AVOID EUNORAU on Aliexpress

furcifer

10 kW
Great seller until the controller on a new BBSHD crapped out after a week. The motor started cutting out, then would come back on. The time between recoveries got longer. By the next day only the display turned on with a "30" error. I tested the connections and changed displays. I tried to jumper wires and bypass the display and no go.

I tried to work with the seller over the last week to trouble shoot. First he said it was the display, both of them. Now he claims I rode in heavy rain and that's why the controller is dead. I offered to buy a second unit if he included the replacement controller in with the new one, he declined.

A side note, the motor arrived quickly but the packaging was a little beat up. The chainring had come loose and had a few teeth flattened from impact. The motor had no obvious signs of damage but had obvious bounced around a bit during shipping. I'm not sure if this was the cause, the controllers from what I gather are a bit of a hit or miss.

In any event, the controllers aren't cheap and they should last more than a week. Kevin Fang at Eunorau has been making up excuses for the failure that don't make sense. I would caution anyone from purchasing from this vendor as there is no warranty support. I've ordered a replacement controller from Luna Cycle and I regret not buying from them directly. The $100 I saved ended up in El Segundo anyways. :)

I can agree about this vendor. My controller on a BBSHD lasted a month, then just stopped working.
I contacted Eunorau who agreed to send me a new controller if I returned the broken one
AT MY EXPENSE!
OK bad enough but at least a replacement.
However, when I took off the controller, I noticed that there are no markings, serial numbers or stickers on it at all.
I questioned Eunorau about this and was told that Bafang must have forgotten to put the info on! Yeah right!
I'm still fighting with him about this because I can't see the point in paying to return a fake controller, that can't be fixed anyway and I don't want anything but a genuine Bafang replacement.
Beware of buying from Eunorau !!!

spinningmagnets said:
Some might say "Avoid Aliexpress"...

Some truth there. But then again, QS Motors sells on AliExpress so the key is to identify reputable sellers. This is why we have forums like this. Better yet would be some curated registry of reputable sellers on AliExpress and eBay. A forum thread is the wrong tool for this. Some sort of directory with ability to comment. Thoughts?

M

I do like some of the products from QS, but...at the same time, what do they do with their sub-standard parts? Throw them away?

Buying on Aliexpress can save you money, and many times you can "get lucky". However, if you buy from an "in country" dealer, he has a vested interest in maintaining his business reputation, which I feel is worth something.

Let's say one out of ten Aliexpress QS motors is bad, so the other nine are good. Can you return the motor to China for a refund? What is the cost of shipping?

I'm glad the option of Aliexpress exists, but it is simply not something I'm interested in.

spinningmagnets said:
I do like some of the products from QS, but...at the same time, what do they do with their sub-standard parts? Throw them away?

There is another thing I feel is happening in China vs. the US: China is (often) selling us their old technology -- not surprisingly. Example: most cheap eBikes are being unloaded on the US using older V1/260 QS motor designs (basically dumping their old stock) -- in fact I recently purchased a 2017 model on Craigslist with just such a motor in order to use as a test platform. If you go to their various websites you will see plenty of V2 and V3 motors in 205 vs 260 vs 273 format in 10inch, 12inch, 13inch, 14inch, 16inch, and 17inch sizes -- somewhat bewildering to the uninitiated. Worse, the listings are inconsistent and sometime contradictory wrt specifications. And only recently you can buy the more-efficient V4 motor in China, but no direct links yet available to US buyers on AliExpress.

Looking forward to some saneness in the coming years, but I refuse to hold my breath.

This is not an Aliexpress problem this is a problem with Chinese vendors period . BTN not only sells on Aliexpress they sell on Alibaba and they have a warehouse in LasVegas . This is a Bafang problem . On the other hand I have a problem with a BTN one off controller and it has NO parts number on it either . I'm trying to get it sorted out now , we'll see what happens . I weould rather just have somone build me a controller like this but don't know where to start

Well a little update with BTN Eunorau situation . I have been in touch with them and they gave me some simple things to check and it turns out that indeed my controller is bad . It took a little while between email, tests etc but last night I got a tracking number for a new controller that they are sending me . So , it took a little while because of language barrier , diagnosis etc but they have indeed followed through .I hope your situation gets better and turns out well for you .
I dont know if the OP knows what error 30 is so here is some info off of bafang usa direct .

