C&N EEB 1500w very little power

Slozukimc

10 W
I just purchased a second hand C&N EEB. It is the 1500w fat tire model. The battery was very dead when I got it but luckily it has taken a full charge and seems ok. It is a 48v 64ah pack. I have verified that the battery is not my problem by connecting my 14s lipo pack for my other bike to it and getting the same results. Well, it went a mile an hour faster with the lipo but that is 14s vs 13s.

The problem is that it will only go 5.5 mph with the wheel off the ground and comes to a complete stop as soon as the wheel touches the ground. It won’t go in the highest pedal assist modes or with the throttle. I don’t expect it to have a lot of power. It is big and heavy but it has no power.

What else do you need to know? Any idea on what to check out?

Thanks, Mike

Now I see I am getting an occasional Error 01H. I am not sure if it is random or from me wiggling a wire with a loose connection. I haven’t been able to repeat making it go on or off with anything so I am pretty sure it is not a loose plug.

Well I don’t know just what I did but the pedal assist is working now. At least on a stand. Seems to have lots of power and runs up over 40mph easily.

Contacted the original owner and it turns out he put a different throttle on the bike to match the rest of the red accents. Not sure if that is the entire problem or not. I am going to find a stock throttle and/or specs for this one so I can see if it is right. Acts like it is in walking mode when the throttle is wide open.

It is certainly made to be noticed. But then again, around here, any ebike gets noticed. I live in a small town where most times I roll my Burley Canto ebike into the Walmart and lean ot against the wall with very little concern about it being there when I get back.

This bike is so damned heavy that if I program a lock code in it they damn sure better want it bad to pedal it off. Although I will chain this one up when I walk away to keep kids from screwing with it.

The pedal assist is now working and it seems to have plenty of power for playing around on the road. Will see about off road. Throttle is still useless.

I had to program the pedal assist for counterclockwise rather than clockwise for it to work when pedalling forward. Not sure why it is like that. Backward sensor, swapped wires, wrong PA sensor????

Still no throttle power to speak of. Voltage at throttle is 3.8v. Wondering if the controller got shorted or something when the new throttle was spliced in. I also noticed the PA sensor wires are attached to each other with waterproof but splice connectors instead of a plug like everything else. Seems odd to me.

Slozukimc said:
Still no throttle power to speak of. Voltage at throttle is 3.8v. Wondering if the controller got shorted or something when the new throttle was spliced in.
If the throttle voltage is *always* 3.8v, then it's probably stuck at max. Magnet could've come loose inside, sensor is loose and closer to one magnet than it should be, or is wired wrong, sensor failed, etc.

I had to program the pedal assist for counterclockwise rather than clockwise for it to work when pedalling forward. Not sure why it is like that. Backward sensor, swapped wires, wrong PA sensor????
<snip>
I also noticed the PA sensor wires are attached to each other with waterproof but splice connectors instead of a plug like everything else. Seems odd to me.
Probably they ahd to replace the PAS unit and like most things the connector wiring was different so they had to splice it instead of just plugging it in. That also explains having to change the direction in the settings--the magnet disc is probably installed the wrong way, or the sensor is on the wrong side, etc.

amberwolf said:
Slozukimc said:
Still no throttle power to speak of. Voltage at throttle is 3.8v. Wondering if the controller got shorted or something when the new throttle was spliced in.
If the throttle voltage is *always* 3.8v, then it's probably stuck at max. Magnet could've come loose inside, sensor is loose and closer to one magnet than it should be, or is wired wrong, sensor failed, etc.
I should have said 3.8v out of the controller to the throttle.

<snip>
I also noticed the PA sensor wires are attached to each other with waterproof but splice connectors instead of a plug like everything else. Seems odd to me.
Probably they ahd to replace the PAS unit and like most things the connector wiring was different so they had to splice it instead of just plugging it in. That also explains having to change the direction in the settings--the magnet disc is probably installed the wrong way, or the sensor is on the wrong side, etc.
. Agreed. Sounds exactly right.

I took it for a ride today and fried the motor on a big hill. Apparently there is no overheat protection in these. The windings and wires inside the motor are smoked. Melted wire ties everywhere. It is a mess.

I made another post about replacing the hub motor with a Cyclone swingarm kit. I may do that if it will work well with the 48v pack. I could buy a replacement motor and just put the guts in this housing instead of relacing the wheel for now but I would not be happy with it.

Thanks for the help!!!

Back