Please help!! Stuck in identification mode, can't open Kelly Controller Program!!

Nat.Kay

1 mW
I have a problem with my Kelly controller 7275h. I accidentally shut the bike off after changing the identification angle to 170. Now every time I turn it on the motor tries to do the identify angle procedure but it can't seem to complete it. Because the controller is constantly trying to do the identification angle I am unable to open the Kelly Controller app on my pc. I got into it before but now I can't stop the controller from making the motor move therefore I cannot open the program.

PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME :cry: !!!
THANK YOU

Disconnect the controller from the motor, etc., using only the battery and the computer connection.

Then retry. You may have to wait long enough for the controller to "finish" the process (you won't know because the motor isn't hooked up, but you can just wait a few minutes).

If that doesnt' work you may have to contact Kelly, as there are some conditions under which a controller becomes "bricked" where it can't be used anymore, and Kelly would have to fix it for you. They might have to have you send it to them, or they might have a fix you can do there.

I have a problem with my Kelly controller 7275h. I accidentally shut the bike off after changing the identification angle to 170. Now every time I turn it on the motor tries to do the identify angle procedure but it can't seem to complete it. Because the controller is constantly trying to do the identification angle I am unable to open the Kelly Controller app on my pc. I got into it before but now I can't stop the controller from making the motor move therefore I cannot open the program.

PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME :cry: !!!
THANK YOU

amberwolf said:
Disconnect the controller from the motor, etc., using only the battery and the computer connection.

Then retry. You may have to wait long enough for the controller to "finish" the process (you won't know because the motor isn't hooked up, but you can just wait a few minutes).

If that doesnt' work you may have to contact Kelly, as there are some conditions under which a controller becomes "bricked" where it can't be used anymore, and Kelly would have to fix it for you. They might have to have you send it to them, or they might have a fix you can do there.

Thank you, but I already tried opening the program with only the controller hooked up to the battery. I still could not open the program!
And I reached out to Kelly about 1 week ago, no response

I also tried changing the Com Port on my laptop to "1" and since I have Windows 10 I changed the compatibility mode to "Windows XP Service pack 3" and I still could not open the program!

I was able to open the program just fine last week, then for a second time I changed the identification angle to 170 because I was trying to troubleshoot some other issues (big mistake, I know). I turned everything off before letting the identification angle procedure finish.
Now the motor seems to be stuck in the identification angle procedure and I can no longer open the program.

I tried opening the program after disconnecting everything except for the controller from the battery, still no luck.

I also tried changing the Com Port on my laptop to "1" and since I have Windows 10 I changed the compatibility mode to "Windows XP Service Pack 3" and I still could not open the program!

Anyone have any suggestions??

Based on your choice of phrase, it implies a different problem than being able to talk to the controller (that of being unable to open the program at all), but your point about changing a com port implies you *can* open the program, unless you are talking about actually changing a setting in the laptop's hardware.

If the program itself doesn't even open, then it's probably corrupt and needs to be uninstalled, including verifying all folders and files it put on the computer have been removed, and then reinstalling it.

If the program opens but cant' "see" the controller, then it could be a problem with the USB-serial adapter or it's drivers; uninstalling and reinstalling those may help.

When choosing the com port, you must choose the one that the USB-serial adapter has been assigned. If you don't know what that is, you need to go into Device Manager in control panel, and find the Serial or Com ports section and see which one of those is the USB-serial adapter's port. If it isn't listed, then that probably means it isn't being detected by the computer, or the driver isn't installed (or not installed correctly), and that is why the program can't see the controller.

If you are not using USB-serial adapter, then please list the specific hardware you *are* using.

If you've already tried these, and other things, it would be helpful if you create a complete step by step list of exactly what you have already done so we dont' waste time on any of that.

BTW, all of your separate threads for the same thing have been merged into this first one. Please don't make multiple threads for a problem.

amberwolf said:
BTW, all of your separate threads for the same thing have been merged into this first one. Please don't make multiple threads for a problem.

Oh, sorry about that. Can I delete all the repetitive posts just to clean this up a little?

amberwolf said:
Based on your choice of phrase, it implies a different problem than being able to talk to the controller (that of being unable to open the program at all), but your point about changing a com port implies you *can* open the program, unless you are talking about actually changing a setting in the laptop's hardware.

I went into Device manager and found the actual USB serial adapter, went to properties, and manually changed the Com Port. Someone suggested this on another post about not being able to open this program.

amberwolf said:
If the program itself doesn't even open, then it's probably corrupt and needs to be uninstalled, including verifying all folders and files it put on the computer have been removed, and then reinstalling it.

There is nothing to uninstall or reinstall. On the Kelly website you just get an ".exe" file and it doesn't even install anything on your computer.
This is the link:
https://www.kellycontroller.com/support/
KLS Configuration Program (All KLS Controllers)
https://kellycontroller.com/wp-content/uploads/kls/Kelly-KLS-Configuration-Program.zip

I tried reinstalling the drivers, but without first uninstalling them. I could try that maybe

Does your laptop have any other com ports listed in device manager, when the USB-serial cable is not plugged into the laptop? (most don't, these days) If it does, and they are not in use, sometimes disabling them may help. If you are not sure, I would leave them alone, but note which com number they are, to be sure not to set the USB serial to those numbers, and not to pic those numbers in the kelly program.

Now, to make sure what the specific problem is, is it that you literally cannot run (open) the kelly program at all? Meaning, when you double click on it, or click on it and press the enter key on the keyboard, or right click on it and choose Open, that it will not run at all?

Or does it run but give an error message? If so, what exactly is the error message, word for word with all info it provides.

