Ansbern ebikes

Rykmann

1 µW
I purchased a ASB-EB-31 from the Suzhou Ansbern Sports Co., Ltd.
Bafang G510 Ultra Max Mid Motor 1000W
48V 17ah Samsun Cell
Gates CDX Belt
Sturmey-Archer RSX-RK5 5 speed internal gear hub. (IGH)
BE WARNED: STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!
Here’s why.
When my bike eventually arrived 12 weeks late the first thing I noticed was that the RST Renegade front fork was damaged. I contacted Tony Wong from Suzhou Ansbern who kept saying that they will speak to their “engineer”. Nothing happened. I eventually sourced spare parts from RST Germany. I repaired the fork and on the first test ride noticed that all was not right with my Sturmey-Archer IGH. Sturmey Archer RSX RK5 noise
After multiple futile attempts to contact Suzhou Ansbern I contacted Sunrace USA. Their technical person said that Sturmey Archer gears are not designed for mid motors therefore any damage falls outside their warranty.
I thought that I was saving money by “going direct” but honestly, it’s been heartache since day 1. My suggestion is – do yourself a favour, pay the premium, and buy locally from a reputable dealer and stay away from Alibaba – you don’t know who you are dealing with and like me could taken for a ride (excuse the pun) by charlatans like the Suzhou Ansbern Sports Co., Ltd.
Also don’t think that you are protected by Alibaba, you are not. Alibaba is there to protect the seller. Trust me I learnt that the hard way. I now have a CDN $4000 bike I cannot use unless I install a Rohloff IGH, new wheel, spokes, sprockets and belt at a cost of CDN $3000.

I first quoted a frame for the g510 motor and it was more than the frame itself to ship. Their rep said it’s too small to ship frame ground and must go air next day express-no cheaper shipping. $600 shipping for a $400 frame.

AsbernDiana went on fbook g510 forum to advertise. I then told them about the ridiculous shipping quote, she then said it was error and quoted $300some for shipping but will take 30days after paying to product frame- which I though is fishy since they probably build bikes by the dozen everyday.

That’s enough ridiculousness for me to send money to a company and possibly get the shaft end of the stick.
Went and ordered a carbon frame from Dengfu, will be here tomorrow.

Anyone haven’t heard of Dengfu carbon bikes, look them up. Even Luna uses their carbon frames.

:evil:
Rykmann said:
I purchased a ASB-EB-31 from the Suzhou Ansbern Sports Co., Ltd.
Bafang G510 Ultra Max Mid Motor 1000W
48V 17ah Samsun Cell
Gates CDX Belt
Sturmey-Archer RSX-RK5 5 speed internal gear hub. (IGH)
Here’s why.
When my bike eventually arrived 12 weeks late the first thing I noticed was that the RST Renegade front fork was damaged. I contacted Tony Wong from Suzhou Ansbern who kept saying that they will speak to their “engineer”. Nothing happened. I eventually sourced spare parts from RST Germany. I repaired the fork and on the first test ride noticed that all was not right with my Sturmey-Archer IGH. Sturmey Archer RSX RK5 noise
After multiple futile attempts to contact Suzhou Ansbern I contacted Sunrace USA. Their technical person said that Sturmey Archer gears are not designed for mid motors therefore any damage falls outside their warranty.
I thought that I was saving money by “going direct” but honestly, it’s been heartache since day 1. My suggestion is – do yourself a favour, pay the premium, and buy locally from a reputable dealer and stay away from Alibaba – you don’t know who you are dealing with and like me could taken for a ride (excuse the pun) by charlatans like the Suzhou Ansbern Sports Co., Ltd.
Also don’t think that you are protected by Alibaba, you are not. Alibaba is there to protect the seller. Trust me I learnt that the hard way. I now have a CDN $4000 bike I cannot use unless I install a Rohloff IGH, new wheel, spokes, sprockets and belt at a cost of CDN $3000.

Or buy Frey. I snapped a rear strut. Full new frame was sent within 2 weeks. I have broken both battery connectors, battery locking mechanism and motor freewheel. In all cases replacement parts were sent via TNT courier and they arrived a week after.

Seems like lots of stuff break on Frey ebikes.

