Motor changes direction randomly ?

Yer bike busted? tell us all about it here.
Trelos   100 mW

100 mW

Motor changes direction randomly ?

Post by Trelos » Apr 08 2021 7:57pm

I am building an electric go kart with a surron light bee motor and am using a Powervelocity 24 let controller I seemed to of found the correct configuration for the phase /hall wires but every time I accelerate the motor changes direction .I then tried a second PV controller and it does the same thing, next a Sabvoton 72150 and it works perfectly .I want to use the PV because it produces a lot more power than Sab.
Stealth bombers , fighter , turbo levo , its a lifestyle !

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Motor changes direction randomly ?

Post by neptronix » Apr 08 2021 8:38pm

Are you using it in a sensorless mode?
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500 MTB.
Monster MTB: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: Heavy duty Cannondale semi recumbent - under construction.
Blue Dream: Maxaraya FS semi recumbent and high efficiency mid-drive - under construction.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Motor changes direction randomly ?

Post by amberwolf » Apr 08 2021 9:19pm

If the controller you are using has a "learn" mode (typically a pair of wires connected together to learn the correct phase/hall combo), then leaving those connnected could cause similar behavior.

Otherwise, the controller being unable to reliably read the hall sensors could cause it to spin the wrong way sometimes. (Wiring or connection problems, hall sensor issues, etc)

A false-positive hall/phase combo might also do this, depending on the actual magnet positions (rotor position) vs the hall sensors.