ERROR 30: Communication error
It is most likely a simple connection issue.
1. First unplug and replug all of the connections on your kit including all of the Main Wiring Harness connections (display, throttle, brake levers) and all of the Motor lead connections with the Battery and Speed Sensor. Make sure no pins are bent/damaged on any of the connection plugs and line up the arrows and pins when reconnecting everything to ensure proper connection.
2. If Step 1 does not fix the error, check that none of the wiring on your setup is being pinched, especially the cables coming from the controller. Check to make sure that none of the wiring on your installation is too taught and is pulling the cables from the controller.
3. Open up the controller from the motor core and unplug all of the controller plugs and replug them again ensuring there is no silicone interference and everything is properly connected.

jangles said:
Well a little update with BTN Eunorau situation . I have been in touch with them and they gave me some simple things to check and it turns out that indeed my controller is bad . It took a little while between email, tests etc but last night I got a tracking number for a new controller that they are sending me . So , it took a little while because of language barrier , diagnosis etc but they have indeed followed through .I hope your situation gets better and turns out well for you .
I dont know if the OP knows what error 30 is so here is some info off of bafang usa direct .

ERROR 30: Communication error
It is most likely a simple connection issue.
1. First unplug and replug all of the connections on your kit including all of the Main Wiring Harness connections (display, throttle, brake levers) and all of the Motor lead connections with the Battery and Speed Sensor. Make sure no pins are bent/damaged on any of the connection plugs and line up the arrows and pins when reconnecting everything to ensure proper connection.
2. If Step 1 does not fix the error, check that none of the wiring on your setup is being pinched, especially the cables coming from the controller. Check to make sure that none of the wiring on your installation is too taught and is pulling the cables from the controller.
3. Open up the controller from the motor core and unplug all of the controller plugs and replug them again ensuring there is no silicone interference and everything is properly connected.

Sorry, I forgot to check this thread. This finally resolved itself today!

So the "Dispute" resulted in an "Appeal" and the ALiexpress team making 2 offers:

1- return the whole thing to China at my expense for full refund
2- partial refund of $113.40 (how they came up with this I don't know. I asked for $120, the cost of a controller and shipping from Luna)

Now remember this is in February. I rejected the 1st offer since shipping this back would have been $250Cdn. it was never an option. but I was worried the whole motor was fried. I begrudgingly accepted offer 2- partial refund.

I waited a week, but no refund. I check Aliexpress it says: Return in Progress

WTF?

Message CS.

Apparently the system selected "Return for full refund" and was waiting for the return.

I explained to several CS over several days that was not what I selected. Luckily I had screen shots to help explain. BUT TO NO AVAIL. I was told to wait 3-4 weeks for the return process to time out, then make a second appeal.

GAH. In the mean time the Luna controller showed up. "Error 07". Apparently they had a batch of controllers that were programmed wrong. They sent me a new one, no questions asked.

"Don't worry friend, we will take care of you. ALiexpress protects customer". So over the month of March I messaged CS 5 or 6 times about my second appeal. Nothing ever came back to me.

I finally called the credit card company and did a chargeback. I only asked for the cost to repair the controller which was $120US.

Today I was refunded $727Cdn. :shock:

(the second controller from Luna fried fyi. just sitting on the back porch for an hour. it looks like the conductive paste was on the wrong side of the board in a spot and shorted out the controller. Luna sent a new one, but said that was the last one they could do) I ordered a spare controller on Amazon because, controllers right, and it's got a "07 Error" code as well.)

tl;dr - there are bad vendors on Aliexpress. Aliexpress is pretty good about protecting customers, their system of doing so is stupid, work with them but not for so long you can't do a chargeback because it may come to that.

