Very Surprising Interaction with Lyen the vendor on this site

Odogster

10 W
Hello,

Here are the sentences that started one of the most interesting yet poorest sales interactions I've ever had:

I happen to live in the Bay Area as well and think I want to buy one of these from you. Is there anyway we could have a short discussion so I can get a few details about controller?

If your still interested here is a link to the entire email thread.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ucp.php?i=pm&p=541151

And here is my final response:
Those are some sales tactics you have there. I am not sure why you seem to have an issue with me but you have been rude and evasive to a potential customer who wanted to buy something, who is also local to you, and who was still polite until the fourth snide remark you made. So according to you, you have no idea at all how any of your products stack up against your competition like you said here, "I have not compared with any of other controllers."

Then you condescendingly told me that "The controller has no moving parts. Therefore, it is impossible to measure the torque from the controller.", then said "The torque should be measured via the motor and not the controler." Still refusing to answer my question, which you obviously knew what it was. A So allow
me to give you a few quick business lessons only because I want to further progress in this industry and it seems you might actually have a product that can do that.
1) Never alienate a potential customer. This rule is even amplified when the customer wants to buy your product.
2) Go out of your way to answer a customer's question. Again, this rule goes even more when the customer contacts you to buy something
3) It is so easy to misinterpret things thru email or messaging so I went out of my way to be extra polite to you but you weren't having it. So this rule is no matter you feel about someone in a business deal situation you need to put your personal feelings aside and maintain professionalism
I'm gonna stop there because you can take some time
With those they are worth the effort and you have a long way to go. I do not know if you know me, maybe you met my ex wife but for some reason you decided I was gonna be the guy you were gonna treat poorly as a customer. I was going to offer you some help on your website, free of charge, because the one you have now shows your marketing prowess to be on par with your sales skills. I just did the same thing for s v electric bicycles in Santa Clara and I set their site up for nothing but to further the evolution of what this hobby that we all love doing. I feel that I owe it to the electric community to see who they are dealing with.

Cannot link to PMs

Disclosing private convos without permission is very bad netiquette anyway.

Lyen's work is hugely respected here, even if he gas not moved on to FOC or even sine wave controllers, those old trap style do work very well for motors suited to them.

Many such "vendors" are not really business people, not marketing or even trying to get more business.

Some customers are not worth having, just like some businesses are trouble to deal with.

@Bal Agreed, some customers are not worth having, but i am not and have never been one of them. Did you read the thread? I went out of my way to be kind and polite but was met with sarcasm and mean comments. I live about 10 minutes from him and had cash in hand but for some reason he was a complete ass hole and for that i could care less who respects him and who doesnt. I was dealing from my own experience, which still confuses me as to why someone would treat a customer they dont know so poorly.

Odogster said:
If your still interested here is a link to the entire email thread.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ucp.php?i=pm&p=541151

Only you can access that link, no one else can.

If you want others to read those you must copy and paste them into a post here in this thread, but as previously noted in this thread, it's generally poor netiquette to post private messages (at least those you received from others) unless you've received permission.

But you can still post your own side of the conversation.

FWIW, Lyen has over time, more than once asked moderators to remove posts about his products that weren't entirely positive. (AFAIK, the requests were not honored).

john61ct said:
Cannot link to PMs

Disclosing private convos without permission is very bad netiquette anyway.

Lyen's work is hugely respected here, even if he gas not moved on to FOC or even sine wave controllers, those old trap style do work very well for motors suited to them.

Many such "vendors" are not really business people, not marketing or even trying to get more business.

I hear you on the quoting, that’s why for the most part I paraphrased. At this point it’s been a while I had even forgot about it for the most part. I usually would of just brushed it off but it was a really odd situation and I kept trying to take the higher road. Don’t know why but he wanted to argue more than help a customer.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Lyen. From what i have seen, he has been an excellent vendor to us. It sounds to me like you two had a personality conflict. In that case, i hope you find another vendor that can fulfill your needs. If not, put up a for sale - wanted ad for these infineon clone EB3 controllers. I have a few lying around and i bet lots of members have them sitting in their garages too. Won't be hard to find one for cheap at this point. I have 3 of them here myself which i am not using.

I'm glad you didn't actually post private messages. That's a massive no-no on this forum.

I love it when guys (who should be going to the counter at specialized... ) Contact a vendor like Lyen (most likely because they heard he has powerful stuff for cheap) and get all huffy.

Lol

The extent of your business interaction with Lyen should go like this

* Hey do you have this (model)
* Yes (he answers)
* Ok I am Paypaling you now, thanks

Lol

-methods

Edward keeps it simple and doesn’t hold hands. It’s best to do your homework and follow Method's method. Supercilious questions are just time wasters.

Back