Thinking of adding home security to protect your bikes? Avoid Anker's Eufy Security products

HK12K

100 kW
I have a eufy battery video doorbell, a handfull of their battery cameras, a homebase 1, homebase 2 and an indoor ptz cam. I was going to go all-in on their ecosystem but after using the products for a while that is no longer likely to happen.

This is probably the most buggy unreliable overpriced under-performing line of “security" products available. I could sit here all day and give you an itemized list of reasons, but just take my word for it and buy something else. At the very least spend a few days reading the endless complaints from users on the eufy forums and know that most every claim eufy security makes in their sales literature is a misrepresentation and should be taken with a grain of salt.

To give you an idea of what I mean...

Despite them selling us on the system having local storage and not relying on the cloud the entire security ecosystem is run through their servers. When their servers go down (and they do) you’re unable to access any of your footage even if you’re on the same lan as the cameras. If they go under or pull the plug you have a lot of expensive paperweights.

Also...

Their claimed runtime between recharges is basically a bold faced lie if you actually plan to use the products. Motion detection is a.d.d.. Activity and ignore zones are largely broken. No 2fa unless you’re in Canada or Germany (and good luck buying the security lineup in Canada). Says it supports up to 16 cams but pukes and dies when much more than 1 thing is happening at a time with only 4 connected. (And will lose recorded events as a result) Scheduling and geofencing are basically broken. It constantly misses obvious events but is forever notifying of things it shouldn’t. It detects cats as humans. It detects people as pets (ok, kind of hilarious when the indoor cam thinks my wife is the cat and the camera plays a recording that says “Who’s a good kitty?” but still.)

Did I mention that even while ‘turned off” in the Eufy security app their indoor cameras are constantly communicating with a variety of servers on a minute by minute basis. Not just for dns and firmware checks either... Circle shows them as IP’s for steam, facetime, minecraft, etc. No idea what it’s doing but it probably shouldn't be doing it when off. (I put it on a smart plug and power it down when I'm home)

...I’m just getting warmed up. I could go on

Look elsewhere. Seriously. At least until they do a 180 and get their shit together, which by the look of things won't be happening any time soon. :lowbatt:

Just a heads up.

i hacked your cameras and have alot of embarrassing footage of you and your wife :shock: ill trade you my footage of you and your wife for your bike. sound like a deal :D

If it's still around, you might look into a regular local PC running Gotcha, with regular wired or wifi cameras connected to it locally. Wired will be more secure, as no one can hack that, if you have the system isolated from the internet and your other LAN(s). If you need access to the stuff remotely, you can setup a firewall system between it and your LAN that has internet access.

It probably wont' have the same features as the system you've got, but it should be reliable.

I haven't used Gotcha in more than a decade, but it's probably grown and gotten even better than when we used it for store security back then.

EDIT: I dont' see any active software for them anymore, but it looks like the ilte and pro versions are still archived here:
https://developers.soft112.com/eagle-nest.html

Back