Throttle wired wrong?

bbells

10 mW
I have 3 ebikes. On two of them I had to change the order of the wires on the throttle control to get the wheel to turn. The red throttle wire had to be changed to the green connector wire. The green throttle wire to the black. The black throttle wire to, you guessed it, to the red connector wire. The connector them plugs into the controller connector. I must have done something wrong here. I can't get any factory wired throttle to work on either bike, and i have tried several. Anyone have any ideas?

If I had a bike with that problem, I'd replace the plug or rearrange the terminals in it, so that it would work correctly with whatever throttles I want to use. Don't get hung up on the color code if it's incorrect. One of the wires is +5V from the controller, one is GND, and the third one is for the signal voltage returned by the Hall sensor.

Thats because the assembly line in asia is about speed and profit margins, not spending extra time finding the correct color of wire. They might do it on purpose so you get to spend an extra $2.50 on another throttle after you waited for the 1st to arrive now you need to wait 4 months for the next throttle to arrive.

This is common when swapping around parts, although having to change red (pos) wires is not. I always have thought the one universal law we could count on in the Chinese ebike universe is that red would always be Hot :shock:
Ground is usually blk, gr, or wht.
The good news is, you can't damage anything if you are only messing w/ the 3 throttle wires.
Using a multimeter find the two wires (they have to be connected to the controller to complete the circuit) that will give you 4.5 Volts. Those are the power wires and the remaining wire is the signal wire. When the correct wire is connected, there should be something like 3.8 Volts across the Gnd - signal and it will decrease as the throttle is turned. One would think it would be the other way (increasing Voltage), but if I recall correctly, that was the way the last one I did worked.

motomech said:
I always have thought the one universal law we could count on in the Chinese ebike universe is that red would always be Hot :shock:

The only "universal law" I have found is that there isn't one. ;)

I can only say that red goes to red, black to black, purple to yellow and green to white. That worked in my set up. I don't know why red and black would change.

THe most likely reason is that sometimes you get people doing the work (factory wiring in this case) that either don't know (no training, no pictures or manuals or whatever) or simply don't care how they are supposed to doing a job...so they just do it however they feel like it. Sometimes they misinterpret instructions, so they might have the board or plug upside down and so wire things in the opposite order it's supposed to be, etc. Sometimes it's just plain wrong instructions.

Years ago, there was a whole series of MagicPie motors that had their main battery wires reversed, with black being positive, and red being negative. As you can imagine, there were a lot of blown up systems during installation. :/ Their fix was to put little tags on the ends of the wires with the correct polarities, hoping installers would see them, instead of fixing the root problem. IIRC it wasnt' until a later version of the motor that they bothered to change this.

Back