Hub motor axle slipping out of frame

Kyleraee94

1 mW
Hi all any help would be greatly appreciated

Have built 3 or 4 bike with 2000w brushless motors all worked perfect my own being on roughly 520miles and not had a single issuse. My problem is with my most recent build the wheel just keep sliding out of th frane every 5-10 miles i have torque arms and washers so all spacing is even but still slips out any one have any other methods of securing the wheel to the frame it is rear wheel drive. Have the bike is a 2021 model and had built the exact same befor this one there is no damage to the bike at all.

Bit of a long shot but any help appreciated.
Sorry for the bad grammer

Sometimes the torque of the motors can work themselves out of the dropouts. Nord-loc washers sometimes help. Post a picture of your dropouts so we can see what you are working with.

:D :bolt:

Hey man thanks for the reply just out at the moment so will drop one later if any body is around. Thanks for the recommendation those looks like they could fix my problem or defos get me back on the right track thanks mate

Hello this is normally how i do it. If use have other ways or reccomend a diffrent ways or tips, ears are open and happy to learn

Attachments

• 20210410_184558.jpg
    20210410_184558.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 400
  • 20210410_184803.jpg
    20210410_184803.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 400
e-beach said:
Sometimes the torque of the motors can work themselves out of the dropouts. Nord-loc washers sometimes help. Post a picture of your dropouts so we can see what you are working with.

:D :bolt:

Can you link me to any i havent a clue with sizes if possible just a standard ebike volimart 1500w wheel pics above or bellow

There are several problems with your setup there, which I've listed below the picture you've provided:
file.php

First, the bolt holding the torque arm to the frame would need the lockwasher and washer between it and hte torque arm, *not* between the torque arm and the frame. Otherwise, you could just leave them out and get the same results, as they aren't holding the bolt from loosening (which is their only job). If the item between the lockwasher and the frame is not a washer, but rather the other part of the torque arm, well, you don't need that part, because you've got the important part of the arm already bolted directly to the frame.

BTW, did you modify the axle hole in the torque arm in any way? (it seems odd that the arm would line right up with a bolt hole on the frame with it properly sitting on the axle, and the axle sitting fully into the dropouts...it could happen by random chance, but is unlikely.).

Second, the torque washer is just going to flop around sitting on the axle with nothing to hold it against the frame. However, this doesn't matter because the washer's tab is not inside the dropout flats, so it cannot do it's job. If your dropout is not deep enough for the torque washer's tab to sit *inside* the dropout, you would be better off to turn it around the other way so it can't pry against the frame and try to pull the axle out of the dropout--put it so the tab faces away from the frame, toward the end of the axle.

Third, the torque arm needs to be parallel to (preferably flat against) the frame. If it cannot be made to do so, you must add washers to the axle until they are at least as "high" as the frame protrusion(s) preventing the torque arm from laying flat against the frame, so that the torque arm will be parallel to the frame.

Fourth, the axle nut needs to tighten against hte torque arm's outboard face completely parallel to it, preferably with a thin flat washer between them. If it is not parallel to it, and instead sits at an angle like you have it, the nut doesn't stay in place and doesnt' secure anything.

I'd recommend also showing us the other axle of the motor, so we can help you install the hardware on that side correctly as well.

FWIW, making yourself custom torque plates (with a hole for the axle that is *exactly* the same shape size as the axle, so the axle cannot move within it) to fit within the frame's odd shape around the dropout would give you a more secure setup. Then the plates could be bolted to the frame. You can make such plates out of thick mild steel using a hacksaw and a set of good files, if you have patience and time. :)

See The Torque Arm Picture Thread for various examples.

amberwolf said:
There are several problems with your setup there, which I've listed below the picture you've provided:
file.php

First, the bolt holding the torque arm to the frame would need the lockwasher and washer between it and hte torque arm, *not* between the torque arm and the frame. Otherwise, you could just leave them out and get the same results, as they aren't holding the bolt from loosening (which is their only job). If the item between the lockwasher and the frame is not a washer, but rather the other part of the torque arm, well, you don't need that part, because you've got the important part of the arm already bolted directly to the frame.

BTW, did you modify the axle hole in the torque arm in any way? (it seems odd that the arm would line right up with a bolt hole on the frame with it properly sitting on the axle, and the axle sitting fully into the dropouts...it could happen by random chance, but is unlikely.).

Second, the torque washer is just going to flop around sitting on the axle with nothing to hold it against the frame. However, this doesn't matter because the washer's tab is not inside the dropout flats, so it cannot do it's job. If your dropout is not deep enough for the torque washer's tab to sit *inside* the dropout, you would be better off to turn it around the other way so it can't pry against the frame and try to pull the axle out of the dropout--put it so the tab faces away from the frame, toward the end of the axle.

Hi mate thanks for your reply i am not a pro by any means so what you have told me will help me greatly. I am currently at work so will message more pic later on if you get a chance to have a look them. A really appreciate you taking your time to write this so thank you very much

Kyleraee94 said:

Have built 3 or 4 bike with 2000w brushless motors all worked perfect my own being on roughly 520miles and not had a single issuse. My problem is with my most recent build the wheel just keep sliding out of th frane every 5-10 miles i have torque arms and washers so all spacing is even but still slips out any one have any other methods of securing the wheel to the frame it is rear wheel drive. Have the bike is a 2021 model and had built the exact same befor this one there is no damage to the bike at all.

I had a similar problem but mine was with the front fork slip out. The problem went away with different forks. I suspect that your rear dropouts are more than 10 mm. If so, then you are relying mostly on torque arms. You need to fix this problem before the axle gets worn down worse. I even tried adding metal strip around the torque arms inside for tighter fit. But you say it is the same exact frame?
Torque arms give supplemental displacement of torque. A good rear frame fit or forks are still needed. That is a crooked looking fit in pics.

RTLSHIP said:
Kyleraee94 said:

I had a similar problem but mine was with the front fork slip out. The problem went away with different forks. I suspect that your rear dropouts are more than 10 mm. If so, then you are relying mostly on torque arms. You need to fix this problem before the axle gets worn down worse. I even tried adding metal strip around the torque arms inside for tighter fit. But you say it is the same exact frame?
Torque arms give supplemental displacement of torque. A good rear frame fit or forks are still needed. That is a crooked looking fit in pics. And a torque fitting without a long arm for hold down leverage?

RTLSHIP said:
RTLSHIP said:
Kyleraee94 said:

Torque arms give supplemental displacement of torque. A good rear frame fit or forks are still needed. That is a crooked looking fit in pics. And a torque fitting without a long arm

Back