As for the one complaining about Alibaba and being shafted, well thats nothing new, everyone knows that about some Alibaba sellers. Best to buy from known sellers who have a history of selling stuff to ES forum members who have had an overall positive experience. That goes for ebay and Amazon as well, but everyone knows Alibaba doesnt have good CS refund policies for customers, everyone.

FlyingFinn said:
Or buy Frey. I snapped a rear strut. Full new frame was sent within 2 weeks. I have broken both battery connectors, battery locking mechanism and motor freewheel. In all cases replacement parts were sent via TNT courier and they arrived a week after.

Rykmann said:

This was avoidable. Folks everywhere are more than willing to sell busted garbage to "consumers" because they ask for it. That bike looks like a trap for a clueless chump, which might in fact be all it is.

If I had a customer ask me, "hey, should I use a 1000W mid drive with a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub?", I'd of course tell him don't do it. If he asked, "hey, should I buy an e-fatbike direct from China?", I'd say that's really not a good idea.

I'm guessing you didn't ask a professional.

markz said:
Seems like lots of stuff break on Frey ebikes.

As for the one complaining about Alibaba and being shafted, well thats nothing new, everyone knows that about some Alibaba sellers. Best to buy from known sellers who have a history of selling stuff to ES forum members who have had an overall positive experience. That goes for ebay and Amazon as well, but everyone knows Alibaba doesnt have good CS refund policies for customers, everyone.

From 2020 onwards the weakness on the rear part of the frame was completely redesigned. It’s much stronger nowadays. I got the new model as replacement and I can agree.

So is the motor. The old and weak clutch design is different from 1/2020 onwards. Pawls are thicker and thus stronger. I’ve ridden the new one for 2000 km and I can agree. No issues.

A 2020 —> AM/FAT1000 is much better than the 2019 and previous models. Frey is listening the community feedback and developing their bikes accordingly. This is an indicator for a good and responsible manufacturer. Much better than Ansbern or C&N Leili from which the latter can steal your money or property (has happened atleast two times).

It’s people who took a risk and live to tell the stories that are the real heroes. That’s why we have forums to spread goods along with bad stories. A “professional” is just a title someone decided to slap it on himself after a so called “years of experienced” learn from those who risked and tried. But who really gives a sht.
A lot of people and I don’t. No one knows everything. Live learn and become part of a collective experience, mistakes are part of it.

Chalo said:
Rykmann said:

This was avoidable. Folks everywhere are more than willing to sell busted garbage to "consumers" because they ask for it. That bike looks like a trap for a clueless chump, which might in fact be all it is.

If I had a customer ask me, "hey, should I use a 1000W mid drive with a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub?", I'd of course tell him don't do it. If he asked, "hey, should I buy an e-fatbike direct from China?", I'd say that's really not a good idea.

I'm guessing you didn't ask a professional.

BeachRider2016 said:
It’s people who took a risk and live to tell the stories that are the real heroes. That’s why we have forums to spread goods along with bad stories. A “professional” is just a title someone decided to slap it on himself after a so called “years of experienced” learn from those who risked and tried. But who really gives a sht.
A lot of people and I don’t. No one knows everything. Live learn and become part of a collective experience, mistakes are part of it.

Okay.

But dumb avoidable mistakes are dumb and avoidable. Choosing not to do business with someone who's trying to appeal to the six-year-old part of you is a good start.

It’s the “child-like”part of us generates inventions. The so-called “professionals” are just a bunch of 2nd rated on lookers.

Chalo said:
BeachRider2016 said:

Okay.

But dumb avoidable mistakes are dumb and avoidable. Choosing not to do business with someone who's trying to appeal to the six-year-old part of you is a good start.

BeachRider2016 said:
It’s the “child-like”part of us generates inventions. The so-called “professionals” are just a bunch of 2nd rated on lookers.

Sure, be inventive like a child. Don't be a chumpy consumer like a child, though. Or if you do, expect to get played.

Without those enthusiasm and sacrifices, then how would the “professionals” know anything? I applaud those come in with a naive attitude hoping for the best. But with any new start ups, there will be problems and hiccups. Hopefully, overtime they will improve.

Chalo said:
BeachRider2016 said:

Sure, be inventive like a child. Don't be a chumpy consumer like a child, though. Or if you do, expect to get played.

Back