Well BTN / Eunorau did send me another controller BUT it was the wrong one . It had a two inch cable on it and it needed a 19 inch cable . I finally got them to send me an extension cable and when it arrived it was wrong too . The extension was 3 friggin feet when it needed to be 17 inches . The controller is mounted inside the frame and there is nowhere to stuff all that cable . I guess I'm going to scrap the bike and get another bike to mount a single controller and forget about the front wheel drive . Ruby did email me and asked me to ship it to Vegas but I'm so pissed I don't even want to look at that bike . Lesson learned .

Luna has the highest profit margin of ANY BBSxx dealer. By a large margin. Yet their competition offers a 1 year warranty under normal use. They don’t list more than a few parts, and the rest of us that actually answer the phone end up providing support. When asked about how to flash firmware to correct error 7 or throttle at 0 PAS “it’s a secret, why would we help another vendor. “

tomjasz said:
Luna has the highest profit margin of ANY BBSxx dealer. By a large margin. Yet their competition offers a 1 year warranty under normal use. They don’t list more than a few parts, and the rest of us that actually answer the phone end up providing support. When asked about how to flash firmware to correct error 7 or throttle at 0 PAS “it’s a secret, why would we help another vendor. “

To be fair, I've been fixing cars and bikes for 30 years and most electrical parts aren't warrantied. And that's because they are sensitive. Of course in the age of electric bikes this doesn't work. Luna does listen to customers but I think they are at the mercy of Bafang, and Bafang doesn't seem to stand by their product like they should.

I tried to contact Bafang about this issue and they never responded. IMO they should have sent out a new controller and dealt with Eunorau, but they didn't. My gut says that it's going to take the CC companies and chargebacks like this to force them to honour warranties like any reputable company would.

Sorry but, but you drank the KoolAid. Several resellers support Bafang kits for a year. Luna has the highest margin, and lowest level of support and shortest warranty. But you will save $3 on a kit. :roll:

tomjasz said:
Sorry but, but you drank the KoolAid. Several resellers support Bafang kits for a year. Luna has the highest margin, and lowest level of support and shortest warranty. But you will save $3 on a kit. :roll:

Well I only bought the controller from them. I'm pretty sure they support the kits for longer than the controller alone. How long I'm not sure. At least for my issues with the controller they were easy to contact and pretty knowledgeable.

I wish I could have found a US vendor when I was looking in January. I can't remember now but I think there was Luna and 2 or 3 others but they all had the same price ($699 comes to mind)

Bafang usa direct is where I got my BBSHD and it was 649 if I remember right .I know it was cheaper than Luna or Empowered . Great service and fast shipping .

jangles said:
Bafang usa direct is where I got my BBSHD and it was 649 if I remember right .I know it was cheaper than Luna or Empowered . Great service and fast shipping .

They only ship within the US. :cry:

The frame I'm using right now has wide chain stays. I'm pretty sure the only chainring available in the world that will fit and give me a proper chainline is the Luna Eclipse. So there's that. Not that it would have played any part in my choice when I ordered. I didn't know this until I got the motor on and started using it. I don't think this is something you can know before you get the motor mounted, the tolerances are very tight and the geometry makes it hard to measure. The amount of offset varies with the radius of the chainring.

furcifer said:
tomjasz said:

Well I only bought the controller from them. I'm pretty sure they support the kits for longer than the controller alone. How long I'm not sure. At least for my issues with the controller they were easy to contact and pretty knowledgeable.

I wish I could have found a US vendor when I was looking in January. I can't remember now but I think there was Luna and 2 or 3 others but they all had the same price ($699 comes to mind)

I ran pricing from a number of USA resellers. IF you add a motor to the resellers' websites cart and calculate the REAL cost with shipping all are within a few dollars. Buy from a vendor that doesn't answer the phone and save $3, and it's on the buyer...

Google the sellers name and the word warranty. A revealing search!

furcifer said:
jangles said:

They only ship within the US. :cry:

The frame I'm using right now has wide chain stays. I'm pretty sure the only chainring available in the world that will fit and give me a proper chainline is the Luna Eclipse. So there's that. Not that it would have played any part in my choice when I ordered. I didn't know this until I got the motor on and started using it. I don't think this is something you can know before you get the motor mounted, the tolerances are very tight and the geometry makes it hard to measure. The amount of offset varies with the radius of the chainring.

