years is just a coincidence, I guess. Of course you understand things better than billions of people for thousands of years.

Milk from a cow is a great emergency food, i'll grant you that. Many women that were unable to breast feed, saved the life of their baby by substituting milk from a cow. :bigthumb:
What is your excuse for drinking it? Everybody is perverted, so "i'm a pervert too"
is not an excuse. And before you get excited, i drank it too, until a year ago when i discovered dairy products were a major source of my health problems. For instance, in the past year that i have avoided all dairy, i have had diarrhea only ONCE :shock: ( Was 1 or 2x every month before)
AND now, i no longer need an ebike, my legs do the job just fine 8)
My excuse is that as a child, i was duped into drinking milk from a cow, by clever marketing :oops: (had it in school for lunch at a cheap price, like 2 cents and was told it was necessary for strong bones and teeth). BUT i recently found out by reviewing many studies, that the more milk you drink, the MORE likely you break a bone as you age. :shock: So i quit all dairy. 8) i get plenty of calcium from greens 8) (which is where a cow gets it)
Dr Bernard explains : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3c_D0s391Q&t=50s

People whose ancestors drank cows' milk for thousands of years have developed a tolerance for it - they can thrive on it. People whose ancestors did not do about as well on cow's milk as you'd expect for one species drinking the milk of another completely different species. It doesn't kill them. Sometimes it negatively affects their health, sometimes they have no trouble drinking it in moderation. The real question is "Why keep doing it?" when there are healthier alternatives.

Typically I wouldn't restart a thread that's been dormant for a month and a half, but I do have something to add that might help.

If you have cystic acne like me- or probably just acne problems in general- don't drink dairy milk. Per a dermatologist I (sadly) blew off back when I was 17 milk is chock-full of inflammatory markers, and lactose is a simple sugar that's easily used by other things in the body. No shit, I stopped a month ago and I get a quarter of the acne I used to, and the redness is FAR less which has let me shave more frequently. I still have a little half and half and cottage cheese at night- so just try to replace the liquid stuff and you might be surprised.

these 2 cute girls cured acne with diet. under 7% fat. While i never had acne, i often had 2 or 3 pimples and i tried their advice, and to my :shock: it also cured about 80% of my health problems 8) see sig.
https://www.forksoverknives.com/wellness/the-best-diet-for-acne-a-qa-with-nina-and-randa-nelson-co-authors-of-the-clear-skin-diet/

I'd believe it! Family of mine currently have to eat a low-inflammation diet and it sounds pretty similar. Sadly they went the Accutane route, and there's REASONS why hordes of doctors aren't prescribing it anymore. Shit is vile.

Accutane is horrific. it's not unlike finasteride... you will look better.. but you have a high risk for permanent body injury.. a majority of people who use these drugs will say that it was not worth it at all. I honestly wonder how these products are still on the market at all.

Keto cured me and my wife of ~90% of our acne. She used to have this horrible cystic acne that scarred up her beautiful face. I just had pimples all over. We also both started using moisturizer on our faces every day, and changing the pillow covers more often. With these 3 tricks, acne has gone from a daily issue, to something that's super rare.

Back to milk... i don't consume it whatsoever.. modern milk is basically sugar water since they've stolen the healthy fats and vitamins from it. No need for an alternative.

neptronix said:
Accutane is horrific. it's not unlike finasteride... you will look better.. but you have a high risk for permanent body injury.. a majority of people who use these drugs will say that it was not worth it at all. I honestly wonder how these products are still on the market at all.

During the last class-action suite they were apart of, the number of side affects ballooned to such a huge list the judge refused to hear the case until it became more cohesive; I remember their problems ranged from digestive (up to intestinal resection), neurological, hepatic, to skin/integmeuntary.

neptronix said:
Back to milk... i don't consume it whatsoever.. modern milk is basically sugar water since they've stolen the healthy fats and vitamins from it. No need for an alternative.

Speaking as a guy who made his money partly from the dairy industry, I agree. 1 and 2% milk is crap. they took out the good stuff and added sugar. I just stick to moderate amounts of cheese and forgo milk.

I haven't gotten around to trying oat milk yet, but the sustainability argument is a good one.

https://fitjoyfoods.com/blogs/life-of-joy/the-pros-and-cons-of-drinking-oat-milk

Cons:
1. Sugar

Most oat milks contain sugar, both added and natural. Because there aren't yet a lot of brands to choose from, it can be hard to find an option that isn't sweetened, which is why you might want to opt for a different plant-based creamer instead.
2. May contain gluten

Although oats themselves are naturally gluten-free, a lot of oats have been processed on shared equipment that's been contaminated with gluten. As a result, if the oats used for oat milk aren't certified gluten-free, neither is your oat milk. And if you're avoiding or limiting the amount of grain you consume for autoimmune conditions or other reasons, avoid oat milk, as it could trigger inflammation.
3. Most contain canola oil

Who would have thought that the innocent-sounding oat milk could contain so many offenders? But look on the ingredients list, and you'll find that most oat milk contains significant amounts of canola or rapeseed oil, which can be highly inflammatory and is also likely to contain GMOs, as many canola oils are genetically modified and super processed.
4. Most contain pesticides

The USDA Pesticide Data Program found pesticide residue from 3 different kinds of pesticides on oats (see here for the toxicity data). Yuck! That includes pesticides that are known or probable carcinogens, suspected hormone disruptors, neurotoxins, and toxins that could impact reproduction. Also included are pesticides that are toxic to honeybees—no bueno for the environment!
5. Not much nutritional value

Oat milk doesn't have the abundant calcium that dairy milk does, and what's more, most of the nutritional value from the whole oats do not make it to the final product. Some commercial brands will add vitamins and minerals back in after the fact, but that's something you can't do if, say, you're making it at home.
6. More calories

If you're watching your calories, know that even unsweetened oat milk has way more per cup (about 120-130) than unsweetened almond (40), coconut (50), skim (80), soy (80) or even rice milk (120).
7. More expensive

A gallon container of oat milk can be almost double the price of a gallon of almond milk at some retailers! That's quite an investment for an ingredient that usually just gets mixed into something else.

So there you have it, the pros and cons of drinking that oat milk your barista is currently frothing. It's delicious and creamy but has some negatives just like all the other options. For those of you who are gluten-free: Try making your own oat milk at home using organic oats that are certified gluten-free. And if you’re cutting your grains in general, opt for another sustainable variety, such as coconut milk.

Canola oil got a bad rep 20 years ago from an internet smear campaign with little basis in reality. Organic canola oil is not bad for you, and it's a good oil for frying. Non-organic canola oil, like so many things grown in the US now, may be GMO. You want a cooking oil horror story? Cottonseed oil. Cotton in never grown for food, so it's usually heavily laced with pesticides, and so are the seeds. Organic cotton seeds would probably be ok, but you never see those as an ingredient in food. Nonetheless, cottonseed oil is a common ingredient in snack foods. Given a choice between eating something with non-organic canola oil and non-organic (which is all of it) cottonseed oil, I'd take the canola oil every time. I try to buy products with organic oils, but I definitely avoid buying anything with cottonseed oil.

i use canola oil anytime i want to gain weight. if 5 meals a day isn't enough calories, i add 1 tablespoon on 1 meal. did that for 6 mos, gained 3 lbs. so now, no more!
the term "empty calories" to me, means oil. no nutrition, just calories :twisted:

Back