Ebike axle wiring

MarkJohnston

10 kW
Hello

My ebike axle wiring is cracked as seen in the pictures. So far it doesn't look the wires are touching. However I can see the insulation is starting to crack in multiple places on the hall wiring. IMO before I start getting problems. I am especially worried that the wheel could suddenly go into reverse while at 40MPH. :shock:

I think it cracked in the first place because the axle is vibrating against the insulation but I am not sure why they would design this so crappy. I have been very careful when changing flats to make sure to lay it down non wore side.

For now I just put electrical tape over it. Thankfully I live in LA and it barely rains here.but I'd water gets in here I don't think it would be good. Please tell me what I should do. Also I don't have the time or tools to overhaul the hub and fix the wiring so please keep that in mind. I'm about to go on a tour with this ebike and want this fixed!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20210818_225111202.jpg
    PXL_20210818_225111202.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 676
  • PXL_20210818_225121537.jpg
    PXL_20210818_225121537.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 676
  • PXL_20210818_225241674.jpg
    PXL_20210818_225241674.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 676
Is funny people bothered to offer tons expert advise but dude can't be bothered solder couple of wires :mrgreen:

LewTwo said:
Very ancient proverb: "It is a bad workman blames his tools"

Well this is just a hobby for me. I am not an obsessed person nor a "workman." I.e. I don't make money off this, I just like riding bicycles. I've gotten everything to work and decent crimps. I have 5000 miles so far on this kit. I can prove it if need be. I certainly believe and I am sure many others will agree that there are varying quality of tools and materials, the better ones being the ones that cost more. Not everybody has all the money in the world to pour into their ebikes!

Greendog said:
Is funny people bothered to offer tons expert advise but dude can't be bothered solder couple of wires :mrgreen:

Seriously man? what's your problem. Its actually 6 fat phase wires and 10 small hall wires. The motor has to be overhualed and the proper way of doing this requires soldering the phases directly to the windings. Everybody on here says that requires a large soldering iron. Such an iron I do not have and starts at $100 on amazon! Soldering always gives me a headache! The fumes are irritating! even with a fan!

Soldering is actually a SKILL, you SHOULD READ THE EXPERT ADVICE ON HERE. I went through and read. every. single. comment. Truth be told i am not sure why I am even wasting time replying to you, but here i am... You are likely flaming on endless sphere which is dumb. Get a better hobby you yourself.

Not only do I NEED TO overhaul the motor, i have to soldering the male CONTROLLER SIDE TO THE CONTROLLER. It's easy to fry electronics if you don't use high heat, i.e. wrong iron, etc.

TLDR: It's NOT just a few wires!

MarkJohnston said:
Such an iron I do not have and starts at $100 on amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3SG796
US$23

LewTwo said:
MarkJohnston said:
Such an iron I do not have and starts at $100 on amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3SG796
US$23

I've gotten digital temperature-regulated 60W soldering irons for $30 on the 'zon.

MarkJohnston said:
Get a better hobby you yourself
sorry dude can't ebike building is the best :mrgreen:

Motor finally bit the dust. The brake track split. Wire stayed good until the end. Not worth rebuilding at this point. Part out and sell.

Attachments

• IMG_20220611_194438_01.jpg
    IMG_20220611_194438_01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 293
Motor finally bit the dust. The brake track split. Wire stayed good until the end.

I actually dropped the motor on the wire itself and it still works surprisingly. Thing is robust asf. I'm going to try and relace it and build a back up ( crap) bike. My family really wants to borrow one

I rebuilt this wheel but after about 40 or so rides, I started having issues. The first thing was that the there was a weird clunking noise and jerking from the motor. Then the motor cut out. Now it runs in reverse.

IT's strange. It worked for so long. I tested with a known good controller and still have an error. Could it be the motor?

Back