Also, if the controller is still running or trying to run the motor, AFAIK it won't allow communication with the outside world because at least some kellys will be bricked (made permanently unusable) by connecting to the program while the motor is spinning for any reason. (no personal experience with that, but there have been posts around the web for that). So if it is still running, and the program simply won't talk to the ocntroller, then that would be why.

How long have you waited so far for the Identification Angle to complete? The manual says it can take several minutes.
https://kellycontroller.com/wp-content/uploads/kls-h/KellyKLS-HUserManualV1.11-100G.pdf
and this post
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95368#p1398898
indicates that sometimes it can take multiple retries of the process to get it to identify the motor setup, before it will give the "error" indicating it's done, and go back to normal "85" mode.

Are there any error codes? (beeps)

I'm still poking around for info on this, but there are a LOT of posts on the internet about identify angle procedure problems with kellys, and almost none so far are relevant to your issue. :(

amberwolf said:
Or does it run but give an error message? If so, what exactly is the error message, word for word with all info it provides.

It runs and gives me this error: "controller no power or RS232 cable disconnect"
But the other times I was able to open the program I would get that same message. After getting that error, I would close it, and try to open it again. After trying this around 3 times, it would finally open. Very strange. And this is after I change the compatibility mode to Windows XP. But the error message would come up no matter what compatibility mode I had it set to.

amberwolf said:
How long have you waited so far for the Identification Angle to complete? The manual says it can take several minutes.

Are there any error codes? (beeps)
I have waited more than 10 minutes, and there are no error codes (beeps)

I tried powering it up again and for about 10 min the motor just kept jerking and making something like a banging and ticking clock noise (i assume its the identification angle trying to re config itself). Eventually i just turned it off. I don't know what else to do. :?

Ok. AFAICT, the error is because the controller is busy doing other things (the identify process) and "can't spare time to talk". So until it stops, it probably won't be able to communicate.

It's possible that there will be very short gaps in the sequence of things it does in the process that let it try to talk to the program, and that previously you've managed to get in on one of those, and that's why it worked then. If you were to retry enough times, in this case, then it would eventually reconnect (but I have no idea how many retries it would take).

If the times that it worked for you were *not* during the identify process, but you still had trouble with the communication, you may simply have a bad USB-serial cable, or a problem with the drivers for it. Completely uninstalling the drivers and perhaps then even using a different USB port for the cable might help with that. If it is FTDI drivers then these may help:
http://www.dlpdesign.com/CDM-Uninstall-Manual.pdf
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities/CDMUninstaller_v1.4.zip
If it still doesn't work after that, then it could be a bad USB-serial cable, or it could be a problem between the plug on the controller the serial port plugs into and the controller itself (loose contact, broken wire, etc).

If it isn't that, then there could be something wrong with the controller; from what I could find on the Kelly "support" site for "identify" threads, this does happen, where it just gets stuck and never comes back. But since Kelly never posts on their own forum AFAICT, and no one that's ever gotten any help from them ever posts the answer there either, there is no way to know what the actual fix is, if there even is one (besides sending the controller to them for reset or repair).

I don't know what, if any, help it would be, but Fany from Kelly is a member here on ES, so you could try PMing them:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12810

I couldn't find any resolutions for this type of problem anywhere on the web except the stuff you already tried, or waiting until it beeps an error code (which apparently can take a really really long time sometimes), or getting hold of Kelly to send it back to them. Most pages referencing this type of problem have no resolution at all.

I really appreciate you getting back to me and doing all that research. Really.... Thank you.

I've tried looking up these problems online too but I am not knowledgeable enough to know how to word my problems and what I should be searching for. So THANK YOU.

Yesterday I was so fed up that I turned on the bike and left it to keep trying to find the identification angle while I went back in the house. About 1.5 hours later, I went back to the garage with my fingers crossed hoping the fu**ing thing finally finished the procedure, but no such luck. The wheel was still moving slightly and making that clicking/banging noise. 🤬👿🤬👿🤬
I was just about ready to smash it to bits, but I walked away.... I don't have the kind of money it would take to be able to beat up the thing and just buy a new one...

I will try your suggestions and I will actually update you if something works. Fingers crossed 🤞

Off topic, but I clicked on one of your links and I gotta say, your "crazy bike2" is fu**en awesome! I love it!! I wish I had ur skills and patience. Its just so cool.....

Thanks Again!

Nat.Kay said:
I was just about ready to smash it to bits, but I walked away.... I don't have the kind of money it would take to be able to beat up the thing and just buy a new one...

Been there...almost done that, about a bajillion times. ;)

Off topic, but I clicked on one of your links and I gotta say, your "crazy bike2" is fu**en awesome! I love it!! I wish I had ur skills and patience. Its just so cool.....
Thanks--it evolved a LOT over the years. Since I've been using the SB Cruiser trike, it's been out of commission a while...but it's being revamped as the Cloudwalker Cargo Bike, starting this month.
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=111081
If I can get the (probably broken) Kelly KLS7250 I have here working with a QS230 that'll be coming "soon", then that's what will be powering it. (so far all I've done is smoke the phase wires on a little 9C hubmotor trying to run the identification angle routine...but the FETs and stuff on the Kelly measure ok, so it's not blown FETs, etc. I have no idea why it's pouring so much current into the motor just doing a simple identify routine, even when I turned down all the current settings to the minimums it would let me).

If not, I'll be using one of these:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=105711
a Lebowski brain controlling the powerstage of a Honda IMA controller, once I get one of those working. (started that project about a year ago and almost got there...then stuff happened so I didn't quite get done with the first one yet).

FWIW, the SB Cruiser trike is more "finished", and does by itself stuff I have to use a trailer with CB2 to do, so it's my main (only, right now) ride.

(though nothing I make, whether it's a bike, song, or any other project, is ever really finished...there's always something that could be changed just a little here...or maybe this a little there...or... :oops: :)

Back