LO26 Samebike battery 48v 10.4ah versus BBSHD

fladam

1 mW
Hi all,

I recently entered the world of ebike customisation. Without really understanding how batteries work.

I purchased a Samebike L026, 500w (hub motor) which came with a stock 48v 10.4ah battery, last year. I recently decided that there was not enough power for hills or even flats, at least to support my weight of 90 kilos.

I wanted to buy a new bike, but fancied my chances at upgrading the Samebike instead. I watched countless Youtube vids (as you do), and went and purchased a:

Bafang 48v 1000w BBSHD motor.

I have charged the battery a few times now and on the Bafang 850C display, it only ever charges to 65% and never beyond. I assumed that this was because the controller on the motor had a different set up to the original Samebike controller, and also the bafang motor is compatible with a 52v battery. I also thought that my meagre 48v 10.4ah battery wasn't enough to power the motor sufficiently? I could almost live with that, but when I went for my first ride with a fully charged 65% of power, as I was cycling, the battery percentage dropped really rapidly, I couldn't travel too far as the battery was due to run out of charge. I managed a couple of miles, and returned home with 10% of battery life remaining. From 65% to 10% in not even an hour of riding.

Please help. Do I require more than 10.4ah's? I thought the motor would work with a 48v battery, the motor says it is a 48v 1000w motor.

I would appreciate any help. I am a battery noob, so please explain to me as though I'm a complete novice (which I am). Other than the battery power and depletion issues, the bike rides infinitely better than it did with the original Samebike hub motor.

Regards and thanks
Frank

You have more than double the stress on the battery pack which will significantly reduce it's life and performance. (500W+ to 1400W +) You can reduce the stress on the battery pack by using less current on your BBSHD by programming it.

As you've suspected, the BBSHD may be programmed for 52V which will cause your battery percentage to be off and the BBSHD will cut power sooner since the 48V pack will have a lower starting and ending voltage than a 52V battery pack.

I'm not versed in programming a BBSHD to check it's settings but there are many articles you can search for that explain it.

Thank you so much. That's a wonderful insight I didn't have before. All I need to do now is get a compatible cable so that I can use the config tool on the computer.

Again, thank you :bigthumb:

Back