(randombikeparts.com) crankset designed with fake hex bolts to hide the fact that it's riveted

When you look at this crankset, it looks as if there is a hex or torx bolt attaching the crank arm to the sprocket, as if to suggest that it's not riveted so you can replace the sprockets individually as they wear out:
366885_1024x1024.jpg

but that's not the case. If you have a meticulous eye, you can see that the hex bolts are too shallow to fit a tool and on the bottomside the rivets have no slot for a chainring tool.

I was fooled. I asked Random Bike Parts what the BCD was before ordering. They ignored the question. So I figured: whatever the BCD is, I'll deal with it when it's time to replace the cogs. But when the thing arrived, it was quite clear that the sprockets are riveted together so when one of them wears out, the whole crankset must be scrapped together. I'm annoyed by the wastefulness of it. I suppose I could grind the rivets off with an angle grinder, but it seems as if the BCD is quite rare anyway (102mm by my measurements on the crankset I ordered, which differs from the pictured one).

I can't really beat the merchant up too much.. their only offense was non-disclosure of the rivets in the ad, and then not answering my question. But I must say it's quite sneaky of the manufacturer to use rivets that fake the appearance of bolts to deceive buyers. If I were on Reddit, I'd file this under r/assholedesign.

larsb said:
couldn't you drill them out? could be a possibility if the BCD is std on the rivets

noviceBuilder said:
I suppose I could grind the rivets off with an angle grinder, but it seems as if the BCD is quite rare anyway (102mm by my measurements on the crankset I ordered, which differs from the pictured one).

Back