Lekkie chainrings are darn close.

tomjasz said:
Lekkie chainrings are darn close.

They only give 1.4mm of offset over the stock 46T. Right now I've got about 5mm at the 190mm diameter. The Eclipse 42T at 180mm is pretty much perfect for my application.

I didn't look at the offset guide before buying the Bafang alloy 42T. 1cm less offset than the stock I was dropping chains every other shift.

furcifer said:
Bafang alloy 42T. shame on them for even offering that turd for sale. Having sold scores of the Lekkie it's been a good fit for a majority of builds. All of my builds that at one time had the Luna version have worked out with Lekkie
BTW a new cool product from Lekkie!

DESCRIPTION ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REVIEWS (0)
Full CNC 6061 alloy drive side gear cover and gasket replacement for the standard Bafang plastic cover.
This fantastic looking and robust cover is designed to better seal and protect your gears from dust and sand.
We have also added a grease port so you no longer need to pull the cover off to keep your motor running super smooth.
This cover is required to run the Lekkie 40T Bling Ring

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 9.04.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 9.04.00 PM.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 4,699
tomjasz said:
furcifer said:
Bafang alloy 42T. shame on them for even offering that turd for sale. Having sold scores of the Lekkie it's been a good fit for a majority of builds. All of my builds that at one time had the Luna version have worked out with Lekkie
BTW a new cool product from Lekkie!

DESCRIPTION ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REVIEWS (0)
Full CNC 6061 alloy drive side gear cover and gasket replacement for the standard Bafang plastic cover.
This fantastic looking and robust cover is designed to better seal and protect your gears from dust and sand.
We have also added a grease port so you no longer need to pull the cover off to keep your motor running super smooth.
This cover is required to run the Lekkie 40T Bling Ring

That's a nice piece of CNC.

Yah, I saw it (the alloy) and saw that it had offset and just assumed it would have as much or more than the 46T pie plate. I don't know what applications could use less offset but it can't be that common?

I suspect that the Lekkie would work better than the stock 46T even with less offset because it's a narrow wide. Eunorau even offered it as part of the kit when I bought it but I passed thinking it was a bit pricey to gamble on needing. Now I'm not sure if I want to keep the motor on this frame or change to a FS.

I guess I didn't read enough about installing the BBSHD before I made the purchase. I saw so many videos of people just installing them and only one on the chainline issue I just assumed it was abnormal instead of normal. I figured it's a kit for 68mm, I'll run the ring that comes with it for a while and figure things out. Sadly on my application it's pretty crappy.

jangles said:
If I wanted a smart azzed comment from you I'd have asked for a clown act .

So just an update on this fiasco.

Several weeks ago a saw the chargeback reappear on my credit card. I received a reply letter from the credit card company saying they were reversing the chargeback and I had 2 weeks to reply with evidence or the case would be considered resolved. They also included the vendor's response.

The vendor's response was downright slanderous, he accused me of being a malicious buyer and claimed I drowned the motor, then wanted it for free and refused to provide any video evidence.

So I prepared a 10 page report on what actually transpired. I included the BBSHD specs, the accusatory email, the refusal to help while the claim was active, the offer from Aliexpress to refund the $113US, the video I uploaded to Youtube and detailed account of the 20 customer service chats that promised a lot but went nowhere. I said at a minimum I should be refunded the $113 they promised in February, but at this point I'm not willing to pay anything. Between the hassle and lack of warranty, as well as all the work, and the outright lies I wanted all my money back.

Yesterday the charges were again taken off my credit card. :mrgreen:

Long story short, if you're going to buy on Aliexpress use your credit card. Keep a detailed record of any correspondence, take screen shots and don't just give up if you have a problem. I'm pretty sure they deliberately give you the run around. Customer service seemed aware of the fact that return shipping wasn't an option. They know full well that some things are on a one way trip. All I wanted was a controller to fix the problem myself.

I’m sorry, but anyone buying from these resellers when there are numerous USA resellers that provide support... well you get what you pay for. BTW it wouldn’t be the first time someone “drowned” a motor and tried to claim warranty service.

Back