Surron Motor Over temp protection

pharrow

1 µW
My surron keeps going into slow mode after about 20 min of riding sometimes less. The error code reads as "motor over temp error" The motor doesn't feel warm and I was advised to just short the thermo coupler wires coming from the motor to bypass this sensor. This seemed to work for a little while but now it drops back into slow mode all the time again and shows the same motor temp error. Any ideas of what could cause this? Mahalo!

I get this error every time I ride my bike up a hill, the motor drops into "eco mode" and Im limited in power until I turn the key off and on again. This process usually repeats until the battery is under 50 percent and then it seems to run fine. The motor doesn't feel hot and I was advised to bypass what might be a faulty temp sensor. Even with the sensor bypassed I still get the same error code (10 flashes on the diagnostic cable) Any ideas of how I can fix this problem? Would be nice to be able to goose the throttle without worrying about a cut out! Mahalo!

It is most likely to be a temperature sensor issue, whether it is a real overtemperature problem or not. It might not be in the sensor itself, but could be inside the controller, with a wiring fault, or circuit board problem, or even a faulty input on the MCU chip itself.

But something else to consider is that it is not uncommon for programmers to make incomplete error trees, so that whenever something doesn't fall under one of the specific codes they created, the system just defaults to the first or last code in the tree. (like, temperature error, etc). So it could be something else being reported as the error you see--it's not very likely, since it did fix the problem to bypass the sensor for a while.

Back